Who else has had Windows 10 forced upon them?

Punk

Staff member
Windows 10 UI is far from modern, at least for desktops.

That windows 10 was not designed for desktop only? Fact that Microsoft wants Win 10 to cover "everything" makes this ovbious http://az648995.vo.msecnd.net/win/2014/09/Windows_Product_Family_9-30-Event.png

Windows 10 has many menus that are designed for tablets even when using desktop mode. At least it requires special attention to avoid them. Win 10 is more desktop than Win 8.1 but much less than Win 7. Microsoft could have retain Windows 7 UI for desktop users and add tablet mode for tablets.

If Windows 10 is fully designed for desktop, then why start menu gives many tablet options even on desktop mode? Start menu in general is designed for tablets. Options starting from bottom: All apps is designed for tablets. Also Power options. Settings open Settings panel (Control panel is desktop option). File Explorer, while desktop, is much worse than on Windows 7. Above all are six applications, all tablet versions. On right side I see only tablet versions or universal apps.

Given these facts I disagree with that "Windows 10 is designed for desktops" claim. As Microsoft is also trying to get rid of control panel (and replace it with Settings that is tablet version of Control panel), Windows 10 will become even less desktop.

Desktop boot after selecting settings yes. But those settings needs to be selected first.

Using keyboard only is much faster than using keyboard+mouse. In fact Windows 7 start menu was designed for keyboard use only. So first Microsoft designs start menu UI (Windows Vista +7) that is best used with keyboard only, then on Windows 10 users should use keyboard and mouse. Perhaps something else than MY personal problem.

Dude you're just stuck on words. All apps is the same as Programs. Get over it.
Many Oses use apps even in Linux so seriously get over it.

I still don't see any menu that requires me to make a move that should be done on tablet.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
In fact Windows 7 start menu was designed for keyboard use only.

Who wants to navigate the start menu by keyboard and arrow keys? Not me!!! So much slower.
Desktop boot after selecting settings yes. But those settings needs to be selected first.

Installing 8.1 was set to automatically boot to desktop mode, no settings had to be changed.
Using keyboard only is much faster than using keyboard+mouse. In fact Windows 7 start menu was designed for keyboard use only. So first Microsoft designs start menu UI (Windows Vista +7) that is best used with keyboard only, then on Windows 10 users should use keyboard and mouse. Perhaps something else than MY personal problem.

This doesn't make any sense at all.
Windows 10 UI is far from modern

Do you even understand what modern means? Even though I don't use them, the live tiles in the windows 10 start menu are the way of the future. If you think about it, apps are better then programs in certain ways. Hence the reason why windows 10 will be the last OS they will have, all they will do now is create updates for it to make it better. With all apps coming from the windows store, then its something they can control to improve.
That windows 10 was not designed for desktop only? Fact that Microsoft wants Win 10 to cover "everything" makes this ovbious

Why not make it so it covers everything? Why spend the money on building 2 different types of OS's when you can build one and offer settings or programs to change it the way you like? Personally, I don't like the start menu but do I bitch about it? No I don't, I install the program classic shell which makes it look more like windows 7 start menu.
If you see no difference, try to switch to another user account using only keyboard.

Who in the hell only uses a keyboard to navigate windows???

Seriously, what are you smoking dude? Your facts just aren't there.

H4rdR3s37

Dude you're just stuck on words. All apps is the same as Programs. Get over it.
Many Oses use apps even in Linux so seriously get over it.

I still don't see any menu that requires me to make a move that should be done on tablet.

All apps is not same as Programs. On Programs it's possible to scroll with pressing first letter on keyboard. Does not work on All apps.

Start menu requires tablet like moves. Pick File Explorer and press keyboard right arrow. Now that arrow icon right of File explorer is selected. Press right arrow again. Nothing happens. Cannot open menu without pressing enter. So that requires tablet like move. This is probably because most (all?) tablets are missing arrow keys.

On Windows 7 Start menu every option can be highlighted with arrow keys only.

Who wants to navigate the start menu by keyboard and arrow keys? Not me!!! So much slower.

Ever forced to use computer without mouse? I have. Also some start menu selections are much faster with keyboard only if both hands are already over keyboard.

Installing 8.1 was set to automatically boot to desktop mode, no settings had to be changed.

I waaas talking about Windows 10 there. Cannot remember 8.1.

This doesn't make any sense at all.

Exactly. First Microsoft modifies Start menu to much more keyboard friendly and after that changes Start menu is more mouse + keyboard. That really makes no sense.

Do you even understand what modern means? Even though I don't use them, the live tiles in the windows 10 start menu are the way of the future. If you think about it, apps are better then programs in certain ways. Hence the reason why windows 10 will be the last OS they will have, all they will do now is create updates for it to make it better. With all apps coming from the windows store, then its something they can control to improve.

For desktop users I see no reason why that "modern" is modern in any way. Microsoft have said many thiongs that has proven to be false so better to wait for that "last version" for some time. I see no reason why these so called universal apps are better than programs, because right now programs are much better.

Why not make it so it covers everything? Why spend the money on building 2 different types of OS's when you can build one and offer settings or programs to change it the way you like? Personally, I don't like the start menu but do I bitch about it? No I don't, I install the program classic shell which makes it look more like windows 7 start menu.

