What was YOUR first GPU???

ADE

banned
OK, lets all remember a time, a time where 64MB graphics card were thought to be the limit of all performance graphics cards. Where 200MHz buss speeds were thought to be phenomenal, where excessive heat was something to be ironed. Where having a 900MHz micro processor was top of the line. When CD-ROM was so expensive you have to use a stolen credit card to get one. A time where YOU got your first graphics card.

What was YOUR first graphics card?

Diamondsleeper

The first one I had that was actually worth talking about was a Monster 3DfX on a PCI slot. The Voodoo Cards. I eventually got two. You could hook them together in what was then called SLI (single line interlace mode). 12MB memory each. That was a lot of power back in dem days. See the short little ribbon cable. That was for running two of them in SLI mode. Then you had to loop one back with the larger video cable. Wow that was way back. Found this pic on Ebay. Somebody actually still has one.
d5_1.jpg

Last edited:

Diamondsleeper

The first one I had that was actually worth talking about was a Monster 3D-X which on a PCI slot. You could hook them together in what was then called SLI (single line interlace mode). I can't remember how much ram was on it. It wasn't much. Found this pic on Ebay.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I'll just post them all :p

Tandy PC1000 - Tandy's TGA
Generic 486 - Trident with 512KB onboard
emachines 333k - Originally had an ATI Rage IIc 4MB, but I later upgraded to a Voodoo3 3000 PCI 16MB
Athlon 1.4 build - First a GF2 GTS 32MB, then a Radeon 8500 64MB
Athlon 64 4000 build - First a 6800GT 256MB, then a 7800GT 256MB
Compaq(3700+) - 6200 TC(64MB onboard, 256MB shared)
And then my current build :)

DCIScouts

VIP Member
I thought that my computer was a "tank" with a GeForce2 MX400. 32MB of RAM and could play Starcraft at full resolution! :D

chrisalviola

the first GPU i used was from a pentium 133mhz, the graphics card was a trident 1mb memory it can only play age 2 and startcraft at that time.

chrisalviola

has anyone seen these chip slots on our old vid card? it looks like a slot for memory upgrade

vid.jpg

Last edited:

lee101

VIP Member
First hting that did graphics:
8Mb Intel VooDoo 3, AGP, and licated under the slot 1 processor heatsink.
First proper graphics card: MSI Geforce 6200le 256Mb PCI-e x16 (not thatmuch of a graphics card, but it still does the job)