• fujitsu

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • maxtor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • samsung

Votes: 3 8.6%

• Total voters

UpskirtHayley

cache is still faster, and seek times get longer when more data is on the drive. Plus the I/O is a bit slower than cache.

Soon, solid state will become cheap and fast enough we won't use mechanical hard drives anymore.

my classic hdd on my emachines with 7200rpm, 2mb cache seems alot slower than my 8mb cache hdd. very noticible when accessing my fraps folder with 100s of files. the 2mb cache hdd will get lagg and stutter while the 8mb is less lagg.

and it feel lagger and lagger when my hard drive is geting full.

so yeah if seek time you mean the rpm then i agree more cache is better than seek time.

Springy182

I wouldn't hesistate buying either a Seagate or a Western Digital hard drive. I think both companies make decent quality drives. I wouldn't buy an 11th generation Seagate drive though. I've heard that a higher quantity of the hard drives of the 11th generation produced by Seagate are defective.

Seconded, Barracuda 11 series drives with SD15 firmware can randomly lock up on bootup, so bad Seagate released a firmware update which bricked 500GB drives and then a second update after that, they even offered free data recovery for effected drives if I recall

Post firmware update my Barracuda 11 drives are both going strong though

Personally I think WD's the best followed by Samsung then Seagate then the rest