Why do people pay

bengal85

I have been wondering for a while why people pay for anti virus software when there are free programs that are good such as

AVG Free edition
Threatfire
avast home

And so many more

I mean form what I have noticed the programs are pretty comparable all except the cost.

Ramodkk

VIP Member
Because they got their computers from a retailer such as BestBuy, they talk ignorant people into buying all sorts of things, that could otherwise be obtained free.

bengal85

Yeah exactly I mean if you look at the PC Magazine for both may 2008 and November 2008
They both have a list of the top software and all the top Virus protection was freeware.

Respital

Most people pay because they are unaware that these programs can be free and sometimes even better then their paid counter-parts. Also when people buy a computer they likely get pulled in by the sales people, by things such as "Oh this isn't included and without it someone could get a hold of your private information. But don't worry if you subscribe to ________ for 30$/month then you will be fully protected". In general it's probably because people don't research as much as they should when they're making an investment in a computer.

gamerman4

A lot of times they get Norton or McAfee on their computers as a 30 day trial upon purchasing a computer and then feel obligated to pay for it after the trial runs out. Many people think that they will instantly get a virus as soon as their AV subscription runs out so they buy it. Commercial AV software pretty much preys on peoples ignorance.

lawson_jl

While I do agree that most people pay for AV cause they don't know better. But as a computer tech I have to say the vast majority of PCs I fix with virus or spyware problems have a free AV on them. The fact is a program such as NOD32 or Kasperky are better at detecting and stoping virus then the free AV collection and have a lower inpact on the system performance. If your experienced enough to find the free AVs and make a choice to use them you likely don't need an AV in the first place. NOD32 and Kasperky and even the new Norton AV 2009 (not the 360) do offer better protection for the "click here to see the Olsen twins naked crowd" then the free AVs.

Twist86

Well it comes down to intelligence. Randomly clicking on crap jumping site to site is a perfect way to get a virus.

I haven't had a virus threat with AVG in 2 years. Though I am a freak of nature...I payed for it for 1 year (10 bucks to support my favorite program) and the key has never been blocked. I been getting updates since.

bengal85

While I do agree that most people pay for AV cause they don't know better. But as a computer tech I have to say the vast majority of PCs I fix with virus or spyware problems have a free AV on them. The fact is a program such as NOD32 or Kasperky are better at detecting and stoping virus then the free AV collection and have a lower inpact on the system performance. If your experienced enough to find the free AVs and make a choice to use them you likely don't need an AV in the first place. NOD32 and Kasperky and even the new Norton AV 2009 (not the 360) do offer better protection for the "click here to see the Olsen twins naked crowd" then the free AVs.

Yeah even though I agree with this AVG scans and kills and traces of a virus doesn't it

tremmor

i like Lawson comment. I always liked avg free and works fine. On the otherhand i hang out downstairs. i like the extra protection like Nod and Kaspersky. it does a little more. Hands down, if your a straight shooter then avg free works. if you play then others will be needed.

ceewi1

VIP Member
Security suites provide a lot more features than just anti-virus software, such as firewalls, anti-spam, etc... Certainly you can get those features using separate programs for each, but many people prefer an all-in-one solution. Manufacturers of paid security suites also generally provide support, which you won't have with a free product. Paid products are also licensed for use in a business environment, whereas the free programs are generally home use only.

bengal85

Security suites provide a lot more features than just anti-virus software, such as firewalls, anti-spam, etc... Certainly you can get those features using separate programs for each, but many people prefer an all-in-one solution. Manufacturers of paid security suites also generally provide support, which you won't have with a free product. Paid products are also licensed for use in a business environment, whereas the free programs are generally home use only.

Yeah I can see MAYBE paying for a security suite but still you can all the stuff from a security suite in freeware programs but it in this case I can see where one program would be beneficial to you

bengal85

I have now after alot of research found out why people pay. It is simply they do not know what a freeware program can offer people.

g4m3rof1337

I bought Kaspersky, and haven't had a single problem, or even regretted it. I've always used Avast!, AVG, and some other free programs, but never really found one I liked.. So I tried Kaspersky, and love it. I don't mind buying things if I know I'll like it, same reason I pay for WoW every month, that, and I have money to spend..

linkin

VIP Member
I bought AVG internet security, and i have to say it's worth the $70 au.
Ever since i bought it not one piece of virus/malware/adware/spyware has gotten through... even though i do sometimes use torrents. I do like Avast! and AVG free edition... norton is just... well, norton. :rolleyes:

604action

People are unaware of the things that you can do on the internet
3f4366aeb9c157cf9a30c90693eafc55.jpg