Who's still on XP?

lucasbytegenius

What's Windows XP? I'm still running Windows 98 SE.
Wow. Good for you!
BullShit! but you are the one saying that you are more productive in 7. So whatever. your opinions are worthless to me (on windows anyway) now. Windows 2K is the best windows version in my opinion. It works better and I am far more productive on it. You like 7, that is fine. But it is a horrid OS.
I don't think you've used Windows 7 that much, it's pretty obvious. Judging by the screenshots you've posted it seems you've only used Windows 2k and Vista.

wolfeking

banned
My desktop is running 7 as it has for a while now. And it is far less productive for me than XP or 2K. Really I do not like it because it does not just work.

Now I am going to provide the evidence that I do not only use 2K and Vista.
This is the D630 last monday I think.
untitled-138.jpg

Desktop same day, maybe the night before. This is windows 7 with the small bar that still sticks out too much. Also eats system resources, but all it does is sit there folding till I go to game on it. Mainly because I do everything on my laptop.
Untitled-134.png

StrangleHold

Staff member
Windows XP/Vista and 7 are nothing but a continuation of 2000. I would say 2000 was the best OS Microshaft has released. I say that as in, at the time and the cleanliness of the OS even at this point. Vista was to 2000/XP as ME was to 98/98SE. Short lived. No worth upgrading from XP unless you just needed 64bit, the day 7 was released not worth buying after that. Is 2000 better then 7? At this point in 2012, No. This is from someone that has multiple copies of 95/98/98SE/ME/2000/Vista and 7.

AlienMenace

My 2 cents;
I have ran windows XP Pro x64 for 2.5 yrs. In the beginning it did have some driver problems. The real problem with Windows XP Pro x64 was, it came out as a x64 OS way before it's time. There was no support for it. And then when Vista came out all the hardware and software companies jump over Windows XP Pro x64 to Vista, bypassing Windows XP Pro x64. But it was the most stable platform I have run. And I did do my research on it before I bought it. And lucasbytegenius, You are probably running the x64 bit side of 7, where as Windows xp srv pk 3 is a 32 bit os system. Of course it will be faster and better. And the memory you are putting to it. 32bit OS has a max base memory of 3.25 - 3.5gb.
The only other problem when Windows XP Pro x64 came out back then is they couldn't run 16 bit programs. Windows xp support will discontinue in 2014. And December 2012 I will be buying Windows 7 Prof. The Home Premium version has a 16gb max on the OS, where as Prof, and Ultimate has 192gb Max.

spirit

Staff member
Professional is my favourite edition of 7. Home can sometimes be too limiting (RAM limits and domain limits and stuff like that) and I wouldn't pay the extra for the features of Ultimate, so Pro all the way.

Last edited:

WeatherMan

Running XP x86 here on the family PC, as it's old spec.

1.6GHz AMD Sempron 2600+ (Socket 754)
1GB DDR266
160GB IDE Disk

Still doesn't run too well, even though it's all cleaned up etc.. I'd like to stick Win2k on it but my USB stick doesn't support the OS, it's a 150Mb stick and I don't really fancy going back to the old 54Mb model to gain support, especially since I've put so much into the home network :)

paulcheung

We still have one old Pentium 75MHZ with 32mb ram run on MS-Dos 6.22 connected to the Novell 4.10 server, also have one windows 98SE and windows ME connected to the same server. I can't use Windows 7 on this network as it don't support the protocol. We do have one windows xp connected to it with novell xp client.
Cheers.

wolfeking

banned
I actually like vista. If it played nice with the FX2500m graphics I would run it all the time. And it was not really all that bloated. It requires more to run than the older programs, but every program is like that. Just look at BF3 vs BF2. Perfect example. Windows is the same way.

spirit

Staff member
I actually like vista. If it played nice with the FX2500m graphics I would run it all the time. And it was not really all that bloated. It requires more to run than the older programs, but every program is like that. Just look at BF3 vs BF2. Perfect example. Windows is the same way.

I don't mind Vista at all really. Trouble is people try to run it on very low-end/underpowered machines that Vista was never designed to run on and then when it runs slow they hit the forums and cry like babies.

EINREB

It seems that it is a matter of what programs you are using when deciding to use XP or W7. (Or now, W8) Also, the familiarity of the system places a great roll. I run both OSs, and have not been able to do things with W7, which I do intuitively in XP. I am sure there is a way, I just have not been able to figure it out how to do it.
I for myself play around with old computers a lot, (Z80, 6800), and use old assemblers that simply won't not run in a W7, 64 bit environment.
( I understand that W7 has a mode where you can run it as an XP machine (Virtual XP), but I have not been able to figure it out how to run it.)

I therefore am still using XP and will do so for the foreseeable future.

I tested a copy of Windows 7 , and was dissapointed by the fact that a lot of my Hardware and Software would not run on it, even with the compability mode.

The system itself is OK, however I see no point in buying a new operating system, new hardware and software while what I have now does all that I want it to do.

When my system gets to a point where I need to replace it, I will look around to what is available- I might even go for an Apple Mac or Linux.

Microsoft is NOT the only system and while they keep changing to a new system that is incompatable with previous software/hardware. i will think twice before choosing Microsoft.

Anyway I assume you have your name down for Windows 8-- If not why haven't you?

Terry

spirit

Staff member
Not sure what kind of a machine you're using if most of your hardware and software is not supported by 7. I ran Windows 7 almost perfectly on a 7 or 8 year old machine with older hardware, only the SATA RAID controller didn't work and as I don't use SATA RAID on that machine it didn't bother me.

wolfeking

banned
Agreed. I used it for a while on a laptop that was at least 10 years old and it ran just fine. Albeit it did not have graphics drivers, and no Aero theme, but that is to be expected with DX7 graphics with 32Mb of memory.

spirit

Staff member
I'd say unless you're running on hardware from pre-2002 and using software from pre-2000, Windows 7 should work with it.

Wouldn't advise running Windows 7 on hardware that old though. I only put it on my Athlon 64 box just to test it out.