Why did I by this old laptop?!

Jeffrey Benton

Dell latitude d 620. What is the best way to upgrade this laptop? Please forgive me I know nothing about computers but I really want to learn. Please what can I do?

Laquer Head

That machine is quite old now, not much you can do as far as 'upgrades' unless you max out the ram.. 4GB DDR2 in this case, but I don't advise bothering.

Really only other thing is a solid state drive to speed it up a bit.

Laquer Head

Your also going to need to figure out moving your data over, and unless its been changed, according to the DeLL spec sheet, that machine shipped with Windows XP..? You're going to need a new O/S

Jeffrey Benton

With what you would spend on a SSD just buy a better laptop.
I messed up and thought I was getting a deal after I bought it I then realized how old that sucker was. I'm doing nothing with it but surfing the net and doing some study stuff. Nothing serious. But would like to make it faster

Laquer Head

Is this something I can do myself as far as the work.

Technically yes, but if you've never done it, I'd advise researching a bit. Cause installing the drive into a laptop is one thing, but you need to then get and operating system (windows) and your data onto the new drive.

Jeffrey Benton

Technically yes, but if you've never done it, I'd advise researching a bit. Cause installing the drive into a laptop is one thing, but you need to then get and operating system (windows) and your data onto the new drive.
Ok. I will work on learning before doing. And thank you for your honesty

Laquer Head

Ok. I will work on learning before doing. And thank you for your honesty

In the back of your mind, know that you can get a new machine for your basic purposes that is modern for probably $400usd. You going to spend more than half that on just trying to upgrade that current machine and its not going to be a blockbuster improvement to be truthful.