Which is better, the Droid X or the iPhone 4???

diggyda

I'm wondering which is the better phone: the Motorola Droid X or the iPhone 4 (or maybe the myTouch 4G since tMobile seems to brag about that in all their commercials).

Sorry if a similar thread has already been posted, I've recentely signed up.

emac227

personally my bias is away from apple, they release new products too soon after releasing the previous, example iPad and iPad 2.

speedyink

VIP Member
The mytouch 4g will be faster at browsing. Also if you like customizing your phone stay away from the iPhone. It's about as customizable as my left shoe.

speedyink

VIP Member
yeah, but can't you customize the iphone pretty well if you jailbreak it?

Sort of..but it's still very limited (and can be expensive..lots mods you have to pay for). It's like...I can set a background on my ipod touch, whereas on my htc phone I can organize my homescreen icons the way I want, I can use and organize widgets that pertain to my everyday life, I can flash custom roms (different operating system versions), I can flash files which modify how the phone behaves (from custom animations to notification areas to addons like power controls in notification areas), I can choose different home launchers if I want a different home screen feel, the list just keeps going. The most in depth things you can do with a jailbroken iphone is change what popups say, or change your icons. There's skins out there but they're not very technical..the most in depth ones are trying (and failing) to mimic android widgets anyways.

it's really no comparison in this respect, which is definitely important to me. It's fun having a phone that reflects you.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
I have a android product and I love it. My issue with the iphone is it is poorly tested before released to the public, a fine example is the glass back that apple claims is ten times stronger then plastic but yet I have seen so many of them that have huge cracks that run down the back. I have owned two different smart phones nows and I have drop them on a steel deck so many times (On my ship) and have never had a problem with the screen cracking let alone the metal or plastic backing.

Here should be your real question and it is one I don't know but I am sure someone does. Is the iphone OS ios upgrade with each release? I know with Android you will get the latest android release for your OS for at least two or three releases i.e being the latest coming out is ginger bread 2.3 which the droid x will receive the update.

Also apple just dropped the GPL from there app store which is going to hurt there app market cause there are thousands of open source apps out there that will no longer port to the apple app store.

Android is a mobile Linux OS there for it is just as reliable and secure as ios.

speedyink

VIP Member
Well the iphone 3G is no longer in the update cycle, the cutoff is the 3GS.

There are Android phones that came with one of the original versions of Android that people are using the newer versions on, thanks to the ability to flash roms, and the open source developers that work on them. My phone came with 2.1, but I've easily been able to upgrade to 2.3, and have ran 3.0 on it, even though it's not even designed for phones. I have no doubt that when a new version comes out for phones my phone will be able to run it.

bengal85

they are about the same I like both equally. My advice to you is dont believe all this 4g stuff there are very few cities in the US that actually have 4g service. thats why I try to stay away from those newer phones until I actually see 4g take off

speedyink

VIP Member
they are about the same I like both equally. My advice to you is dont believe all this 4g stuff there are very few cities in the US that actually have 4g service. thats why I try to stay away from those newer phones until I actually see 4g take off

it's more future proofing than anything..what if you bought a phone right now and in 1 year 4g totally took off and you 3g phone is now out dated. You have to wait another year before you can join the club.

I agree, 4g isn't everywhere and you shouldn't make a decision wholly based on it..but thats exactly it..if it has 4g, so what? It still works fine on 3g networks, so why avoid 4g phones?

bengal85

it's more future proofing than anything..what if you bought a phone right now and in 1 year 4g totally took off and you 3g phone is now out dated. You have to wait another year before you can join the club.

I agree, 4g isn't everywhere and you shouldn't make a decision wholly based on it..but thats exactly it..if it has 4g, so what? It still works fine on 3g networks, so why avoid 4g phones?

Good point I really didn't think about it from that point of view. I have actually now reconsidered how I feel about 4g phones

PohTayToez

I take it you don't already have a current cell phone contract? I would first choose the provider you want, as different cell phone service providers are going to have different qualities of service depending on where you live. As far as phones go, my recommendations would be:

Sprint - Evo 4G
Verizon - Thunderbolt
ATT - Inspire
T-Mobile - MyTouch 4G

All very similar Android devices. I personally have the Evo and absolutely love it.

bengal85

I take it you don't already have a current cell phone contract? I would first choose the provider you want, as different cell phone service providers are going to have different qualities of service depending on where you live. As far as phones go, my recommendations would be:

Sprint - Evo 4G
Verizon - Thunderbolt
ATT - Inspire
T-Mobile - MyTouch 4G

All very similar Android devices. I personally have the Evo and absolutely love it.

I do have to say I was playing with the thunderbolt the other day and all i can say is what a great phone it seems to be perfect. its nicely powered the screen looks good its nice and responsive to touch. most of all its a nice size for a phone

AE7

As a Droid X owner, I love it! My friends have the iPhone 4, so I get to make fun of them for being sheltered but it's whatever.

I just wish that Google or somebody would create an email app that's worth something. They have some junky email app on the Marketplace that everyone swears is great, but I tried it and it's flaky. The current email app doesn't work well with Exchange, which I hate, but I am forced to use it.

DMGrier

VIP Member
For ATT I have the Atrix, dual core nvidia Tegra cpu, dual camera's, built in 10 GB storage with a expandable 32 GB storage and amazing battery life.

DMGrier

VIP Member
iphone 4, hands down.i have had soo many phones and nothing comes close to the iphone 4.

Well you might want to look at the Atrix, I looked at the Iphone 4 and it did not even come close to the Atrix as far as Hardware and Android Os could easily run with ios in features and performance. Not to mention with the signal problem with the bottom corner and the glass back that easily cracks I would say that the iphone 4 was a poor design and I know both are problems cause have seen people complain about it to many times on the ship.

And yes my Atrix gets extremely impressive battery life, I believe right next the iphone it had one of the best battery life ratings in comparison to other smart phones.

speedyink

VIP Member
Well you might want to look at the Atrix, I looked at the Iphone 4 and it did not even come close to the Atrix as far as Hardware and Android Os could easily run with ios in features and performance. Not to mention with the signal problem with the bottom corner and the glass back that easily cracks I would say that the iphone 4 was a poor design and I know both are problems cause have seen people complain about it to many times on the ship.

And yes my Atrix gets extremely impressive battery life, I believe right next the iphone it had one of the best battery life ratings in comparison to other smart phones.

Awesome, I was worried about the battery life on that one what with the problems people are having with the galaxies and desires and such. That might be my tax return purchase now..sorry bigger TV :(

iPhone aint the best phone..not in my eyes anyways. It feels like I'm playing in steve jobs backyard, whereas my phone feels like I'm completely re-landscaping my yard starting with a bulldozer, then enjoying it

iPhones are great for people who don't give a crap though. No fuss, just let me call my kid.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member
Don't really know much about the Galaxies or Desires. Also the Atrix has the 720p camcorder and you can rent videos in 720pand with it comes a hdmi cable and yes there is a hdmi port on the phone for this hd cable, can iphone do that? Ummm no cause even apples computers don't even offer hdmi ports.