Whats the best/easiest webpage development software

Stildawn

Hi all..

I have no web skills lol so it needs to be easy lol.. Ive used Frontpage before and was pretty easy lol. But heard Dreamweaver is the man? Is it too advanced for someone like me lol?

g4m3rof1337

Hi all..

I have no web skills lol so it needs to be easy lol.. Ive used Frontpage before and was pretty easy lol. But heard Dreamweaver is the man? Is it too advanced for someone like me lol?

If you know generally nothing about web design and stuff, Dreamweaver will probably be too advanced. Depending on what you're doing, check out a CMS, Content Management System. One of the best ones is Joomla, which I use on my site, and love it. You design the site with templates that range in different styles and stuff, then the backend is pretty much like a blog. Very simplistic.

Stildawn

Ah ok Ill check it out...

Just after something that I can design pages like I would in word/publisher/powerpoint etc... Then be able to create multiple webpages within a site that link etc together (by making hyperlinks etc) then when Ive got it completed.. Mapped out etc etc I can then just publish to the host and it publishes all the stuff/pages/links etc etc.

I know frontpage used to do that.. But I cant find a new version of that.. I think its turned into Expression Web... Which I tried but wasnt anywhere near as easy..?

Last edited:

Stildawn

So I looked around Zoomla...

What the hell is a CMS lol I know content Management system... but does that mean it is a program that creates webpages? I need something that basically gives me a plank white page that I can put text and titles and pictures and links to other pages on?

tlarkin

VIP Member
So I looked around Zoomla...

What the hell is a CMS lol I know content Management system... but does that mean it is a program that creates webpages? I need something that basically gives me a plank white page that I can put text and titles and pictures and links to other pages on?

It is a system that you create content from with in the site. No longer would you use apps like dreamweaver or the like. There are also modules, that people develop which act like apps and plug ins for your site. For example, I just added the GeSHi plug in on my site, which allows me to wrap code in color based on syntax.

http://tlarkin.com/blog/testing-out-geshi

Now, if you click on that link and view my bash code, you will see that the plug in ( id est - the module) called GeSHi automatically formatted my syntax by color code to make my script look more "pretty." and perhaps to emulate those fancy text editors that do that stuff for you as well.

Also, notice how the path of that link I send you, has the title in the path. The "testing-out-geshi" is another module I downloaded on my site called, Path Auto. Pathauto allows for whenever you create content for it to snip the title in the path to said content. It makes things a lot easier once you build a site, then all you need to do is fill it with content.

I use Drupal because all my friends who are web developers by trade swear by it. Once I was introduced to drush, another module for Drupal, I was completely sold.

Hope that helps explain it better.

Stildawn

um... I know nothing about code... Nothing lol. So if thats all those programs do is code stuff then Im screwed....

Does anyone remember or used the old Frontpage.. It was basically word but instead of word docs it made websites lol.

tlarkin

VIP Member
um... I know nothing about code... Nothing lol. So if thats all those programs do is code stuff then Im screwed....

Does anyone remember or used the old Frontpage.. It was basically word but instead of word docs it made websites lol.

It is in your benefit to learn the basics. A CMS does require you to know some basics but if you don't mind using built in themes, you can build a site with very little knowledge of coding.

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you just use Google to search for CSS, HTML, Java and so forth tutorials you should find free resources.

Machin3

I was going to say Dreamweaver also but I agree that it is a little too advanced. I am currently working with CSS but its a school class. I would say thats the easiest way to make a simple webpage. You know, if you really want to pursue web design then you should go and try to find a relatively cheap but effective class that will teach you basics and such.

tlarkin

VIP Member
You made all that yourself? Looks nice... Was it hard?

Ok well ill give it a go and see what I can figure out lol.

No man you can just use built in themes to build your site...

You will have to learn some basics of the CMS you choose to use though. It doesn't wipe your own butt for you, so you will have to learn terminology and how to install things and what not.

g4m3rof1337

You made all that yourself? Looks nice... Was it hard?

Ok well ill give it a go and see what I can figure out lol.

That's all Joomla. I found a template I liked, then made a banner, and uploaded everything (articles/submissions, banner, ect.) all in Joomla. You can even get extensions for like a flash gallery, a forum, ect. That's what I use on mine and it looks and runs great.

Stildawn

Ok now my next question lol.

How on earth do you install this stuff? Is it not a program or something? Theres not .exe or anything like that that I can find when I download it..

Ive tried both Zoomla and Drupal.

tlarkin

VIP Member

How on earth do you install this stuff? Is it not a program or something? Theres not .exe or anything like that that I can find when I download it..

Do you have a web server that meets the requirements for either or both CMS systems?

I can walk you through drupal very easily

g4m3rof1337

You'll have to install it via FTP, which sounds confusing, but just read up on it and it's simple. Or you can find a web host that will install it automatically. GoDaddy does it, and I'm sure others do it as well.