Which 8800GTS card should I get

12-Gauge

I think that Diorhomme is a polite, mild-mannered, honest and knowledgeable gentleman...........ahahahahahahahahahahahaha lmao :D :D :D Sorry, I was trying to see how long I could keep a straight face :)

Now that you brought it up, how do I get better cooling when in comparison of a Superclocked 8800GTS 320Mb vs. OC'ed 8800GTS 640Mb? If you OC them the same amount there is no difference, IT IS THE SAME GPU.

Geoff

VIP Member
Now that you brought it up, how do I get better cooling when in comparison of a Superclocked 8800GTS 320Mb vs. OC'ed 8800GTS 640Mb? If you OC them the same amount there is no difference, IT IS THE SAME GPU.
The only two differences are the amount of RAM, and the price.

[-0MEGA-];676645 said:
The only two differences are the amount of RAM, and the price.

He doesn't get that, I have tried to make that point and he just doesn't comprehend, wonder what he will do when he sees a BSOD?

Here's the 'story-line', I suggested a 640Mb and said it was better than his 320Mb, I didn't know his was Superclocked. Therefore, it spawns this 7 page thread.

Last edited:

cquence

Wow...if I knew that this thread was going to be a war of words, I wouldnt have started it. Anyways, does anyone know when the new DX10 cards coming out? Is it worth the hype? Cause I am thinking about building my new system now, but might want to hold of till the Intel price drop in July and wait for the new card to come out. If not, I will get the 640MB 8800GTS (I might want to go bigger monitor in the near near future :)) How about this...I buy the 8800GTS now and use it on my old system. I have the AMD 64 3500+, ASUS A8N-Sli Deluxe board, and 1GB or RAM? Should I do that and wait for the CPU's to drop?

Last edited:

Geoff

VIP Member
Hey, lets make it 10 pages, kids, say something stupid again.
Finally, you've run out of info to try and prove your case.

When i've clearly states that any overclocked 8800GTS 320MB will outperform a stock 640MB, except at high resolutions.

But if someone runs games and has a monitor that can support high resolutions, or plans to play DX10 games on high settings, the stock 640MB will show higher framerates.

[-0MEGA-];676678 said:
Finally, you've run out of info to try and prove your case.

When i've clearly states that any overclocked 8800GTS 320MB will outperform a stock 640MB, except at high resolutions.

But if someone runs games and has a monitor that can support high resolutions, or plans to play DX10 games on high settings, the stock 640MB will show higher framerates.

You just proved my case

Diorhomme

Wow...if I knew that this thread was going to be a war of words, I wouldnt have started it. Anyways, does anyone know when the new DX10 cards coming out? Is it worth the hype? Cause I am thinking about building my new system now, but might want to hold of till the Intel price drop in July and wait for the new card to come out. If not, I will get the 640MB 8800GTS (I might want to go bigger monitor in the near near future :))

The new DX10 cards from Nvidia are expected to arrive in Q4 2007, not sure if it's worth the wait, but the rumors are they are gonna performs twice as good as the current top cards... which is.. fast :) Not sure about ATI.

Last edited:

12-Gauge

any overclocked 8800GTS 320MB will outperform a stock 640MB, except at high resolutions.

You summed it up quite nicely. That is the bottom line and if this chap continues to reject these facts then he is only going to make himself look like more of a fool.

Diorhomme

[-0MEGA-];676678 said:

For 11th time, have I ever tried to dispute that? I was SPECIFICALLY talking about resolutions of 1280x1024 or lower.

Wow...if I knew that this thread was going to be a war of words, I wouldnt have started it. Anyways, does anyone know when the new DX10 cards coming out? Is it worth the hype? Cause I am thinking about building my new system now, but might want to hold of till the Intel price drop in July and wait for the new card to come out. If not, I will get the 640MB 8800GTS (I might want to go bigger monitor in the near near future :))

An 8900 is supposed to come out in late Summer-Early Fall, there is supposed to be an 8950GX2 for $600. It is similar to the way the 7950 works, in other words, two GPU's. This 8950GX2 will have a total of 1024Mb of VRAM, 512Mb per GPU.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/NVIDIA-Strikes-Back-With-New-GeForce-8900-Series-47233.shtml

cquence

Damn thats a little out of my budget. But it might be a waste to get the 8800GTS now. What do you think?

8800GTS is kinda struggling at some points in DX10, for right now, faults in software & hardware. It is just a new thing, give DX10 time to 'seal'. I am waiting, I guess I could recommend you to wait.