Wifi card for Win95/98

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geoff

VIP Member
Mainly teamviewer remote controlling from the gaming PC. Stream video maybe
Good luck getting either to run on a Windows 95/98 machine, streaming video from the internet will not work. Even if you found a browser that was compatible, the hardware alone would not allow playback to stream smoothly. Even XP is starting to see limitations.

ninjabubbles3

Good luck getting either to run on a Windows 95/98 machine, streaming video from the internet will not work. Even if you found a browser that was compatible, the hardware alone would not allow playback to stream smoothly. Even XP is starting to see limitations.

I agree, my XP machine, with .5 GBs RAM, and a snappy .4 GHz processor, can barely load YouTube, let alone stream from Netflix or Twitch

IMO,its not worth the effort, but by all means, do what you want to do.

ScottALot

Mainly teamviewer remote controlling from the gaming PC. Stream video maybe

That will never happen. We're trying to make sure you don't waste a couple hundred on something that will end up out in the curb. 95/98 run word processing, text/image-based internet, and Tomb Raider quite well. Outside of that, you're going to go full :mad: .

EDIT: Tomb Raider the first PC game, not the new one.

Jiniix

I'm almost afraid to suggest it, but instead of finding a Win95/98 PC, find one with Windows XP and throw a linux distro on it.
All USB adapters should work, it'll handle streaming more efficiently than Windows and Teamviewer will work :)

Okedokey

photo-thumb-2314.png

beers

Staff member
I'm almost afraid to suggest it

Boo. He could just install 98 in a VM and save a crapload of heartache, but he really just wants to experience blowing his limited income on bullcrap and being frustrated when it doesn't work right or live up to any degree of sensationalized expectation :p

tremmor

I don't remember 95 or 98 supporting usb. I don't remember usb then. all serial ports only. and don't think it was even available then. basic video, serial and 3-1/2 disc. No burner either. could be wrong though.

have 95 osr2 and 98 on cd's.
Windows 3.1 was on 3-1/2 disc. thinking like 10 of them.
old memories. still have the cd's though.

Last edited:

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
I don't remember 95 or 98 supporting usb. I don't remember usb then. all serial ports only. and don't think it was even available then. basic video, serial and 3-1/2 disc. No burner either. could be wrong though.

Yup, you're wrong. I had a custom build 750Mhz Celeron PC with Windows 98. It had a CD burner and two USB ports.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Yeah, 98 and 98SE had USB drivers. Pretty sure it was only USB 1.0. Might have been USB 2.0 3rd party drivers.

Agent Smith

I would get a Netbook, connect an external monitor and keyboard. That's what I have in the kitchen. Although it is kinda slow it would have XP and be a lot better than 98se. I can watch YouTube videos on it and play Pandora. But I would get the atom build of Pale Moon browser.

Geoff

VIP Member
Netbooks suck! If it doesn't have a CD drive it's pointless to me.
They were popular before tablets were commonplace. For people who wanted an ultraportable computer that was somewhat usable.

Many ultrabooks and all-in-one computers don't have optical drives, such as most of the MacBook line, as well as new Mac Minis and iMacs, along with many other PC manufacturers.

It's not that hard to get a USB optical drive.

aldan

well,since you already know what your doing,there is no need for anyone chiming in here,is there? its amazing how you complain when someone criticizes your ideas and complain again when someone actually tries to help you.wireless bridge dude!

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
well,since you already know what your doing,there is no need for anyone chiming in here,is there? its amazing how you complain when someone criticizes your ideas and complain again when someone actually tries to help you.wireless bridge dude!

And with that, I believe this thread is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.