Which Mac Is Right For Me?

alexandergre

Photoshop effects do not require a super computer. Even a PC with 512MB ram (mine)would be good. Just to let you know, all Macbook pro´s come with 2GB ram. So that is very good for photoshop and illustrator.

If you are really interested in photoshop and photography I recommend the iMac one. because of its screen size. 24" is huge. and also how much is your budget?
Macbook pro costs much much more than iMacs.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Thanks guys for your input. If either of your or other computerforum users have either a MacBook Pro or IMac let me know what you think of it. especialy if you use photoshop with your mac, how fast does it render a typical photoshop effect.

I love my macbook pro and i just installed CS3 on it and have no issues. Best laptop I have ever owned.

ajw06

I do not wish to spend more than £1,300. if i bought a mac book i wouldn't want any bigger than 20". i am slightly more convinced by the MacBook Pro as it is more portable. But i still really like the iMac and there is nothing to really stop me from geeting that.

ajw06

I can understand why MacBooks are more expensive. They have more RAM. better connectivity. Batterys cost money aswell.

tlarkin

VIP Member
I don't like all in one machines personally, but its preference. I do recommend a macbook pro though.

ajw06

When i look at the iMac i think wow i got to have that. then i look at the MacBook Pro and i think mmm.......... tricky. I am 14 and am about to start my GCSES so i am tight on money else i would buy both.

Does anyone know why Apple computers are not called PC's they are still personal computers.

ajw06

not to do with macs but instead of starting a new thread i want to ask this quickly. is a C2Q 8 cores.?

lhoney2

Does anyone know why Apple computers are not called PC's they are still personal computers.

Because the original IBM computer was known as the IBM PC. I'm talking about before there were clones and whatnot.

This is an excerpt from Wikipedia's page.

The IBM Personal Computer, commonly known as the IBM PC, was the original version and progenitor of the IBM PC compatible hardware platform. It was IBM model number 5150, and was introduced on August 12, 1981. It was created by a team of engineers and designers under the direction of Don Estridge of the IBM Entry Systems Division in Boca Raton, Florida.

The term "personal computer" was common currency before 1981, and was used as early as 1972 to characterize Xerox PARC's Alto. However, because of the success of the IBM PC, what had been a generic term came to mean specifically a microcomputer compatible with IBM's specification.

So, even though the term PC is a generic term, IBM kind of stole it. Evidently Apple didn't want to be in the same genre as the IBM PC, which it clearly wasn't at the time.

Good enough?

ajw06

I Believe that the MacBook Pro comes with 2GB and has a Max. Ram capacity of 3GB If i wanted to upgrade it would that be easy enough.

After August the 7th when mac bring out there new iMac will i still be able to buy the current iMac from them.

ajw06

i thought the other day that i was sure that i wanted the MacBook. now i am not sure again. Got anything to say that might make me go for either one

Irishwhistle

Have you ever considered one of these? It's an extreme version of the Mac Mini. You can get it for around 1000 pounds. As far as iMac and MacBook Pro goes the MacBook Pro is definitely better. Besides, portability is really nice. If money was no object I would definitely buy a MacBook Pro (even over a Mac Pro). Yes, I know Mac pros have Quad Core Intel Xeon, but it's just not worth it. You could easily take a Mac mini or a MacBook Pro with you where ever you go. iMacs and Mac Pros are very difficult to transport. I've used Photoshop on Windows with only 512MB of RAM and it runs very well.

MacBook Pros not only are portable, but they actually run better than an iMac. That upgraded Mac mini that I linked to probably does too. So, my opinion is: get either a MacBook Pro or an upgraded Mac Mini.

~Jordan

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
that mac mini is a rip, you can buy a mac mini for 700 and give it the ram and processor upgrade for under 1000 more.

Irishwhistle

that mac mini is a rip, you can buy a mac mini for 700 and give it the ram and processor upgrade for under 1000 more.

Hmmm.... My uncle told me that you can't very well upgrade a Mac mini without having Apple do it and Apple doesn't upgrade to C2D. There is also a video card upgrade.

EDIT: I took into account what tlarkin said and found that you can get a pretty good Mac mini build right from Apple. Here it is: http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/6514002/wo/U62uua946uSL24IlZIE1ioGzvHC/3.?p=0

It costs $1,826 (I think that's somewhere 1000 pounds). It's probably a better idea to buy strait from Apple.

~Jordan

Last edited: