Who makes the best laptop? Why?

EJG

Someone told me ASUS makes the best (that's what he has). Is it? Who do YOU think makes the best one?

I am thinking of getting a new laptop (current one is 3yo HP). I don't use it for games, I mainly use it for internet, photo download/storage, word processing and stuff like that. Would prefer 3 USB ports, and definitely need DVD drive. Am open to any suggestion.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Asus is definitely a very good brand. They're warranty and support are very good, and you get a good bang for your buck.

Dell is also good, though I prefer Latitudes over Inspirons.

I don't care for Acer simply because they are cheap, underpowered, entry level laptops.

Laquer Head

ASUS are definitely awesome!

Rock solid chassis, excellent range of models, excellent looks great customer support, 2-year warranty (at least in Canada it's 2), competitive prices!

I honestly wouldn't buy another brand, that's also not saying that other brands aren't good--but when you find something you like, you tend to stick with it.

I've had 1 Dell, 1 Toshiba, 1 HP, 1 Acer, and I'm on my 3rd ASUS currently!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Asus FTW.....i have one and its great,sharp,bright screen quality...runs very cool,solid laptops overall.

bomberboysk

Asus is great, 2 year warranty, 1 year of accidental damage protection included is amazingly great.

Sager however makes one heck of a notebook, very tough units and some of the best as far as gaming notebooks. For standard use however, asus is great.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
From ones I've come in contact with/ones that are more readily available, I would have to say Toshiba. Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Asus fan, but it's very hard to beat Toshiba's for their price and quality.

ANNR

Asus is a good manufacture. I just received my UL30A two days ago and I am loving it. This is my second laptop from Asus and will not buy any other brand.

Toshiba is also a good brand. Both Toshiba and Asus have good build quality from what I can tell with the laptops that I own.

Sony also make good laptops in the sense that their design is sleek and appealing to the eye, but they are way over priced. However Asus is also catching up with the design and I will never look back on Sony ever again. Just check out their Asus's new line up of low Voltage CPU laptops. You can find them in Newegg, and amazon. They are perfect for school.

Glliw

Man this thread makes me feel crappy with my Hp dv6700 laptop haha.

My only experience with ASUS is their G50, which my roommate has. More trouble than its worth I'd say. He got it about 6 months ago for about $1,000ish. It intermittently has network problems, scrolling problems, etc. The flashy lights are a real nuisance as well.

ANNR

Man this thread makes me feel crappy with my Hp dv6700 laptop haha.

My only experience with ASUS is their G50, which my roommate has. More trouble than its worth I'd say. He got it about 6 months ago for about $1,000ish. It intermittently has network problems, scrolling problems, etc. The flashy lights are a real nuisance as well.

sounds like he has got some driver problems. As for the lights, Chose the model that has no flashy lights. ^^

Feuerfrei.x

I think HP.

Only cuz my m8s dad is one of the big bosses for it.

Oh well

I dont like laptops much - people need proper computers

ANNR

don't get me wrong, Hp make good laptops too. As matter affect I own a Dv3 for half year before I give it to my cousin. Good machine, but I wish Hp would do away with their super duper glassy mouse pad.

ganzey

banned
hp, this is from personal experience. my sis had a compaq and about a year later hp bought out compaq and her laptop started crappin out on her and she sent it in numerous times, and thanks to hp support, she had the mobo replaced 3 times, hdd 2 times, ram once, and they even left in a battery in it once so now she has two batterys. i have had my hp since 2003, and it has NEVER broken down or had anything wrong with it, theyre customer support is amazing.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
I've had horrible experiences with HP machines, along with my grandparent's poorly performing Compaq (now with motherboard issues). Build quality seems pretty decent with HPs, but actual system quality seems poor.

PabloTeK

Sager however makes one heck of a notebook, very tough units and some of the best as far as gaming notebooks.

You mean Compal ;)

Asus are very good machines for consumers although Dell and Lenovo are hard to beat for corporate class kit. I'd say Apple's Mac some of the best out there. They might not be spec-wise as powerful as an equivalent-priced machine but the hardware feels solidly built (unlike the two HP's I had, ugh) and the inclusion of an integrated and dedicated card setup means I can play games and still have a 5 hour battery life under normal use. :D

EDIT: T_O_O; did you have that squealing issue with your silver/black HP? I had it with the HDD squealing in some OS's...

Glliw

hp, this is from personal experience. my sis had a compaq and about a year later hp bought out compaq and her laptop started crappin out on her and she sent it in numerous times, and thanks to hp support, she had the mobo replaced 3 times, hdd 2 times, ram once, and they even left in a battery in it once so now she has two batterys. i have had my hp since 2003, and it has NEVER broken down or had anything wrong with it, theyre customer support is amazing.

Yeah, in reality, Hp is pretty BA. I've had mine since May, spilled water on it once, warranty fully covered the repair. Service was slow though...took about 2 weeks to diagnose and replace the switchboard and get it back to me. battery life has been nothing but good to me as well. There's times when I'm in the library studying and can't get a spot near an outlet and the battery will squeak out 4 hours of life with just Firefox with a few tabs open running. Compared to a netbook, thats not long, but I think for an "entertainment laptop", I can't complain.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
did you have that squealing issue with your silver/black HP? I had it with the HDD squealing in some OS's...

Yes, but it was not the hard drive. I confirmed this by removing it and the squealing persisted. Even exchanged the laptops and continued to have the problem. It also seemed rather sluggish when compared to my Fujitsu or Dell, and the Fujitsu had a slightly slower processor (well, 5300 in the HP, 5250 in the Fujitsu) Nice thing about that HP though is how cool it ran. I swear that fan never kicked in!

PabloTeK

Yes, but it was not the hard drive. I confirmed this by removing it and the squealing persisted. Even exchanged the laptops and continued to have the problem. It also seemed rather sluggish when compared to my Fujitsu or Dell, and the Fujitsu had a slightly slower processor (well, 5300 in the HP, 5250 in the Fujitsu) Nice thing about that HP though is how cool it ran. I swear that fan never kicked in!

Mine was slow all the time, 5 minutes to boot Vista! The squealing was bad though. Glad I got rid of it!

driverdj2000

what about SONY VAIO.have one myself and its been as reliable as the universe for the 3 years i have it.
they're terrific laptops,styling is second to none,but they are overpriced as are most of sonys products.