• Windows

Votes: 53 82.8%
  • Linux-based

Votes: 19 29.7%
  • Mac OS

Votes: 6 9.4%

• Total voters

AngJinhang

If I had a high spec laptop, I would only install ubuntu. It is free, and I can use wine and qume to emulate windows...but lags appeared, sadly.

wolfeking

banned
I think he was saying wine lagged, which it does even with my 2600k and HD4870. I think it will be fixed in an update, as it did not used to lag.

wolfeking

banned
The only thing I ever use it for is my calander applet that is meant to run on windows 2k, and it works okay for that. Games just don't work, which is fine.

NyxCharon

The only thing I ever use it for is my calander applet that is meant to run on windows 2k, and it works okay for that. Games just don't work, which is fine.

This is completely dependent on the person, and is not true. Plenty of games work. I've had skyrim and bad company 2 working. It is not easy, and it can take some time to get working, it all depends on the amount of time a person is willing to spend to get it to work. Yes i know, they should just work; but if that was the case a lot of people would have migrated already. Some games do just work though, CS:GO works with no tweaks at all; Install steam, install CS:GO, and you're up and running.

wolfeking

banned
let me clarify, I have had too many issues with AND drivers, and sound not working to consider the game working.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
My friend is planning to use his computer to play games. Big, great, 3D, and you know it.

Then he should definetely use Windows computer operating system.

To me honestly Windows is the best for everything,but Linux is also very good,but I prefer Windows.I mostly use Linux when cloning hard disk drives,repairing Windows problems which cannot be solved in Windows or DOS or NTFS4DOS operating systems,deleting data which cannot be deleted inside Windows operating system for many reasons and so on...

Anyway why use multiple operating systems if it's possible to do everything with one lol.Of course in some cases Linux such as Ubuntu (my favorite) can really do some things which Windows cannot.

Cheers!

DistortedPIka

My lappy is running Windows 7, however I run Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Ubuntu in Virtual machines regularily, I can't choose between the three, they're all brilliant!!

Punk

Staff member
I have Win7 on my everyday computer, WinXP on my old computer and am currently installing Win8 on GF's laptop (upgrading from VIsta). I have used Linux at school and Apples at friend's, didn't really like it :)

wolfeking

banned
I have used Linux at school and Apples at friend's, didn't really like it :)
which one, apple or linux?
It is fine to not like something though. I love linux. I don't like windows. Windows is far too difficult to use to be any kind of productive.

Punk

Staff member
which one, apple or linux?
It is fine to not like something though. I love linux. I don't like windows. Windows is far too difficult to use to be any kind of productive.

I've tried both.

Linux I downloaded it once, didn't like it but it was fine for school use as it was easy to program.

Apple I find useless, and don't like it.

wolfeking

banned
It (linux) is great for battery life, and speeding up low power or older systems. starts in no time flat too. 2 to 3 seconds on a SSD in SATA II mode (ICH8m does not support SATA3).
I mainly like it because it is fully customizable. And it is not locked down like the 2 apples (OSX and Windows), which means that if there is a problem in the OS itself, you can fix it yourself. If you don't like how it does something, then you change it. If you don't like the Shell, you can change it. Basically, you are never stuck.
Windows however, you get whats in the box. Don't like how it looks, your out $30 for a program to fix it. Don't like metro, there is another $5 to fix that. Find a problem in the OS, you have to call M$, complain for a while, and maybe they fix it, maybe they don't.

OSX, it is useless. I agree there. No freedom at all. At least windows lets you choose your hardware for the most part.