why are graphing calculators (especially TI) so shitty?

Destructo

the ti-84 plus, which came out in 2004, has a 15mhz processor, 24kb ram, 480kb flash rom, and sells for $120. and don't forget about that low-res black pixel screen. i see no reason why it doesn't have an unlimited amount of memory (for a calculator) and a much faster processor. after all, 8gb ipod nanos have a high res full color screen, are really small, and i believe have 80mhz processors. they sell for $150.

the Casio FX-9860G is $80 and has 64KB RAM/1.5MB ROM. it's too bad everyone uses ti calculators.

Gooberman

Nothing has an unlimited amount of memory and don't complain about the speed, my Graphing Calculator doesn't lag at all not even a bit works just fine. Also don't try to compare Graphing Calculators to Ipods, that's just dumb. Ipod = for movies, music, and pictures = you need a lot of space. Graphing calculators are made for equations and graphs (Sorry if I was a little mean)

OvenMaster

VIP Member
Personally, I don't think TI graphing calcs are $hitty. I just think they're grossly overpriced.
I mean, think about it. The prices hardly go down year after year, the models never change, yet you can bet they only cost TI a few bucks to make. I'll bet the profit margins are huge, because they know students buy them year after year.

That said, I picked up a TI-80 for $10 brand new at Wal-Mart a few years ago. Even that bottom-of-the-totem-pole model has all the capability that I need. Well, except a percent key, which would come in darn handy!

Destructo

my point is that it wouldn't cost a thing for the calculators to have 128kb ram and 10mb flash rom, which would be virtually unlimited. and when it comes to graphing and finding integrals, the calculators are not very fast. (esp. the TI-83 plus and older.)

gamerman4

I was talking about the program nimrod and Macs don't have a netbook:D

A quick grammar lesson would tell you that "will" is simple future tense. I said nothing about their current product line-up, just a probable future product.
Also I was just making a jab at your previous two posts, one saying you would get a netbook and put a graphing app on it followed by the statement that Macs come with a graphing app. Of course I was talking about Apple so you had to go on the defensive and start calling me names. Nice. Of course the "nimrod" quip was probably in jest (I would assume, I don't think you have that much of a hard on for Apple) so I took it as a joke.

tlarkin

VIP Member
A quick grammar lesson would tell you that "will" is simple future tense. I said nothing about their current product line-up, just a probable future product.
Also I was just making a jab at your previous two posts, one saying you would get a netbook and put a graphing app on it followed by the statement that Macs come with a graphing app. Of course I was talking about Apple so you had to go on the defensive and start calling me names. Nice. Of course the "nimrod" quip was probably in jest (I would assume, I don't think you have that much of a hard on for Apple) so I took it as a joke.

it was a joke hence the emoticon, :D:mad::eek::cool::confused::eek::p:(:good:

Gooberman

Our teachers don't know the difference between labtops and netbooks :D so they'll think you're playing games lol

diduknowthat

formerly liuliuboy
Have fun trying to bring a netbook into SATs or AP exams and not be thrown out :):).

TI calculators are so expensive because they have almost a monopoly over the educational sector. It's almost a de facto product for many schools in the US.