When building a computer...

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Please consult the experts... Today was a major fail day for many people...

Case #1 - Guts were moved from one case to another. Worked before the move, no post
Solution #1 - No ATX12v plugged into the motherboard. Catastrophic hard drive failure (drive showing up in bios as bzbzbzbzb...)

Case #2 - New build using new and old parts. Computer won't do anything.
Solution #2 - Front panel wires go to proprietary connection which was plugged in the firewire header. All drives were IDE and set to master. Missing 12v power to the board.

Case #3 - Burning smell then no post. PSU tested fine.
Solution #3 - Customer inserted CPU incorrectly and bent the pins on the board.

And these were just a few things I came across today at work :p

ScOuT

VIP Member
Wow...it really is amazing the things people do without consulting somebody. All they had to do was log into CF or go to their local computer store...LOL!

I guess the new job is treating you well, sounds like you enjoy it :D

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Oh gosh I love it there! Pretty much always got a computer waiting to be fixed, though many are the same issue (virus/spyware/malware) But then you get these interesting ones. I heard another technician talking with a customer. Apparently the power jack broke, so they stuck some wires through the case and ending up completely shorting out the board. Another brought 3 machines in asking them to make 1 PC out of them... I also got some photos of cheesy capacitors :p

philaaay

Oh man, those are some pretty bad ones... I, too, have come across a few fail moments:

1. Guy on the phone calls, saying he has problems on removing some programs. I told him to open the Control Panel and look for the Add/Remove Programs option. He said he'd try it and give me a call back. He calls back and says, "Well, I opened up the computer, but I don't know where the control panel is."

I was speechless.

2. A lady buys a wireless router and takes it home. She brought it back to me, saying that she was lied to, both by us and the advertising for the router (Linksys Wireless-G router). I asked her what the problem was and she says, "what do these cables do?" (she was referring to the power cord) and I said, "Ma'am, that's to plug the router into the wall to power it."

She replies, "How is this product considered wireless, then?"

3. Guy brings in a computer and looks like he jammed a PCI-express card into an AGP slot (how is that even possible?!) and when trying to pull it back out, he ended up taking out the AGP slot with it.

I love working IT! :p

BuddyLee81

Oh man, those are some pretty bad ones... I, too, have come across a few fail moments:

1. Guy on the phone calls, saying he has problems on removing some programs. I told him to open the Control Panel and look for the Add/Remove Programs option. He said he'd try it and give me a call back. He calls back and says, "Well, I opened up the computer, but I don't know where the control panel is."

I was speechless.

2. A lady buys a wireless router and takes it home. She brought it back to me, saying that she was lied to, both by us and the advertising for the router (Linksys Wireless-G router). I asked her what the problem was and she says, "what do these cables do?" (she was referring to the power cord) and I said, "Ma'am, that's to plug the router into the wall to power it."

She replies, "How is this product considered wireless, then?"

3. Guy brings in a computer and looks like he jammed a PCI-express card into an AGP slot (how is that even possible?!) and when trying to pull it back out, he ended up taking out the AGP slot with it.

I love working IT! :p

Wish I was working IT right about now. I'd like to give customers a piece of my mind