Which Hard Drive should I pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

911aaron

Lol its fine. It's somewhat amusing to see this flame war.
Well I decided to just get this HDD instead.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148262
I'm going to store my OS and all my games onto this hard drive. Then I'm going to get a external hard drive and store my videos and other stuff onto that. However I dont know much about external hard drives so may I ask, how does External hard drives exactly work? Do you just plug it into a USB port and you can start adding and reading data on it? Are external hard drives inferior to internal hard drives?

This external hard drive looks good to me.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822216035
What do you think?

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
lol. Says the guy who was posting tombstone hacks and roadsign sign hacks, both with personal Sir Kenin attacks

911aaron, stick around. The guy may be a total idiot, but it's arguably the best entertainment on this forum.

StrangleHold

Staff member
That drive will be fine. A external yes just plug it in, windows will recognize it, go to Disk Management and partition it and format.

Never used one of those externals, Kenin might know better on that.

Last edited:

SirKenin

banned
Sorry 911aaron you had to see the typical thread hijack with nothing but the limited mentality instead of anything useful information being posted by some people experiencing some deep personal problems apparently. :rolleyes:

pantsku9.jpg

911aaron

So external hard drives are exactly like internal hard drives, except they are external? No downsides??

911aaron

okay. :)

Sounds great, but one question
The external hard drive has a esata port which can transfer data at a faster rate compared to a USB. Where does the other end of the esata cord plug into my computer?

SirKenin

banned
You need an eSATA port. Most new boards come with them, sometimes it's a knock-out that plugs into the SATA port on your mobo and has a plate that you put in the back of your case.

911aaron

Oh okay. aww that means i have to take my side panel on my case off to use it huh? Lol oh well.

Could I transfer the external hard drive between two computers? Use it sorta like a USB flash drive?

Last edited:

911aaron

Oh so I plug the cord into my SATA port on my mobo then i plug the esata into that device?

I see. What is that device called though?

SirKenin

banned
It's called a "unit" :p AKA doohickey, thing-a-ma-jigger, that thing...you know... or more affectionately as a "fuktifino"

911aaron

I read a review on a external hard drive and it hinted that i can use it on multiple computers. I'll probably get it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.