Wifi card for Win95/98

Status
Not open for further replies.

The VCR King

After Christmas I am going to one of the local thrift stores to buy an old retro computer, and I am going to be putting it in my bedroom. My room is nowhere near my modem area and I have no ethernet or phone ports in my room. I know that the machine I will buy WILL either be Windows 95 or 98. I have this wifi router: http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wirel...8&qid=1416700424&sr=8-3&keywords=netgear+n900 and I am wondering if there are any USB Wi-Fi cards that will (1) accept the signals from this router and (2) work with Win 95/98. My Amazon searches on this have returned nothing.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
As Voyagerfan has said, its not worth buying a machine that old. That was his point, not that it was better to run a cable compared to going wireless.

beers

Staff member
You'd be better off with a DD-WRT router in bridge mode or something. Then you can wire it from your PC but still have wireless from the unit.

You seem to waste a lot of money on ridiculous things.

The VCR King

Again,
1. I don't have phone or ethernet in my room.
2. The room with my routers and switches is down the hall and nowhere near my bedroom.
3. I am not running cables all over my house and I am not buying another router!
4. I could give a crap less about speed or performance of a wifi card. Just tell me if they make one or not, give me an Amazon link to it, stop criticizing me, and let me get on with my day! :mad:

Geoff

VIP Member
Your best bet is to do what Beers suggested, either use an old router running DD-WRT, or buy a wireless bridge. These will let you connect an ethernet device to a wireless network, and there are no need for drivers.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Probably not. Once again Beers suggestion is the best so you don't have to worry about drivers and wireless card support, as that will be your biggest issue.

Seriously if you want to continue on this forum, you need to stop bitching about what people's answers are and accept them.

beers

Staff member
I was looking up wireless bridges and they are all wifi routers. I don't want to buy another router!

Facedesk. A bridge connects to the router wirelessly. Your PC connects to the bridge using an ethernet cable. From there the PC communicates to the router using the wireless uplink from the bridge to the router.

The VCR King

Oh I understand now. I'm so stupid... I'll buy one of those! What kind do I need for my router though? It's a Netgear dualband n900

spirit

Staff member
Just to so you know, Windows 95 and 98 are hopeless on the internet. Most sites don't even work properly with IE7/8 these days - let alone 4 and 5 that 95 and 98 came with and no modern browsers work on them. You can upgrade 98 to IE6 but that was a crap browser even when it was current.

You might be better off keeping these machines offline or if you really want to see how bad they are online run them in virtual machines.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Yeah that should work.

Just to so you know, Windows 95 and 98 are hopeless on the internet. Most sites don't even work properly with IE7/8 these days - let alone 4 and 5 that 95 and 98 came with and no modern browsers work on them.

You might be better off keeping these machines offline or if you really want to see how bad they are online run them in virtual machines.

Don't bother. I've given up. If he wants to waste time and money on old crap, so be it.

PCunicorn

While it may be true VCR King says a lot of dumb stuff, I think it's pretty bad of you guys to crap on his thread. It's not our job (not that it's really a job) to tell him where to spend his money, we're supposed to help him. Besides a retro computer probably won't even cost that much. Though, VCR, a compact Mac is much cooler IMO.

As already said a wireless bridge is your best bet, though I do have to ask, what are you going to do on this old computer that needs internet?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.