Why choose widescreen over normal LCD?

Jet

VIP Member
Actually, I won't be getting a widescreen anytime soon. If you calculate the surface area of a 19" standard with a 21" widescreen, they are both roughly the same.

Kornowski

VIP Member
You have to make the extra step up to a new size to get the viewing space you would on a normal LCD, it costs more and I don't see the benefit, besides having to shake your head left and right to try and read something is rather annoying...

heyman421

banned
a 19" 5:4 monitor is 173.28 square inches
a 20" 16:10 monitor is 173.25 square inches

nearly identical

however, if you're playing a widescreen movie on a 5:4 monitor, it's only going to be displayed on 129 square inches, vs. the full 173 square inches on the 16:10 monitor.

Plus, 19" 5:4 monitors are 1280x1024, but you can get a 20" widescreen with 1680x1050 resolution, which is significantly more workspace than the 19" yields.

heyman421

banned
besides having to shake your head left and right to try and read something is rather annoying...

and once more,

p1010022vv6.jpg

JohnDubya

How the hell do you do that?!

There is normally an option in your graphics card software that will allow you to do something like this. I think it also depends on the monitor you're using. I just got the picture of setting a CRT on its side and using it vertically. I laughed. :D

Kornowski

VIP Member
So, you can turn a screen on it's side to view a web-page, you only have to do that because you don't get much space when its the normal way around... :p

heyman421

banned
There is normally an option in your graphics card software that will allow you to do something like this. I think it also depends on the monitor you're using. I just got the picture of setting a CRT on its side and using it vertically. I laughed. :D

Exactly, i had to install the ATI control center proggie for my drivers, it's just a drop-down menu in there, where you can turn the display to any rotation.

You could even mount your monitors upside own if you wanted to :p

Kornowski

VIP Member
even in landscape layout, i have 26 more horizontal pixels than you, that's a moot point

Of course you! It's a widescreen monitor!

Just a 19" LCD will have more viewing area vertically then a 19" Widescreen...

I know there's a moot, look, I'm just saying I prefer normal to widescreen :p

JohnDubya

Just a thought...would it be possible to install two graphics cards, both with dual outputs, and have Windows extend the desktop onto all four?

JohnDubya

Wow, that's a really sweet idea and set up! Do you have to do anything additional in Windows to get the LCD on the left to be vertical?

joeswm8

19" regular blows away 19" widescreen btw. i used to think otherwise until i gamed on a 19" regular, and what a difference

HOLY COW WHAT A SETUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARE ALL THOSE ON THE SAME EXTENDED DESKTOP???????

heyman421

banned
no, nvidia and ati drivers both have provisions for rotating any or all of your monitors

it requires the 'full' driver install, tho

which is the 'ati control panel' for ati, and whatever nvidia's counterpart of that is for the nvidia cards

kinda like creative has the 'creative audio console' etc.

Kornowski

VIP Member
Lol!

We all have our opinions, some are just better than others :p Only joking!

That's a sweet set-up you have there though dude, very, very nice work!