which sound card?

Kesava

im thinking i want a sound card, mostly for the sake of buying something new :)
i have a gigabyte P31-DS3L and am using the onboard sound on that which is alright.

what are some of the cheapest sound cards that would beat that onboard?
would any creative sound card beat it?
i mean as in would the really cheap ones?

thanks

MosIncredible

On board on the P35-DS3L was horrible compared to my audiophile 2496. I used it during the install of Windows and basic programs, played a song in Winamp, was disgusted, installed my audiophile literally 1 minute later and never looked back to on board sound again. You want 7.1 or no?

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
I used to use the P35-DS3L onboard sound..it was absolutely horrible. Even my cheapo 5.1 sound card beat it. I bought the X-fi Xtrememusic and was absolutely blown away by the difference. If you want a x-fi card, make sure to at least get the Xtremgamer, NOT the Xtreme Audio, as it's just Sound blaster live! with some software emulators.

Vizy

I've got the x-fi xtreme audio, then i took it out because my hsf on the gfx card took up 2 slots. But, it was an alright card. It cost me 45$ usd on black friday. Yea, its not a true chip/ its a software emulater. I wouldn't buy it again. i heard the soundblaster live's aren't that bad.

Kesava

ok well keep in mind i really dont have much to spend. maybe 50 US at the most. so yeah. what would you recommend? with a newegg link or somehting. thanks :)

cohen

Sound Card: Creative Audigy
Speakers: Logitech X 540's

I love my sound and it has been very good for me

Vizy

Yes it probably would be - i would get a 5.1 sound card being that the future will be 5.1!

We can't all be as lucky as you :D I would've gotten the x540 but i didn't have the space or the means to make it a nice set up. But you got me thinking.....maybe it's possible....

Kesava

yeah. cos basically i dont want to get a sound card if the difference isnt going to be that noticable. and seeing as i can only afford a low range sound card. 50 dollars or less, then it might not be worth it

cohen

yeah. cos basically i dont want to get a sound card if the difference isnt going to be that noticable. and seeing as i can only afford a low range sound card. 50 dollars or less, then it might not be worth it

hhhmmm...from me with your speakers... probably no you wouldn't really. If you had 5.1 Speakers you would notice it!

So no it is really not worth it.

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Just stick with onboard. The Soundlbaster audigy isn't going to make a noticeable difference. At least get a X-fi Xtremegamer if you're going to upgrade a soundcard.

cohen

We can't all be as lucky as you :D I would've gotten the x540 but i didn't have the space or the means to make it a nice set up. But you got me thinking.....maybe it's possible....

lol

what about a creative soundblaster audigy? they any good?

Not really - it all depends on what speakers you have.....

Just stick with onboard. The Soundlbaster audigy isn't going to make a noticeable difference. At least get a X-fi Xtremegamer if you're going to upgrade a soundcard.

Yes i agree

Kesava

this is half just to buy something new haha. and im using my dads speakers now. which are 4.1. and beat your x 540's in sound quality. i know from experiance and from the specs. so im thinking it might be worth it. anything better then my onboard is good. so forget the fact that i might be wasting my money. i just need something that will do a decent job. so i know a sound blaster audigy isnt an amazing card. but would it be decently better then onboard?

Last edited: