Wifi hotspot vs smartphone tethering?

I started camping late last summer at a spot we bought..there is no electricity other than my generator. But we get a pretty good signal, so I rented a free hotspot from a local library and went out there and was able to play games with my friends and stream netflix pretty damn well pulling about 24mbps from the 4g unit. I also know my samsung phone is also able to work as a wifi hotspot...My question is would my phone act and perform as the same as one of these wifi hotspots as far as performance? I know I would use my own data but is there a difference between a dedicated hotspot box and using my phone as one? Thanks!

strollin

If you are the only person connecting, meaning you only have 1 simultaneous connection, your phone should be about as good as the standalone hotspot. However, if you have multiple devices connecting, then the standalone unit may be more capable.

beers

Staff member
Should be pretty similar, although depending on same/different carrier you may get different signal or speeds. Also if you have CDMA and get a call, everyone will get RIP'd :p