whats this screenshot mean!

fcuk_jg

I have a wireless network and I was just wondering what does the speed mean in the screenshot....??
for somereason when I connect its at 54Mbps then it keeps dropping to 48, 36, and 24..when its at 24 ive noticed the my download speeds are slow..this has been going on for the last few weeks!
is their anyway to keep it a 54Mbps thx

router netgear dg54bg
NIC 2200BG
Internet Speed 1MB

Attachments

• spd.JPG
    spd.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 209

jesbax

it is probily the most relible speed is can maintain. 24mbs is still a good speed. Where is the computer when you log on to the network and where is the recever at. IF there is a wall in between or you move around with your computer this will efect the conection speed. the more opsicals in the way more interfiece it will produce.

TheChef

That is the amount of information that can pass between his computer and the router in the network. It is 24 Megabytes per second, a very fast speed.

kof2000

i always get 54mbps, i tried testing it moving it all over the house i still get 54mbps just make sure you are not using cellphones cordless phones near it that has the same fequencies, also if you cannot get 54mbps try changing the wireless channel in your router to another channel. trial and error.

pcmagic

Mbps is not to be confused with MBps (megabytes per second). Also see Kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, and all that.
Mbps stands for millions of bits per second or megabits per second and is a measure of bandwidth (the total information flow over a given time) on a telecommunications medium. Depending on the medium and the transmission method, bandwidth is also sometimes measured in the Kbps (thousands of bits or kilobits per second) range or the Gbps (billions of bits or gigabits per second) range.

A megabit is a million binary pulses, or 1,000,000 (that is, 106) pulses (or "bits"). For example, a U.S. phone company T-carrier system line is said to sustain a data rate of 1.544 megabits per second. Megabits per second is usually shortened to Mbps.

Some sources define a megabit to mean 1,048,576 (that is, 220) bits. Although the bit is a unit of the binary number system, bits in data communications are discrete signal pulses and have historically been counted using the decimal number system. For example, 28.8 kilobits per second (Kbps) is 28,800 bits per second. Because of computer architecture and memory address boundaries, bytes are always some multiple or exponent of two. See kilobyte, etc.

fcuk_jg

my laptop is less than 5 metres away from the router so i dont see why the speed isnt always on 54...it was upon till about 2 weeks ago.
also next week im getting 8MB broad band (yay me) so will i notice a slow down if the speed keeps dropping to 24Mbps.

atomic

I dont see how your thinking works...If your maximum download rate will be 8mbps and your connection to your router is 24mbps you shouldnt see any drop in performance at all...the only time you would see a drop in performance is say, you was transferring files from one pc to another over the network, and your used to them transferring at 54mbps. :)

dyserq

Yea my parents pay about umm say 70 or so australian dollars for unlimited broadband
12 gegabytes to use
20 gegabytes for off peak downloads which is between 2 and 9 in the morning australia time
I agree with pcmagic that it is the downloads that count

kof2000

it wont matter much if you're not a heavy downloader and if the cap limit and stuff can lower the price alot and you're not going over the limit then is all good.

4W4K3

VIP Member
my connection is 108Mbps with wireless-G internet (using D-Link router and wireless cards)

have SBC Yahoo DSL, usually get 1.5MBps up and 500KBps down. Alot faster than my Verizon DSL i used to have...so im happy :)

Archangel

VIP Member
I think (if the connection worked on 54mbs before) the router needs to be resetted to factory settings. but, you'll have to reinstall the internet connection then.

fcuk_jg

kof2000 said:
looks like he didnt disable his windows firewall maybe thats why he's getting only 24mbps.
is that whats causing it becuase I do use the windows firewall as my main firewall...??

Modoman

wow... this thread makes my dsl look puny at 200kbps max download on my wireless b...
its ok, soon im movin out and ill have a local t3 connection mwuhaha