• Linux

Votes: 9 15.5%
  • Vista

Votes: 27 46.6%
  • XP

Votes: 22 37.9%

• Total voters

jimkonow

it depends on how powerful the machine youre running is...though i prefer XP, for certain reasons i cannot discuss here :)

tlarkin

VIP Member
vista ultimate...... having the power to do everything.....and having a os to last longer in the future then xp...

Another contrived opinion about Vista. The only differences between Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate will not affect the home user at all. Ultimate offers encrypted file system support (I hope no home user ever uses this). Built in faxing software - easily fixed by buying third party, the ability to connect to domain level networks - again more feature limiting on MS's part but no home user needs to connect to a domain controller, and I think remote desktop. Oh darn, go download VNC its free, there is your remote desktop.

mep916

Administrator
Staff member
Another contrived opinion about Vista. The only differences between Vista Home Premium and Vista Ultimate will not affect the home user at all. Ultimate offers encrypted file system support (I hope no home user ever uses this). Built in faxing software - easily fixed by buying third party, the ability to connect to domain level networks - again more feature limiting on MS's part but no home user needs to connect to a domain controller, and I think remote desktop. Oh darn, go download VNC its free, there is your remote desktop.

You forgot about Texas Hold 'em and Dreamscene. :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
You forgot about Texas Hold 'em and Dreamscene. :p

I've got Dreamscene on Home Premium ;)

All this stuff you here about Vista being full of bugs and hard to run... it just isn't... At all!

I've also found it to be well faster than XP too... but just my opinion!

tlarkin

VIP Member
I've got Dreamscene on Home Premium ;)

All this stuff you here about Vista being full of bugs and hard to run... it just isn't... At all!

Let me see where I had issues with vista...

Wacom tablets, 1.5 years old, not compatible with vista

Novell client (could be better now) although it worked, not with out its caveats.

Several printers don't work w/ 64bit that we had at my work

several needed applications won't work unless you upgrade, cost of upgrading was thousands and thousands in licenses. Not worth upgrading at this point.

networking - tons of issues

and of course the giant increase of hardware resources used.

Vista does not out perform XP though, and even if you dig through benchmarks you will find them neck and neck or XP beating vista. It just gives you the illusion by preloading applications into memory. Loading time may be a bit faster but actual performance while using an application is identical. Which is why its not worth the several hundred dollars to upgrade IMO.

Gareth

Most users who have upgraded to Vista have noticed this, including me on my Athlon XP 3000+ college machine!

Athlon XP 3000+
1GB RAM
80GB HDD
Radeon 9250
Windows Experience Index = 1.0

Vista does not out perform XP though, and even if you dig through benchmarks you will find them neck and neck or XP beating vista. It just gives you the illusion by preloading applications into memory. Loading time may be a bit faster but actual performance while using an application is identical. Which is why its not worth the several hundred dollars to upgrade IMO.

Its actually $69 to upgrade to Vista Basic on Newegg. On a test on my AthlonXP rig I did a month ago on another forum, Vista beat XP on almost every test, one by a very long way.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Its actually $69 to upgrade to Vista Basic on Newegg. On a test on my AthlonXP rig I did a month ago on another forum, Vista beat XP on almost every test, one by a very long way.

Not worth it to upgrade and lose features from XP, also provide links where Vista beats it out because from what I have read it hasn't and I will go google those links now.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Vista home premium 64bit for me :)

Best OS yet IMO, alot faster boot times than XP i think its just faster in general. Alot of people complain about the superfetch, but i think its a good thing. If you have the ram to support it, its alot faster.

No compatibility issues for me.

JLV2k5

It would be silly not to go Vista. All programs in the future are going to utilize 64bit and vista is prepared for this. PLUS, DX10 is available through Visterrrrr

Kornowski

VIP Member
Oh, I thought that was limited to Ultimate. :eek:

I'm havin' problems installing Ultimate x64. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with Vista. :)

Oh, Don't worry, Mike, You're right, it is for Ultimate "only" ;)

What problems are you having?

tlarkin

VIP Member
It would be silly not to go Vista. All programs in the future are going to utilize 64bit and vista is prepared for this. PLUS, DX10 is available through Visterrrrr

Yes I totally agree with you, the problem is, 64bit will not be the standard platform anytime soon. Consumers only drive a small part of technology business, where enterprise solutions (companies that buy 10s of thousands of computers) aren't just going to up and upgrade because they think its going to be the best. The market doesn't work like that. 64 bit has been around a lot longer than you think, Unix and Linux have been doing it for years, and OS X had pseudo 64bit support in their last OS, which came out almost 2 years ago.

XP has had 64 bit support for a couple years as well, if you downloaded and ran the 64bit service pack. Notice how the market has not shifted anywhere near 64bit platform yet. Only some have shifted and even then they are including libraries for both 32 and 64.

Now, given that and the fact that Vista offers no real performance increase over XP, and DX10 gives slower frame rates, and Vista offers no real benefit or feature that end users really want, I don't see it worth the upgrade at this point in time. On top of that, Vienna, which is slated to come out in 09 or 10 will have all those features that Vista had to drop, like EFI support, ZFS and sshfs, etc. and will most likely actually be more stable and offer more of a performance increase over Vista, why not just wait till then. We all know MS has a history of writing crappy OSes and bloated applications. need I bring up windows ME, or Win95 rev A, or Win 98 first release? The 9x kernel was ultra crappy and they no longer use it, they use the NT kernel now which is a lot better, and have finally made the NT kernel into a decent OS. Windows NT workstation sucked majorly, which is why it never was seen in consumer markets until XP. You can argue that windows 2000 was the first, but in all honesty windows 98 and windows ME were on consumer machines at that given time. So, it really wasn't.

So, if you wait two years you can get MS's newest OS, with all the features they had to cut from Vista, and they will be using the same kernel as before which will be far more improved. Hopefully they won't feature limit this next OS release.

If you don't have an OS at all, then I can see Vista being a more viable buy. If you have XP, in my mind don't waste your money upgrading. Wait for Vienna and all the cool technologies that will come with it. EFI will completely change how hardware works with both the user and the OS.

jvillarreal1000

So i have a Dell laptop that's about 2 years old with XP on it. Should I wait for Microsoft to come out with an improved OS or should I make the transition to Vista. I'm either going to do that or just reinstall XP since I haven't had major problems with it. Thanks!!

tlarkin

VIP Member
So i have a Dell laptop that's about 2 years old with XP on it. Should I wait for Microsoft to come out with an improved OS or should I make the transition to Vista. I'm either going to do that or just reinstall XP since I haven't had major problems with it. Thanks!!

Well, you need to figure it out for yourself, and well to be honest, some of those features I mentioned are hardware dependent, so if you don't get a motherboard that supports EFI, then you don't get the benefit of it. In my experience vista is not faster by any means so i would say no. Some people say it is faster or that my hardware must be crap and I must be a noob since vista doesn't run well for me. However, that is not the case. I am not your typical user though. So, what I say and think may not reflect what the average computer user thinks.

Its like my old man used to always say, "If it ain't broke don't fix it." If XP works great why upgrade? You will get zero performance increase from Vista, just click on the links I already provided in this thread. Especially the Tom's hardware one.