Why did I by this old laptop?!

Jeffrey Benton

In the back of your mind, know that you can get a new machine for your basic purposes that is modern for probably $400usd. You going to spend more than half that on just trying to upgrade that current machine and its not going to be a blockbuster improvement to be truthful.
I'll save for now. Mainly get on internet watch videos and not much more. Will get with ya on something later

Darren

Staff member
If you've got any local pawn shops or computer shops I'd check them out. I sell computers at work for $99.99 that blow that thing out of the water. Yeah they're used but they'd be a better use of money than wasting an SSD on that thing.

Darren

Staff member
THIS TOO^^
Srsly though, whenever customers bring in stuff like this I pretty much advise them they're wasting their money to get it fixed. Our $100 machines are Core2Duos at 2.3GHz, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and Win 7 (or 10 if they want). We sell $80 desktops even that are Phenom X2 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3, and 250GB HDD.

Laquer Head

Srsly though, whenever customers bring in stuff like this I pretty much advise them they're wasting their money to get it fixed. Our $100 machines are Core2Duos at 2.3GHz, 3GB RAM, 160GB HDD, and Win 7 (or 10 if they want). We sell $80 desktops even that are Phenom X2 2.8GHz, 4GB DDR3, and 250GB HDD.

I get that, and I can't speak to anyones personal situation, but alot of people simply can't afford the money on a new basic machine so the couple bucks in upgrades feels more doable..even if it financially doesn't make sense.

In this case, I'd agree the OP should look at a new machine or certainly something a few generations newer, but only he knows what he can/cant do..

Jeffrey Benton

If you've got any local pawn shops or computer shops I'd check them out. I sell computers at work for $99.99 that blow that thing out of the water. Yeah they're used but they'd be a better use of money than wasting an SSD on that thing.
Thanks for the advice I'll be sure to look at things a little different next time and get advice

_Glitch

Yeah i would be careful not spending too much money on that thing.
But if you choose to, you might want to look at the UV400 120gb SSD from kingston.
I'll say that's one of the best budget SSD's, and it's from a reliable brand.
I have ordered 41 of them this year at my work. Read speed for the money is great, but average write speed for a budget SSD. (Read is most important if you ask me)

btw, here is a good tutorial on how to change the RAM if you choose to buy some

Here is some decent branded once that will work on your laptop.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146697

Again, As the above users stated. You might want to ditch that laptop all together.
It's junk. :p

Last edited:

_Glitch

When saying "read speed" i am in general talking about the performance factors for reading files.
Besides, this guy doesn't know what IOPS is.

Geoff

VIP Member
I messed up and thought I was getting a deal after I bought it I then realized how old that sucker was. I'm doing nothing with it but surfing the net and doing some study stuff. Nothing serious. But would like to make it faster
How much did you spend on it if you don't mind me asking?

strollin

According to the link, your machine came with an 80GB HDD, Win 7 Pro and 2GB of RAM. Win 7 Pro would really like more RAM (especially if it's 64-bit) BUT DDR2 RAM is pretty expensive since it's not made any longer so I wouldn't advise upgrading the RAM. You can get a 120GB SSD for around $40-50 but you will need to be able to clone the original drive or do a clean install of the OS. Were you provided an install disk for the OS? If not, do you have an external drive that's big enough to copy the contents of the HDD to for a back/restore or do you have a USB->SATA adapter to connect the new drive to the machine in order to clone the original drive?

You may decide it isn't worth the cost in $$ or time to upgrade the machine, especially if you need to buy adapters and such in order to do it. In that case, use the machine as is, save the money you would have spent upgrading it and put that money toward a better machine.

Another possibility would be to install Linux and that machine. Most versions of Linux run well on older hardware like that. You can download Linux for free, you can even try Linux without installing it using an option called "Live CD" to run it directly from a CD. Does the machine have an optical drive? It isn't mentioned in the link.

Last edited: