What should I do now?

Praetor

Administrator
Staff member
i've always had weird problems with the computer. but i've got used to it.
problem such as?

lately my computer would start restarting on it's own when used
what power supply do you have?

also i have a western digital 40gb hard drive with window 2000 pro. i was wondering about using that hd and buy a me full version and go that route.
well you can start by getting rid of windowsme

the older Gateways have really bad power supplies. my four year old Gateway has a 250 watt PSU.
while im not defending Gateway PSUs (because i dont have the specs on them handy) -- just because they are 250w PSUs doesnt make them bad.

well.. the restarts only happen with i'm trying to use bit torrent. but every once in a while it would have errors on start up. and i no longer have the Gateway power supply. cause i blew it after the upgrade.
what are the system temperatures and voltages

is folder on me where it has all the drivers? and how exactly do i format a hard drive?
the drivers are prolly crammed into the \windows folder and various subfolders in there... i think i know what yer thinking... not an ideal way of getting drivers. if you are using something like winsows2000 or WindowsXP you can format during the install process

i've tried to plugingthe 40gb as a slave drive but for some reason it didn't show up under my computer. and i've set the jumper to slave.
is the other HDD set as master?

i would get xp regardless of any problems. me was a joke of an os. longhorn might come out soon though. they say 2006. however they say a lot of dates.
the longhorn suggestion is just plain silly as is the suggestion about it coming out 'soon' :p

i would first upgrade the power supply to a bigger wattage PSU.
worth noting that "bigger wattage" doesnt mean "better PSU" have a look at PSU 101

i think windows me has FAT32 as the format (is slow and old) so that will slow it down. the 19gig hd probably is a slow rpm and the ata/ is probably a little number and that will slow that down a lot. the hd is probably fragged (defrag it).
1. if yer formatting, defragging is kinda pointless
2. windowsme does indeed use FAT32

that's a good idea... i could install the 40gb 2000 pro. then just buy the xp home upgrade version. that will format my 40gb on install right?
if you're using windows2000 then why the additional expense of upgrading to xp home

also my mb supports sata... can i like convert my pata hd to sata?
no. you can use adaptors to convert them (although its kinda pointless and the adapters themselves arent exactly known for their reliability)

?. i never heard of pata. i've heard of sata tho. sata is faster, but you need to get the sata drives and those are expensive. (they cost between a ide drive and a scsi drive, i think)
read HDD 101. sata is a subset of ide/ata devices (just like pata is a subset)

can you guys tell me how good is my mobo?
hehe isnt it a bit late to ask that?;)

it can become a bit of a problem because it leaves extra files from the previous os most of the time.
it does? (considering you dont need to have 2000 installed *and* you are formatting before installing...)

some things about your mobo, it only supports a max FSB of 533mhz, meaning it wouldn't be able to support many modern P4s.
the FSB of 133mhz (not 533) isnt what limits support for modern Pentium4s but rather that the board supports S478 and Intel has discontinued that lineup

it's sad to hear that my mobo is crap... but i kinda expected it...i haven't been messing with computers after i put mine together few years ago. everything have changed so much.
it's not as bad as madmodder makes it out to be :p while the class of boards isnt the greates (obviously compared to modern standards), the board you've got there is for sure amoung the best of its class (and granitebay was a hell of a setup back in the day)

oh, and, sata drives aren't more expensive than pata drives.
uhhhh... for the most part... they are. (not by much, but they usually are $5 more)

pata and sata are entirely different interfaces. no, you cannot "convert" a pata hard-drive to a sata hard-drive. well...technically, if you had about 15 years with nothing to do, and about 5 years of electrical/computer training i'm sure you could manage to convert it, but that would be about as fun/easy to do as converting the pope to rastafarian.
while you cant physically mod the drive to sata you can make use of adapters

can you put some pictures of you computer, w/ the lights on. so i can see the computer better. (not the lights inside your computer)
lets stay on topic.

Last edited: