Why do people hate vista?

andy_mitch92

Ill admit that I dont have a computer with vista on it, but i have used several dell xps laptops and one dell e521 with vista on it and i blows away my computer and i run xp home. I do see where people would be mad if they went out and got a copy of vista to run on their xp rig, i would be mad too if i spent 250$ for an os that pushes my hardware in the ways vista does. My thought on the thing is that M$ was setting a high bar for hardware companies to get over and as im seeing it its the hardware companies problems not M$ fault that they tried to build a new os that would push things. So why is it that no one can take it and admit that they may not have the right hardware to run vista like xp runs.

pc-tech

banned
Because, Vista doesn't work work with many programs and not many printers/cameras/scanners are compatible with it

Geoff

VIP Member
Not to mention that the more advanced users know all the tweaks and where everything is located, but when switching to Vista or any other new OS, it takes some getting used to, and a lot of people dont like to suddenly change. It also uses a lot more resources.

Matt_91

i find it slower when running applications and games. It boots faster, but it's slower than XP after boot

andy_mitch92

i think that you are beeing to picky, if you wanted every camera or printer in the world ever made to be compatible with it, then they would never advance the technology and we would be stuck with xp. and also changing things is fine with me and anyone else who wants to mess around with stuff, if you already know all there is to know, then wheres the fun in it

Last edited:

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I have used both, and i say i like vista much better and think it is faster than XP. I think it uses its resources better and alot of people mistake it as a resource hog

Geoff

VIP Member
I have used both, and i say i like vista much better and think it is faster than XP. I think it uses its resources better and alot of people mistake it as a resource hog
It does use more resources, but so does any new program vs an older version. I have Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop, there are just a few things that I dont like about Vista. For one, the extremely annoying UAC and permissions that pop up every time you do something. Networking settings are also a pain, because you need to go through 3-4 different menus before you actually get to the network connections page.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];805570 said:
It does use more resources, but so does any new program vs an older version. I have Vista on my laptop and XP on my desktop, there are just a few things that I dont like about Vista. For one, the extremely annoying UAC and permissions that pop up every time you do something. Networking settings are also a pain, because you need to go through 3-4 different menus before you actually get to the network connections page.

This is the MAIN reason alot of people hate vista UAC! geez, disable it in User Accounts... I guess most people think you can't disable it! :)

vonfeldt7

yeah UAC does suck, I also disabled that shit.

Other than that...I don't mind Vista at all, it's never crashed on me, and seems to run fine.

Geoff

VIP Member
This is the MAIN reason alot of people hate vista UAC! geez, disable it in User Accounts... I guess most people think you can't disable it! :)

I disable it whenever I install Vista, although it's still a pain in the ass before you disable it.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
[-0MEGA-];805586 said:
I disable it whenever I install Vista, although it's still a pain in the ass before you disable it.

Yeah, but it took me 1 minute to disable it :p

I have had my system built for about 2 months and havn't had a single freeze or crash yet with vista.

andy_mitch92

thats exactly the experience iv had with it, I have never had it freeze up on me, and xp freezes all the time, though i do very heavy multi-tasking for a 2.5ghz processor

fortyways

banned
There's a few reasons:

Some can't afford it or aren't willing to invest in it so they have to hate on it to make themselves feel justified.

Others make the mistake of comparing a brand new OS to WinXP SP2.. which was the result of endless hot fixes.

Others are too dumb to customize their OS.. can't turn UAC off, can't turn Aero off, can't turn Indexing off, etc.

UriA702

I have UAC disabled and Windows defender disabled and overall am pleased with vista, it has a lot more security features even though i have disabled them. My biggest complaint is application launch time, it is terrible at that. works pretty well for me on my desktop on my laptop it sucks, but i blame that on the low speed 4200rpm sony HD not vista.
Vista will be solid once sp1 is released. If you have downloaded all the updates you will notice a pretty big improvement in performance, I guess people like XP better cause it's simple, straight forward and it works well, while vista requires maintainance and some tweaking. I really like the file system as well.
I hate the transparent windows and all other visual effects, but it's pretty easy to see why that would appeal to folks, marketing a product that looks better convinces idiots that it will work better, when in software we see that it pretty much works the opposite way.
I do also agree with the others who have said that vista is stable. It is very stable on the two machines I run it on.
The main problem is compatibility issues and ignorant people comparing the brand new operating system to xp SP2, which had two service packs. Folks love to complain, were so used to microsoft doing everything wrong that it's natural to bash them, so that's what everyone does.

Last edited:

UriA702

There's a few reasons:

Some can't afford it or aren't willing to invest in it so they have to hate on it to make themselves feel justified.

Others make the mistake of comparing a brand new OS to WinXP SP2.. which was the result of endless hot fixes.

Others are too dumb to customize their OS.. can't turn UAC off, can't turn Aero off, can't turn Indexing off, etc.

fortyways, but you need to understand that the majority of users are those "Dumb" folks who are convinced that using configuration tools will cause irreversible damage to their illiteracy. Whether we like it or not, we geeks are the minority and the people who sit there and are like "what are dem buttons here for" are the majority. But that's Microsofts fault for building that junk in the first place. Remember folks when longhorn wasn't going well Vista was developed, so given the time frame Microsofts engineers and developers had to work on Vista, I'd say it's OK, not great but OK. Just like any other large software upgrade, the early adopters will pay the price as far as compatibility issues go. We will be having this conversation once again when the next version of windows comes out.
Just thank the lord that Vista isn't as bad as ME

Last edited:

fortyways

banned
fortyways, but you need to understand that the majority of users are those "Dumb" folks who are convinced that using configuration tools will cause irreversible damage to their illiteracy. Whether we like it or not, we geeks are the minority and the people who sit there and are like "what are dem buttons here for" are the majority. But that's Microsofts fault for building that junk in the first place. Remember folks when longhorn wasn't going well Vista was developed, so given the time frame Microsofts engineers and developers had to work on Vista, I'd say it's OK, not great but OK. Just like any other large software upgrade, the early adopters will pay the price as far as compatibility issues go. We will be having this conversation once again when the next version of windows comes out.
Just thank the lord that Vista isn't as bad as ME

How did I not convey my understanding that most people are computer-illiterate? They don't know anything, so they bitch and whine, and then they listen to each other and agree because it makes them feel safe to agree with people. That's exactly what I said.

If you're suggesting that operating systems should be dumbed down for idiots, there's always Mac.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
i do like Vista,Its better than Xp.

and i dont think it uses as much resources as people say it does :)

i have it Dual booted with Xp pro here but i still use Xp as my default os because my main game i play doesnt work on vista very well (they are working to patch it)

[-0MEGA-];805545 said:
Not to mention that the more advanced users know all the tweaks and where everything is located, but when switching to Vista or any other new OS, it takes some getting used to, and a lot of people dont like to suddenly change. It also uses a lot more resources.

That would be known as lazy...

I love Vista, I picked up quick on it, if you know XP pretty well then you should have no problem with locating Vista stuff...

patrickv

guys relax, one of the main reason ppl hate vista is not cause of the UAC it's actually the OS itself. sudden change !! the looks and everything and also programs don't work.
but oh well why should we argue this is there an online survey about vista ?