Where can i get linux?

Motoxrdude

I have been wanting to use linux but i cannot find it. Can you guys please give me a link or where i can get it i would appreciate it . Thanks

The_One

try debian [debian.org I believe], or archlinux, though that one's hard, but whatever you're going to use, be ready to come into some troubles with setting up the network to make internet work...

Motoxrdude

Alright i got Archlinux. IM not sure how to install linux so im going to need some help. I got version 0.7. I only have one blank cd left so im just going to make sure how to do this. Should i leave it in iso and burn it or should i extract the iso than burn it?

lee101

VIP Member
You need to extract the iso, then burn it, use some software like CD BUrner XP Pro, it's free and has loads of features. you get it from here - http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ , once you have instaled it start it up then on the window that opens select the top option (burn/create iso...), wait for it to load, then click file>write disc from iso file, then locate your iso file and burn it to your cd
Lee

Motoxrdude

Whoo there. You said extract the iso that later u said locate the iso and burn it. if i extracted the iso that i wouldnt have an iso. Please clarify

The_One

Are you sure you're ready for Linux?

I don't think you should really start off with ArchLinux anymore, should've got Debian but if you already burnt ArchLinux then try to install it, but good luck on setting up the network. Make sure you have all your IP information written down.

Blue

<b>VIP Member</b>
So woul i be buring one file, the iso, or burning all the files inside the iso?

The iso is a cd image. You point your burning software towards the image with a blank disk in your burner and you'll do fine. Don't extract it. Also I recommend Suse or Mandriva.

timothyb89

if you burn the .ISO file, then nothing wuld happen.
Get CD burner XP Pro. Someone already posted a link to it. Install it and open it. The main screen *should* have an option for burning an ISO. Click the button, find your file, and burn. Restart your computer with the burned CD in the drive, and it will boot in the Linux installer.

Good Luck! ;-)

timothyb89

Another thing you should think about...

Seeing that you are new to Linux, go have fun and experament with VMWare. It free :D . Here are some basic directions:

(1.) Go to http://www.vmware.com/download/player/ and download and install it.
(2.)Extract the .zip file at http://timothyb89.home.comcast.net/vmtmplt.zip to a directory you can remember.
(3.)Go to the folder where the contents of the zip file are.
(4.)These are templates for most major OS. Open the one that your CD is. If it is not there, choose "Other Linux"
(5.)Put your burned Linux CD or DVD in your CD drive.
(6.)In the VMWare folder you just opened, double-click on the .vmdk file inside the folder.
(7.)A VMWare window open. The Linux CD that is in your drive will start, but it will be like booting another computer inside your running one. Now you can feel free to install Linux this way, and you won't need to worry about doing something bad to your computer
(8.)Take note that it will take about 3 GB of space on your computer to install Linux, with or without VMWare.
(9.)After Linux is installed, take out the CD or DVD you used and now when your want to use Linux, you can run it inside Windows.

Good Luck!

geese

Motoxrdude said:
So woul i be buring one file, the iso, or burning all the files inside the iso?

Its very easy. use a burning program like nero. From nero locate your cd image and use the option to "burn as a CD image". You do not have extract anything.

Motoxrdude

ALright thanks you guys, i was pretty sure that was the way you do it but i wanted to be sure because i only have one blank cd left. Ill let u know how it goes.

Motoxrdude

Alright, i burned it, booted it up, now theres a menu that says prepare hard drive, and a lot of other stuff, im not sure what to do here so if you can help that would be great.

The_One

well, whatever version you eneded up getting, try going to google.com and searching for a guide, it would be too long for anyone here to write it down step by step, I don't think anyone who's installed it before would remember excatly how to do it ;]

Motoxrdude

Alright thanks. Now that i have it i will try wahtever. Usually i just google search, read, and tweak with stuff and it eventually works for me. :)

The_One

yeah, but really man, I don't think we could give you a step by step installation guide, maybe just tell me what version did you get and i'll see if i can find you that guide.