Who's still on XP?

lucasbytegenius

So who here has an uber awesome rig of epicness and still insists on running the crappy OS from 11 years ago?

Curious because I'd imagine a lot of technology-literate people to have upgraded to Windows 7 a long time ago, like I did. Can't live without the Start menu search :D
If that doesn't appeal to you I heard Windows XP 64-bit sucks compared to Windows 7 64-bit.

spirit

Staff member
Windows XP 64-bit and XP x64 Edition have literally no support for anything. Not to mention they're based on Windows Server 2003 too so you can only update them to SP2 (SP3 is not available for XP x64 because Windows 2003 only goes up to SP2) so most newer software which requires at least XP SP3 to run won't work on x64 Edition. I think there are workarounds though.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I just got my HTPC dual booting XP and 7 last night - only using XP so I can play StepMania with my dance pad. The RedOctane control box only works with XP.

strollin

Heck, I still have machines running Win 2000 and Win 2003, let alone Win XP. I also have machines running Win 7, Win 2008 & Win 8.

There are many people out there that are still running Win XP since, for many, there really isn't any advantage to them upgrading, the system they have running XP does what they need it to do.

wolfeking

banned
I still run 2k and XP daily. I have no reason to upgrade to anything more. It does everything I ask it, except connecting to the internet on a regular basis (I think my adapter is going bad, though may be drivers).

trewyn15

I run a new install of XP Pro 32-bit SP3 on my netbook.

Runs great, is light and is still pretty much supported.

lucasbytegenius

Alright, well compatibility is something I understand. Keeping it because it "just works" isn't something I understand unless Windows 7 doesn't run well on your computer.

And still using Win 2K is really insane to me. It was great when it came out but Windows XP is so much better than 2K.

wolfeking

banned
And still using Win 2K is really insane to me. It was great when it came out but Windows XP is so much better than 2K.

Utter BS. 2K is a much easier system to use than XP. It does everything I throw at it better than XP, and quite frankly it looks better doing it too.

And so you are saying that we should spend $100+ to use windows 7 because it will do nothing XP wont while we already have XP?

NyxCharon

*begin Windows OS debate*

I've been using windows less and less since I haven't been gaming much. Linux it is :p

On topic:
A couple of my computer labs at school still use XP, but most have been updated to 7. Finally.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Yeah all the labs (except the photography lab and music tech lab [which run Macs]) are all up to Win 7 Enterprise now. A lot of the labs also just got new Optiplex 990's to replace their older Optiplex 745 counterparts.

lucasbytegenius

Utter BS. 2K is a much easier system to use than XP. It does everything I throw at it better than XP, and quite frankly it looks better doing it too.
Uh no, for beginners, XP is a lot easier compared to 2K. And it "looks better" doing stuff? Glad to know you like the Windows Classic Stone Age theme.
And so you are saying that we should spend $100+ to use windows 7 because it will do nothing XP wont while we already have XP?
Yes, because it does a lot more than XP and I've been loads more productive since I got it.

And, cough, I didn't pay $100.

voyagerfan99

Staff member
Uh no, for beginners, XP is a lot easier compared to 2K. And it "looks better" doing stuff? Glad to know you like the Windows Classic Stone Age theme.

Yes, because it does a lot more than XP and I've been loads more productive since I got it.

I haven't paid for my copies of 7 either. Got two copies from NJIT before I left, plus I have an MSDN account :D

spirit

Staff member
I prefer XP to 2K, probably because I grew up in the "XP age" though. I used XP for many years before I upgraded to Vista and then 7 (I didn't get Vista until after 7 was released). However, had I grown up in "2K age", I'm sure I'd prefer 2K. At the end of the day, it's all just personal preference.

wolfeking

banned
Uh no, for beginners, XP is a lot easier compared to 2K.
And 7 is easier for them. so based on your opinion we should just forget about everything and get windows 7. So I should just drop productivity and go to a system that looks like a 3rd grader on crack designed it. Sorry, but Vista forward windows looks like shit. Acts like it too in my experiences.

