Which 8800GTS card should I get

12-Gauge

Dual SLI is already Quad

Yeah, that's what I thought. You only need two units and you've essentially got four graphics cards! If it's anything like the 7950GX2 though, it will be chunky and idle at like 80'C

Yeah, that's what I thought. You only need two units and you've essentially got four graphics cards! If it's anything like the 7950GX2 though, it will be chunky and idle at like 80'C

Call on the loud Sunon Fans and Vantec PCI blowers, lol. Maybe it will be released with water cooling.

Diorhomme

Did someone just use theinquirer.net as a source of info? hahaha
This is pathetic, I'm done with this forum. Back to places where people actually know what they are talking about and don't allow kids 13y.o to be on PC forums giving out false advice. Picking an LCD with 800:1 contrast and 160/160 viewing angles instead of the one for the same money with 3000:1 and 170/170 angels because ... get this, 3000:1 is over-doing it according to INTELCRAZY :D Personal insults are fine? No moderation whatsoever?
WTF am I doing here?
Admin or moderators if you see this post please delete my forum account, I couldn't find such feature in the CP.
Grow up kids.

Geoff

VIP Member
The inquirer is an awful place for a source. It has some cool gossip, but its usually not true.

They said a while back AMD was working on reverse hyperthreading, then a week later they said they werent.

12-Gauge

The inquirer is an awful place for a source. It has some cool gossip, but its usually not true.

yeah, but I knew that they weren't lying about the 8950GX2 because there's info on that all over the internet.

cquence

8800GTS is kinda struggling at some points in DX10, for right now, faults in software & hardware. It is just a new thing, give DX10 time to 'seal'. I am waiting, I guess I could recommend you to wait.

So should I wait for the 8900 to come out then get the 8800GTX? Im sure the price will be somewhere close to the 8800GTS with 640mb right?

Schonza

It's really up to you, whether you want to spend your money now or later. If the system you have is just cutting it, then yeah, you may want to wait. However, waiting for long periods of time for new technology can be a little bit pointless sometimes, as some new CPU/GPU's might fail, they may not be as good as once thought. (which was what happened with the R600?)

If you try and buy the best, you'll be wasting money, because you'll finally go, "Well, I've got the best of best now" then 2-3 months later, "Well, there's new stuff out, why didn't I wait?". The way to think about you need to buy is, how future proof you want it to be, what you want your system to do, and what your budget is. My advice, probably buy an 8800 gts now, but that's just me, because I know it'll last me at least 3-4 years, I mean my 7600GS has lasted me about 18 months so far, and I have no intention (at the moment) to upgrade.

ADE

banned
Just like I thought, you have no idea what you are talking about when it comes to guaranteed overclock cards.

Oh I'm sorry, were you trying to insult me? I was busy playing a game with my OC 8800GTS 640MB at the time. oh and by the way, i can OC higher than the so called "guaranteed OC cards"

Did someone just use theinquirer.net as a source of info? hahaha
This is pathetic, I'm done with this forum. Back to places where people actually know what they are talking about and don't allow kids 13y.o to be on PC forums giving out false advice. Picking an LCD with 800:1 contrast and 160/160 viewing angles instead of the one for the same money with 3000:1 and 170/170 angels because ... get this, 3000:1 is over-doing it according to INTELCRAZY :D Personal insults are fine? No moderation whatsoever?
WTF am I doing here?
Admin or moderators if you see this post please delete my forum account, I couldn't find such feature in the CP.
Grow up kids.

Mine wasn't a POS LG was it? You tell me what you are doing here, you never are sure what point you are making.

Also, share with us your rig.

cquence

Anyone have an idea how much the 8800GTX will drop in price when the new 8900 comes out? Cause the 8800GTS is like 380 right now and the GTX is like 550. Hopefully it drops down to the price of the GTS :( Cause I want to wait for the GTX.

Anyone have an idea how much the 8800GTX will drop in price when the new 8900 comes out? Cause the 8800GTS is like 380 right now and the GTX is like 550. Hopefully it drops down to the price of the GTS :( Cause I want to wait for the GTX.

I am gonna say a drop to $450-$480, that neighborhood is to be expected.

hermeslyre

VIP Member
EVGA has a step up plan. Buy a card, within 90 days trade it in for a new one and only pay the difference.. cool, huh?

Not mentioning their great quality, significantly lower prices and superb customer support.

Sound like a fanboy i do..

cquence

EVGA has a step up plan. Buy a card, within 90 days trade it in for a new one and only pay the difference.. cool, huh?

Not mentioning their great quality, significantly lower prices and superb customer support.

Sound like a fanboy i do..

How does that work? Will it still work like say you buy your card from like Newegg.com or Zipzoomfly.com or anything like that? That would be cool knowing that the new 8900's coming out. I was looking to get the EVGA card though.