Which Mac Is Right For Me?

ajw06

I have been a happy user of microsofts os for many years now. I was looking for a computer around the 1000 pound marker. I have just considered buying a Mac. Either a MacBook Pro (15", 2.2GHz) or a IMac (17", 2GHz). I wil not be using the computer for gaming. It's primary use will be photo editing and E-mail. The computer should be fast and able to render photoshop effects quickly. Which would you reccomend. Any feedback on the two computers.

Also does anyone knopw why Macs are not called PC's. They are still a personal computer.

Jet

VIP Member
The main question to ask is if you want portability or not. One thing, is that the Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics card, whereas the iMac doesn't.

tlarkin

VIP Member
The main question to ask is if you want portability or not. One thing, is that the Macbook Pro has a dedicated graphics card, whereas the iMac doesn't.

All iMacs have dedicated video cards, they are just integrated into the main logic board. They all have ATi or Nvidia video cards except for the lowest end model which has the integrated intel video chip.

Jet

VIP Member
Ah, I guess I was thinking about the lowest one. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I guess the graphics cards on the iMacs are worse than the Macbook Pro, but they are cheaper in price as well.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Ah, I guess I was thinking about the lowest one. Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: I guess the graphics cards on the iMacs are worse than the Macbook Pro, but they are cheaper in price as well.

well for 1100 dollars you get everything from monitor, the full software package, web cam, built in wifi, etc etc. Overall not a bad deal for everything in one machine.

However, those are old models and the new iMacs will be coming out very soon, in fact it is highly rumored that Apple will announce them in August. I would wait until then, and even then you may want to wait till october so you can just get it with Leopard.

ajw06

Do we know any rough date in august that the new imacs are coming out. art they planning to bring out new macbook pro

alexandergre

I dont know yet! But I will make inform you as soon as I know.(I read some good apple news sites)
BTW this is the new Apples keyboard. Attention*** IT MIGHT BE FAKE.
imac-new-keyboard-big.jpg

imac_brushed_aluminum_keyboard_full.jpg

more pics: http://www.engadget.com/photos/is-this-the-new-imac-keyboard/

tlarkin

VIP Member
thatst he new cinema displays I think not the imac, but no one knows for sure, remember think secret

ajw06

Thanks guys for your input. If either of your or other computerforum users have either a MacBook Pro or IMac let me know what you think of it. especialy if you use photoshop with your mac, how fast does it render a typical photoshop effect.