And it "looks better" doing stuff? Glad to know you like the Windows Classic Stone Age theme.
It looks better doing it because it is not distracting. Windows 7 and vista are too interfering to the user in my opinion. They spent to much time making it look good and not enough time making it useful. You might like the new crap, but it is just that. Crap.

In that case you did not know what the heck you were doing. I do a lot more on XP/2K than I have ever been able to do on vista or 7. The "features" of 7, aside from some slight upgrades in existing programs (paint and the photo editor for example) are just repackaged from other windows releases and made easier for the average computer user. Average user being the ones that think they can download more RAM, or get rid of a virus by rebooting the computer.

Good for you. I do not get stuff for free, and I am not about to downgrade my productivity, and usefulness of my computer (driver crashes on the Nvidia driver) by going to 7 again. I will stick with what I know, and what the computer was built to use. I have a feeling of doing the same thing to the desktop, but I will figure that later.

OvenMaster

VIP Member
I still use XP Home SP3 along with Win 7 in a dual-boot setup. Win7 refuses to run Nero Suite 6. And yes, with XP and Win7 I use the much cleaner and less-memory-intensive Classic Themes. Hell, on Win7 I added Classic Shell, ShellFolderFix and Network Indicator to make it all just like Win95/2000 with real Start Buttons and Menus. I cannot tolerate the default Fisher-Price GUIs. I use my PC to actually get work done, not screw around and look at the pretty - and memory sucking - colors.

XP will run anything I throw at it. Win 7 coughs up hairballs every so often. For all of the hype about 7, it feels and acts fragile. I've had more BSODs with 7 in one month than I had in eight years of XP.

Last edited:

lucasbytegenius

I haven't paid for my copies of 7 either. Got two copies from NJIT before I left, plus I have an MSDN account :D
Nice :D
And 7 is easier for them. so based on your opinion we should just forget about everything and get windows 7. So I should just drop productivity and go to a system that looks like a 3rd grader on crack designed it. Sorry, but Vista forward windows looks like shit. Acts like it too in my experiences.
I agree, Windows 2K and especially Windows XP look like 3rd graders designed them for other 3rd graders.
It looks better doing it because it is not distracting. Windows 7 and vista are too interfering to the user in my opinion. They spent to much time making it look good and not enough time making it useful. You might like the new crap, but it is just that. Crap.
You do know that you can turn off all those fancy visual effects and use your beloved Stone Age theme, right?
In that case you did not know what the heck you were doing. I do a lot more on XP/2K than I have ever been able to do on vista or 7. The "features" of 7, aside from some slight upgrades in existing programs (paint and the photo editor for example) are just repackaged from other windows releases and made easier for the average computer user. Average user being the ones that think they can download more RAM, or get rid of a virus by rebooting the computer.
Maybe you fail to see how damn handy the search box in the start menu is on Windows 7, and those jump lists for items on the taskbar are awesome.

Also, I didn't know you were into downloading RAM, here you go: http://www.downloadmoreram.com/

Good for you. I do not get stuff for free, and I am not about to downgrade my productivity, and usefulness of my computer (driver crashes on the Nvidia driver) by going to 7 again. I will stick with what I know, and what the computer was built to use. I have a feeling of doing the same thing to the desktop, but I will figure that later.
Can't downgrade your productivity more than using Windows 2k.

wolfeking

banned
Can't downgrade your productivity more than using Windows 2k.
BullShit! but you are the one saying that you are more productive in 7. So whatever. your opinions are worthless to me (on windows anyway) now. Windows 2K is the best windows version in my opinion. It works better and I am far more productive on it. You like 7, that is fine. But it is a horrid OS.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
My university still has XP on all computers that I know of (in IT/Maths/Physics labs and library), but at home it's 7, Vista or 98SE (represent!) when I'm on Windows.