Will it work with Vista?

Kornowski

VIP Member
It has to be wireless though, I can't have the cable run up to my room...

Also, I don't have or know anybody that has x64 Vista :(

PC eye

banned
Well I am not a software developer but I can tell you from my professional experience in IT, that 64bit is not anywhere near being a standard platform for windows. Developers have not released support for it yet. Vista has been in production for over 6 years and released for over 9 months and driver support still sucks for it. Having over 3.25gigs of RAM does not even improve system performance unless you are actually using all of it. Also, since Vista is also the biggest flop of upgrades and major companies like HP and Dell and Lenevo have decided to let their customer's get XP on their systems still and people are still gettting it, there is no pressure on the developers to even start making 64bit applications.

At least you can readily understand the term "infancy" for the 64bit OSs at this time. With the software market place still saturated with 32bit games and apps for the next several years the Linux platform has seen far more progress along these lines being an open source type OS.

For memory the leap from 1gb upto 2gb for both XP and Vista versions is what sees a performance boost far more then simply adding more after the essentials plus are met. When Vista was first seen one vendor had the XP Pro 64bit edition OEM for about $50 I was pondering for secondary application and decided to try out the latest version of Windows instead for getting familiar with it.

Where the new model tuner card for the 32bit versions of Vista? The company released a Vista driver for use with Vista's version of Media Center but no Ultra TV application or patch that would normally be seen separate from MC. As expected however every new version of Windows sees a good wait for drivers. When 98SE first came out there was a wait there too while being a more popular version some still use!

Adding further there are several right here at CF that are already running the 64bit version. run a search for a lookover of the threads discussing the upgrade to that version. You will also see some of the problems when no drivers for other things are available.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Right, so it's looking as if when I get Vista it's going to be Vista 32 bit and take the easy way and be able to find the drivers, maybe another 1GB of RAM too, but I think I may wait till the first SP comes out. Whens that likely to be?

PC eye

banned
The news about the SP1 for Vista as well as a beta version of SP3 for XP was recently seen. Someone posted a link in a recent thread for the article on that. Give that a few months and SP1 should see a finished version for general application. XP will also see a long awaited service pack that includes the IE 7 version as well as some long list of security fixes seen lately at the update site.

I had to see over 90 downloaded and installed on the new build here when going to update XP alone. Vista now sees the install updates and shutdown option when going to turn off your system making that process a little easier rather then sit and wait at the support site.

Kornowski

VIP Member
I looked up, and apparently the Vista SP1 is going to be available in October or November of this year...

I may get x64 if I can find all the drivers I need, failing that, I'll probably get 32bit...

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I would just see if you could find a PCI card and see if their site has 64bit drivers. I would get a PCI card over USB anyday. I had a similar problem with my linksys pci card, but i found drivers from another company that worked...

Edit: but if that works, GREAT! :D

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Whats the benefit of a PCI card over USB? I'd prefer a USB one.

Yeah, I think I'll try it... I ran Vista upgrade advisor and it says that there is a problem with Realtek HD sound not working with Vista, but there are drivers on the Gigabyte web-site, so it'd work, right?

Also, it comes up with the USB reciever, which I expected. Apparently made by Conexant Systems, Inc. But I still can't find any drivers or anything.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
If you can find drivers for the sound it should work, it may work without them. I think you get better reception with a PCI card with the large antenna and isn't pci faster than what a usb could allow? But i think the usb one will be fine, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. If it don't work then you could consider a new card.

best of luck :D

tlarkin

VIP Member
If you can find drivers for the sound it should work, it may work without them. I think you get better reception with a PCI card with the large antenna and isn't pci faster than what a usb could allow? But i think the usb one will be fine, you probably won't be able to tell the difference. If it don't work then you could consider a new card.

best of luck :D

Speed makes no difference here, considering with overhead and packet loss you would be lucky to get 50mbit bandwidth on your wifi. PCI has more power to it for a stronger antenna perhaps, but it doesn't make it faster. It would also consume more power.

I still recommend running a Cable if at all possible. I know you already stated you couldn't but really running one patch cable is not all that hard, just takes a bit of time and effort to run it.

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I can tell no difference between my wired modem and this computer on the wireless card. My point is the PCI card is better than a usb but would be little to no noticable difference, though wired is the best. But i don't think its an option. :rolleyes:

PC eye

banned
With the local ISP's dsl service here the initial installations of wireless rather then hard wired to usb was a cause for concern for them. I would rather have the hard wired to usb over wireless to pci. Recently when helpiing someone get cable to usb giong he had used a Lan cable instead of the usb that came with the ISP's modem. Once those were swapped the home page was seen.

For nik cards and a preferred cable input pci does offer more power. But the drivers for usb can be replaced and updated right at MS far easier. I do agree with tlarkin on seeing a more solid direct connection with a patch cable run over wireless. The signal is direct and inteference free over problems that can come up like IF or RF types of interference. That's expecially true for any large downloads where consistency counts. The question would be are you able to run a patch cable for this?

Kornowski

VIP Member
Nah, I can't have my desktop wired to the router, it has to be wireless.

Thanks for the suggestions ThatGuy :) But I'm going to go with USB ;)
Rekon you guys could help me find a good one on this site that will work with Vista x64 that isn't too expensive please?

www.ebuyer.com

Kornowski

VIP Member
I can't find Vista 64 drivers for some of them, can you find any for that one or the Linksys one? I'm starting to think 32bit would be better!

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
Linksys don't have 64bit drivers yet either. I just got lucky after reading up on good that the same card through a different manufacture had drivers for it...

Seems that the only thing that i have trouble with are drivers with wireless cards, everything else that has a 32bit drivers for vista has them for 64.

Last edited:

Kornowski

VIP Member
Let me know if it works! :D

Yeah, if you want to give me some help :) lol Think you could link me to one and it's drivers please?