Which Hard Drive should I pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC eye

banned
I've been running two of the WD models for over a year now having moved those and one of two ide drives into a newer build. Now with the ide drive gone the pair see XP on one and Vista on the other as well as ubuntu.

The 32mb cache is always a plus and Seagate is another good brand there. Either will see about 465gb after the initial partitioning and formatting of the drive selected. I've been running WD drives for over 10yrs. at this time without one failure except for one loaned out where the owner neglected to maintain the case and the drive overheated!

Other then that price is the only other concern seeing the $10 difference. The cache is actually more of a memory buffer where the microcontroller on the drive will signal the main system that data has been written to the drive's platters while still being held in memory so that the system can continue on.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I heard that HDD's don't even use all 32 MB of cache, so theres no point in having it so big. They only use like 12 MB I believe.

911aaron

I see... So what do you think would be a better choice? I think its basically a choice between speed or quality. (seagate being the speed and western digital being the quality) (I know seagate has great quality products but if you look at the ratings this one got compared to the WD, seems like the WD has the better quality in this scenario.)

Cleric7x9

to be honest, i think that both of those drives are great, and its really a toss up. for only $10 more the seagate is probably quieter, but idk how much you would really notice it

PC eye

banned
I've seen great results running a pair of the exact same WD model here with both seeing one version of Windows on. XP still needs a large primary for working with video captures at times while Vista has been set as the default for some time. Seagate would be the alternative brand when looking at the others seen. And they never even make a sound.

SirKenin

banned
lol. The WD SE is a total piece of crap for anything but the lightest of duties.. If anyone tries to steer you otherwise, chances are good they have little or no actual experience.. Take it for what it's worth.. absolutely nothing.

I can tell you a ton of stories about crap WD drives. They really are that bad. Get the Seagate and thank us later.

PC eye

banned
The pair of AAKS 500gb drives are running quite well thank you! I've used SE models as well for several years on various builds as well as others have found them reliable even when placing good loads on them. But as usual the peanut gallery has to come in and make some noise. You don't have to spend an extra $20 to see a WD work out there.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Your best bet is to completely ignore PCeye. Theres a reason the SE model only has a 3 year warranty and the W/D RE has 5 and the Seagate has 5 years.

PC eye

banned
Another comment from the peanut gallery as expected. :rolleyes:

911aaron you are simply better off going with the drive you feel will work for you the best despite the last minute noise others like to throw in.

jw214

westen digital has been around longer than seagate. i personally have always used seagate and never had a problem. my mom has a seagate in her single core athlon build that i built 8yrs ago. still works !

SirKenin

banned
The RE is an enterprise level hard drive. It has a much higher duty cycle and MTBF. In short, it's far more reliable than the Caviar SE. The Caviar SE is a budget unit. It's cheap...for a reason. I repair an SE about once a day, or every two days. I've lost a huge pile of them over the years and have half a dozen dead SEs at my office ATM.

Data is irreplaceable. You don't send a boy to do a man's job...and you don't use a POS unit to store a computer's most important asset.

I've run into several instances where so-called "techs" have placed SE harddrives into mission critical applications. I just ran into it again two days ago.. In every single instance, the SE crapped out. Sooo... if someone tries to sell you on an SE.. Think three times... Realize they don't know what they're doing... And walk away.

EDIT: I'll let you in on a little "secret". People pitch the SE because it costs us $2.00 less on average to buy one than a Seagate. I don't believe for a second that people like PC eye do anywhere near enough volume to realize this.. I think people like him pitch them because they actually don't know any better and the mom and pop shop they buy them from pitches them for the two dollar savings.

I have over a dozen different suppliers, and you quickly get used to their product lines.. I have two or three low end suppliers that I have to be very picky what I buy off them.. and they pitch the WD SE. I then have three top tier suppliers.. And they pitch RE, Raptor and Seagate. They're also the ones that I buy my Asus, Supermicro, Corsair, etc. from.

However.. When you do significant volume, the savings add up in a hell of a hurry.. In other words.. If someone pitches you on an SE, they're thinking of their bottom line.. not yours.. and that's the last person in the world you want to trust or do business with. It's the person that says "spend the little extra and get a much better unit" or.. "we'll throw the better unit in for the same price".. That's the person you want to trust and do business with.

Last edited:

StrangleHold

Staff member
Like said above the RE is a enterprise class drive. Built for a 24/7 continuous use. I think they still guarantee them for 1 million hours for mean time between failures. Plus they have time limited error recovery for raid.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
But the one thing still being missed is actually who not any "mom + pop shop" jibberish by someone there actually first recommended staying with WD a good number of years back. The term "expert" still lacks for a person who could easily make the last two posters here look like total morons! It's funny only "certain people" seem to have all these problems with WD drives.

The fact is for the most WD and Seagate always end up being the best two brands to look at even over Maxtor. Both companies make excellent drives to begin with despite the noise being made by a few. On one old WIN95 Packard Bell where a Seagate 1.2gb drive failed a WD Cavier SE 1.4gb model was the replacement there. That old system still runs with the same drive since the 90s. That's well over 5yrs.!

SirKenin

banned
Your best bet is to completely ignore PCeye. Theres a reason the SE model only has a 3 year warranty and the W/D RE has 5 and the Seagate has 5 years.

They just raised that too.. Up until summer of last year it was one year. I guess they had to do something to compete.

But yeah.. there's a very good reason why I ditched my "WD Authorized Reseller" status... Cuz... They are total garbage.

911aaron

If my HDD did die, I could probably retrieve all the data I lost again so I'm not too concerned because of that (although it would it would take alot of time and be very annoying to re-download everything again). The only thing I'm afraid of is that if I install OEM xp home to the HDD and the HDD dies, I can't use my OEM xp home to install onto a new HDD and I'd have to buy another OEM. Do I have my facts right or am I off?

As long as I can transfer my XP home OEM onto another hard drive, in case the previous hard drives dies, I'll be okay with it.

Last edited:

PC eye

banned
You are off there. In fact with the "unbranded" not branded OEM disks for XP you can see Windows installed on three personal or family systems in the same household. With Vista that remains at one on the new version according to the licensing there.

As far as replacing or upgrading a hard drive that's still on the exact same system. In fact MS allowed for that with the original product reactivation allowance for periodic upgrades of hardwares.

Status
Not open for further replies.