Will it work with Vista?

Kornowski

VIP Member
I have a wireless reciever for my internet, and it came with the software to put it on, it's Inventel 802.11G reciever, do you think the software / drivers (WLAN Config) will work with Vista, if they don't, I won't have any internet...

PC eye

banned
You may find those drivers to be more flexible then those usually seen for hardware and programs you run. Even the 64bit versions of Windows have some backward compatibilty with 32bit. Drivers provided by ISP's are generally broader ranged to cover the different versions of Windows.

Here the exact same dsl driver used on 98 work well on Vista too. While both are 32bit the drivers might even work on 95 which was 16bit unless that was the minimum requirement. Another thought of course would be to contact the ISP's support staff on this.

Kornowski

VIP Member
dont see why not. You could try looking on their website if they have one

In the links I posted, they said they don't have one for x64 Vista, only 32bit, which sucks majorly! So now I don't know if I should get x64, I really want to though! :(

PC Eye, so you're saying the 32bit drivers may work with the x64 OS? It says in the links that it doesn't...

PC eye

banned
They won't guaranty it probably for the obvious differences between the 32 and 64bit versions of Windows. But this is also one thing I have mentioned before about the 64bit OSs still more or less being in their infancy. Others that rushed into having a 64bit version as their main OS have run into a lack of drivers for other hardwares as well.

This is one reason why looking into contacting the support staff about running a 64bit edition is the thought here. They would be in the better position to answer whether there is some type of OS tweak or patch available maybe in beta form.

apj101

VIP Member
it wont work. the above is PC_eye's way of saying he doesn't really know ;)

nearly all x86-32 bit driver are not support by vista or XP x64 bit OS's.

Kornowski are you sure they dont have a x64 driver...thats pretty poor. what is the model of the device?

Kornowski

VIP Member
nearly all x86-32 bit driver are not support by vista or XP x64 bit OS's.

I don't really get it, could you re-phrase that please :eek:

Kornowski are you sure they dont have a x64 driver...thats pretty poor. what is the model of the device?

Yeah, In the two links I've posted above they say there isn't any support for 64bit Vitsa, only ones for the 32bit version. So now I don't think I'll be getting Vista... Bummer!

apj101

VIP Member
I was responding the PC_eyes suggestion that sometimes a 32 bit driver will work on a 64 bit vista operating system. It wont. Ive heard cases of some 32 bit drivers working but they are rare.
Unless you have a 64 bit driver you will stuggle to get the hardware to work on a 64 bit OS (unless it has some built in generic drivers that will work)

There are 32 bit versions of vista available

Kornowski

VIP Member
Ah right, I get you know.

I know there are 32bit versions of Vista, I was after a 64bit version because it performs slightly faster and it would allow me to have 4GB of RAM.

PC eye

banned
This is why I suggested the possibility of a driver set being in beta form at the present time and the reason they have to state that none are available at the present time. Those that find a 64bit version faster at this time is mainly due to not seeing much in the way of games and apps for them at this point for the home user.

The mainstream market is still enmeshed with 32bit. It will take quite a bit longer for the transition from 32bit then it did when going from 16 to 32bit in the 95-98 versions. NT was already 32bit at that time. I went through this when trying to Linux drivers for dsl here when trying out different distros. Finally those are becoming more available.

apj101

VIP Member
I heard it was something like 3.25GB? :confused:

Would you say it was pointless and more hastle going for the x64bit?
well the os can address 4gb, but it has to use some of the address space for other hardware on the pci such as your vid card etc. So you may see that the ram address drops from 4 to 3gb, but you have the same (plus other) issues in win xp 32it.
You can try implementing the physical address extension
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/pae/default.mspx

PC eye

banned
The one thing I mentioned to you before was to try it as a secondary not primary version there in case you were regretting things later. Many are waiting for the SP1 and possible SP2 before even upgrading or dual booting one of the 32bit versions. The one thing I can say here with a 32bit version installed is that the drivers for the new build seem to work better in Vista then XP.

In fact one big annoyance lately was the driver updates for the sound card where Vista drivers were installed when selecting XP as the version at the support site. That was followed when the same thing happened when updating at the MS update page selecting the optional updates for sound there. I then simply used a restore point to see the original cd drivers work.

I was pondering 4gb here for other reasons involving the loads video capturing/editing will place on a cpu as well as the amount of memory used to see whether the increase would help despite the 3gb barrier. I didn't know if you had a chance to read the article about this when I first came across it. You can read that at http://www.dansdata.com/askdan00015.htm

Kornowski

VIP Member
So I rekon I'll get 32bit Vista, along with 2 x 512MB of RAM, so I'd have 3GB of RAM, that'd be more than enough, right?

tlarkin

VIP Member
the 64 bit is not faster per se. It allows access to 64bit architecture and memory addressing. More RAM does not equal faster.

Really, MS screwed this up royally. They should not have seperate versions of the OS. Instead they should have both 64bit and 32bit libraries natively on the OS, so you can run either or, and not have this huge compatibility problems. Several Linux distros do this as well as OS X.

As far as the digital receiver goes, are you referring to a router or an actual media receiver?