What you guys think of my new build (i7)?

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and thought I would post my rig and see what you guys think.

It consists of:
Intel 920 i7 2.66 stock @ 3.9ghz
Thermalright IFX-14 cooler
Asus P6T Deluxe
12GB Patriot Viper 1600 DDR3 ram (6x2gb tiple channel)
2 Radeon 4870x2's in Crossfire
4 Western Digital 500gb RE2's in raid 5
Corsair HX1000 watt PSU
Antec 1200

Right now I have it oc'd to 3.9ghz with idle temps around 26-28 and max on all 8 threads around 65-67. It does really well in most games out there. Most of the time I play with all max settings in game at 1920 x 1200. The only game that slows a bit is Crysis with all max settings it dips in the 40fps range.

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Scubie67

Hey guys, I am new to the forums and thought I would post my rig and see what you guys think.

It consists of:
Intel 920 i7 2.66 stock @ 3.9ghz
Thermalright IFX-14 cooler
Asus P6T Deluxe
12GB Patriot Viper 1600 DDR3 ram (6x2gb tiple channel)
2 Radeon 4870x2's in Crossfire
4 Western Digital 500gb RE2's in raid 5
Corsair HX1000 watt PSU
Antec 1200

Right now I have it oc'd to 3.9ghz with idle temps around 26-28 and max on all 8 threads around 65-67. It does really well in most games out there. Most of the time I play with all max settings in game at 1920 x 1200. The only game that slows a bit is Crysis with all max settings it dips in the 40fps range.

Picture012.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Yeah I saw your rig stats on another thread in the Cpu section .Thats a really nice rig .I havent decided yet whether or not to go with a Hd 4870 X2 or the new Gtx 295.Both are pretty good.

How is scaling with Quad X fire with 2 HD4870 X2's on the I7 BTW?

Is it as good as the Sli?

Oh And BTW ...Welcome to the Computer forum.Its one of the best and most active computer related sites around I have found :)

Yeah I saw your rig stats on another thread in the Cpu section .Thats a really nice rig .I havent decided yet whether or not to go with a Hd 4870 X2 or the new Gtx 295.Both are pretty good.

How is scaling with Quad X fire with 2 HD4870 X2's on the I7 BTW?

Is it as good as the Sli?

Oh And BTW ...Welcome to the Computer forum.Its one of the best and most active computer related sites around I have found :)

Thanks for your comments man.

With my i7, my gpus are the bottle neck in my computer. To be honest Quad fire isn't worth it. I basically paid 600 bucks to get 5-10 more fps in most games and be able to run 8xAA. The GTX 295 beats out this card up to 1920x1200 but because ATi has 1 gb of ram per gpu and more mature drivers right now, the 4870x2 beats it at the higher resolutions.

I just bought this and wont be switching to the GTX 295's. When the next gen stuff comes out tho I will.

Scubie67

Thanks for your comments man.

With my i7, my gpus are the bottle neck in my computer. To be honest Quad fire isn't worth it. I basically paid 600 bucks to get 5-10 more fps in most games and be able to run 8xAA. The GTX 295 beats out this card up to 1920x1200 but because ATi has 1 gb of ram per gpu and more mature drivers right now, the 4870x2 beats it at the higher resolutions.

I just bought this and wont be switching to the GTX 295's. When the next gen stuff comes out tho I will.

Cool ,thx for your honest reply.The Sli'ed Gtx 295's benchies look pretty good from a couple of reviews I have seen I guess the I7 prefers them.Regardless though I was pretty much going to just start off with 1 card myself and maybe pick up 1 later as the prices drop.I game at 1920 x1200 (27.5 " Hannspree) so the 2500 x1600 doesnt really matter to me

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
wow sweet rig mate,but 12Gb of ram thats OVERKILL :D

should have just got 6Gb in tripple channel because i doubt you will notice any difference goinf from 6-12 :)

just a noob

dammit! lol there goes my chance of being number 1 when i get everything :S and why didn't you use a true(thermalright ultra extreme)?

Scubie67

Yep you have the strongest rig on here I would say and furnish the pics to back it up.You kept it cleanly cable routed to.good Job! :)

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Nice. My i7 stuff will be here Wednesday. I went with the Foxconn Blood Rage board.

Thanks guys for all the awesome comments. To answer some of your guys questions:

Why 12gigs of ram? I run multiple virtual windows at a time and it can be very straining on the ram. I have gotten my usage up to close to 10gigs so it really is useful.

Why no bridge on the cards? The old crossifire setups used to require that you had the 2 bridges connected to the cards. The new setup only uses one but is not required for crossfire to work. I do use it, I just left it out when I was taking the pictures.

Why dont I have a true 120 cooler? When I was ordering the parts for my computer all the LGA1333 coolers were on back order so instead I bought the Thermalright IFX14 that was made for the lga775 socket. I modified the bracket to work the newer socket. I am very pleased about this actually as my temps are super low with my oc. Right now I idle around 29 and max is about 65. At stock speeds my temps were 25 idle and 52 max.

And I havent posted the 3dmark06 score yet but I score near 25,000 (like 24800 or so) so I will be doing that shortly. Again thanks everyone for your comments and I hope to be part of the these forums for a long time.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
And I havent posted the 3dmark06 score yet but I score near 25,000 (like 24800 or so) so I will be doing that shortly. Again thanks everyone for your comments and I hope to be part of the these forums for a long time.

When you're ready, post your score in this thread. You'll probably take the top spot. :D

funkysnair

VIP Member
very impressive rig there mate!

im thinking if it was mine i would fill it up with water cooling and cathodes

i do like the specs but i think i would have stuck with 1 4870x2, get the 3d mark posted up m8 should be killer

Nice. My i7 stuff will be here Wednesday. I went with the Foxconn Blood Rage board.

Very nice man. The i7 is amazing. The amount you can OC is crazy. Also clock for clock it is one of the best processors out there. Just curious why did you go with the Bloodrage?