whats this screenshot mean!

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
fcuk_jg said:
1mb id be happy with that :)....its only costing £29 a month for unlimited 8mb broadband
do youy live in central london, cuz thats the onlynplace that 8Mb broadband is atm. otherwise id go with bulldog broadband

fcuk_jg

do youy live in central london, cuz thats the onlynplace that 8Mb broadband is atm. otherwise id go with bulldog broadband
No i live in birmingham...i thought this too but we rang up the company and they said it is avaliable ...

Muhaaha 8MB....sureley theres got to be a catch £30 for 8MB seems unreal?

fcuk_jg

If you have a cordless phone on the 2.4 GHz fequency, either get a 5.8GHz or get a 900 MHz
this does seemed to have slowed down since we installed another wireless phone...but i tried turning it off for 5 mins and then looked at the noise level in netstumbler but it didnt increase...

DanLatimer

TheChef said:
That is the amount of information that can pass between his computer and the router in the network. It is 24 Megabytes per second, a very fast speed.
are u sure its not 24megabits per second? bc thats what i thought it was,
24/8 = 3megabytes/sec?

DanLatimer

fcuk_jg said:
No i live in birmingham...i thought this too but we rang up the company and they said it is avaliable ...

i think he means 8megabits/sec that isnt uncommon for a ISP

oh and my ISP just upgraded its cable to 10Mbs!! woot im happy with my 1.2megabytes/sec downloading

Last edited:

elmarcorulz

VIP Member
fcuk_jg said:

what isp you with then? i might look into them when my contract ends

Rambo

pcmagic said:
Mbps is not to be confused with MBps (megabytes per second). Also see Kilo, mega, giga, tera, peta, and all that.
Mbps stands for millions of bits per second or megabits per second and is a measure of bandwidth (the total information flow over a given time) on a telecommunications medium. Depending on the medium and the transmission method, bandwidth is also sometimes measured in the Kbps (thousands of bits or kilobits per second) range or the Gbps (billions of bits or gigabits per second) range.

A megabit is a million binary pulses, or 1,000,000 (that is, 106) pulses (or "bits"). For example, a U.S. phone company T-carrier system line is said to sustain a data rate of 1.544 megabits per second. Megabits per second is usually shortened to Mbps.

Some sources define a megabit to mean 1,048,576 (that is, 220) bits. Although the bit is a unit of the binary number system, bits in data communications are discrete signal pulses and have historically been counted using the decimal number system. For example, 28.8 kilobits per second (Kbps) is 28,800 bits per second. Because of computer architecture and memory address boundaries, bytes are always some multiple or exponent of two. See kilobyte, etc.

http://whatis.techtarget.com/definition/0,,sid9_gci212534,0.html

:)

loeakaodas

4W4K3 said:
my connection is 108Mbps with wireless-G internet (using D-Link router and wireless cards)

have SBC Yahoo DSL, usually get 1.5MBps up and 500KBps down. Alot faster than my Verizon DSL i used to have...so im happy :)
Do you live far away from the CO, b/c i have Verizon DSL with 3000 Mbps down and 768 Kbps up. Soon to get FIOS, hopefully this year...

4W4K3

VIP Member
loeakaodas said:
Do you live far away from the CO, b/c i have Verizon DSL with 3000 Mbps down and 768 Kbps up. Soon to get FIOS, hopefully this year...

i dunno what "CO" is, so i guess so lol. My old verizon used to be 768Kbpsup/100Kbps down i believe. i was lucky to get half that sharing connection with 5+ other computer as well.