Why develop new desktop UI that is much worse than previous? Most Windows settings are internally same as on Windows 7 so just adding some Windows 10 options to Windows 7 UI would give Windows 10 functionality with Windows 7 UI. But no, better to develop new desktop UI that is worse than predecessor. Have to try that Classic shell for Windows.

Who in the hell only uses a keyboard to navigate windows???

Seriously, what are you smoking dude? Your facts just aren't there.

Windows 7 start menu alternative power options are very hard to select with mouse. That icon is very small and hard to navigate with mouse. So that people learn to use keyboard.

For that change user thing. Doing that on Windows 7 with keyboard only is faster than using mouse+keyboard on both Windows 7 and Windows 10. Doing something faster is good enough reason for me to use only keyboard.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
Windows 7 start menu alternative power options are very hard to select with mouse.

What are you talking about here?
Ever forced to use computer without mouse?

Yeah and its a pain in the ass.
I waaas talking about Windows 10 there

Windows 10 also boots to desktop mode after install on all desktops. Trust me, I've installed it many times already.
Exactly. First Microsoft modifies Start menu to much more keyboard friendly and after that changes Start menu is more mouse + keyboard. That really makes no sense.

I wasn't agreeing with you on that. I was saying what you typed didn't make a bit of sense.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Agreed but that settings menu must be handled first.
.....NO IT DOESN'T! HAVE YOU EVEN FREAKING USED THE OS?

Freaking hell you're nuts. Nothing you're saying makes sense, and the issues you're having are because of your idiocy.

Ever hear of Classic Shell? I feel you need that in your life.

Punk

Staff member
Pick File Explorer and press keyboard right arrow. Now that arrow icon right of File explorer is selected. Press right arrow again. Nothing happens. Cannot open menu without pressing enter. So that requires tablet like move. This is probably because most (all?) tablets are missing arrow keys.

On Windows 7 Start menu every option can be highlighted with arrow keys only.

I think that's where I drew the line between actually having an argument and just complaining for the sake of complaining. On tablet you press on your screen, so no you don't use arrows. On desktop you have a mouse, so why not use it? Oh and OH MY GOD, you can't enter a program without pressing "enter". Goddammit 10, you're a bad OS.

H4rdR3s37

What icon? Post an image please.

http://support.hp.com/doc-images/517/c03311258.jpg

.....NO IT DOESN'T! HAVE YOU EVEN FREAKING USED THE OS?

Freaking hell you're nuts. Nothing you're saying makes sense, and the issues you're having are because of your idiocy.

Ever hear of Classic Shell? I feel you need that in your life.

I have installed Windows 10 at least 30 times, perhaps even more. Have seen other people install it at least 10 times. Every time install required going through tablet like settings. Might have changed for latest builds though.

I used Classic Shell for Windows 8. Perhaps that might be just what Windows 10 needs.

I think that's where I drew the line between actually having an argument and just complaining for the sake of complaining. On tablet you press on your screen, so no you don't use arrows. On desktop you have a mouse, so why not use it? Oh and OH MY GOD, you can't enter a program without pressing "enter". Goddammit 10, you're a bad OS.

Exactly so Windows 10 start menu is designed for tablet. I also use mouse if needed but when keyboard is faster, I use keyboard.

Not starting program, but opening more menus.

Punk

Staff member
Exactly so Windows 10 start menu is designed for tablet. I also use mouse if needed but when keyboard is faster, I use keyboard.

Not starting program, but opening more menus.

That's what you think, it could have been designed for a mouse+keyboard use and it would have been the same.

Punk

Staff member
OK, What am I supposed to not see here because its too small? Looks normal to me!!!
I think he's referring to the arrow icon that let's you hibernate or sleep?

EDIT: And in his mind that means that Microsoft wanted people to use keyboard only... Worst than conspiracy theories... Seriously, I had no trouble clicking on it.

H4rdR3s37

I think he's referring to the arrow icon that let's you hibernate or sleep?

EDIT: And in his mind that means that Microsoft wanted people to use keyboard only... Worst than conspiracy theories... Seriously, I had no trouble clicking on it.

Exactly that arrow that opens sleep/hibernate/restart etc.

I personally know many people who have problems clicking that. Some use laptop with touchpad. No hard to guess what I adviced those people to do. Not everyone is professional with computers.

Microsoft wanted to use keyboard only with start menu. Any explanation why so important menu is hidden behind very small arrow (and made easily accessible with keyboard) if that theory is incorrect? Also that menu has about one second delay when using mouse. With keyboard there is no delay.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
pebkac_mousepad-r8da5646e9ca94235957e9c05f552531a_x7ef8_1024.jpg

Punk

Staff member
Exactly that arrow that opens sleep/hibernate/restart etc.

I personally know many people who have problems clicking that. Some use laptop with touchpad. No hard to guess what I adviced those people to do. Not everyone is professional with computers.

Microsoft wanted to use keyboard only with start menu. Any explanation why so important menu is hidden behind very small arrow (and made easily accessible with keyboard) if that theory is incorrect? Also that menu has about one second delay when using mouse. With keyboard there is no delay.

Dude that arrow is easily accessible with mouse (unless you and your friends have Parkinson's disease...).

voyagerfan99

Staff member
You don't even need to click on the arrow. You can just hover over it.

But also this has nothing to do with Windows 10. That area hasn't existed since Windows 7, unless you run Classic Shell.