Will it work with Vista?

Kornowski

VIP Member
lol, A spanner in the works! I already have XP, I was thinking of upgrading to Vista... but now I don't know! Majorly sucks!

ThatGuy16

VIP Member
I love vista much better over XP, it seems to operate faster and love its features. Korowski, why don't you dual boot XP and 64 or 32bit Vista?

Jabes

banned
I love vista much better over XP, it seems to operate faster and love its features. Korowski, why don't you dual boot XP and 64 or 32bit Vista?

lol did u ever try that I did and u couldn't see any xp files in vista so I made my whole xp partition owned by vista xp didn't like that so it screwed up completely

Kornowski

VIP Member
I could dual boot, but I'd much sooner just have one OS installed, I don't know, I don't want to waste the space, because I know I'd be in one of them far more than the other, and Vista would probably get the most use.

PC eye

banned
You don't need ultimate anyway. The only major difference between home premium and ultimate is the ability to connect to domain networks, and the encrypted file system.

The actual main differences between Ultimate and Home Premium editions is the 3 network orientated features seen there along with a hardware protection feature. Other then that for strictly home use it's overpriced.

I looked at getting the Ultimate version and the comparison when Vista was first released. The comparison of features between the different editions is seen at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/editions/choose.mspx

lol did u ever try that I did and u couldn't see any xp files in vista so I made my whole xp partition owned by vista xp didn't like that so it screwed up completely

You must have directly upgraded over XP. I can have full access between two separate drives with Vista on one and XP on another. Other then the new DocumentsandSettings folder now a new type of archive with the users folder replacing that I can go back and forth in either version for access to just about any file on either drive.

Jabes

banned
You must have directly upgraded over XP. I can have full access between two separate drives with Vista on one and XP on another. Other then the new DocumentsandSettings folder now a new type of archive with the users folder replacing that I can go back and forth in either version for access to just about any file on either drive.

nope I just did a fresh install of vista on a new partition

PC eye

banned
On the multi drive system here Vista is running on a separate drive from XP and I can copy files back and forth between drives at any time. When going to install XP on the first sata on the new build here to see a fresh copy for the new board and hardwares the XP installer tried to replace Vista on the ide drive even having chosen the first sata drive. I found dos files at the root of the Vista drive.

That was the only time a problem came up between the two versions of Windows since I triple booted Vista with both the Home and Pro versions on the last build. You would have to provide a little more detail on what problems you saw there.

Meanwhile I have to spend more time in XP in order to get things done there while Vista runs good when used on the ide drive installed. When I can replace the tuner card with a Vista ready model or they release a Vista update then more time can be spent there. So far despite the problems with beta sound drivers on the last build Vista has worked out well as far as games while color management for the ATI model card is seeing problems in both Vista and XP lately.

Dual and multibooting always involves a little work to see things go well. But it also allows the two worlds of XP and Vista and even others when you decide to add Linux or another OS on the system even a 64bit edition of Vista or XP Pro. This allows for things one OS will offer while not seen in another.

Jabes

banned
On the multi drive system here Vista is running on a separate drive from XP and I can copy files back and forth between drives at any time. When going to install XP on the first sata on the new build here to see a fresh copy for the new board and hardwares the XP installer tried to replace Vista on the ide drive even having chosen the first sata drive. I found dos files at the root of the Vista drive.

That was the only time a problem came up between the two versions of Windows since I triple booted Vista with both the Home and Pro versions on the last build. You would have to provide a little more detail on what problems you saw there.

Meanwhile I have to spend more time in XP in order to get things done there while Vista runs good when used on the ide drive installed. When I can replace the tuner card with a Vista ready model or they release a Vista update then more time can be spent there. So far despite the problems with beta sound drivers on the last build Vista has worked out well as far as games while color management for the ATI model card is seeing problems in both Vista and XP lately.

Dual and multibooting always involves a little work to see things go well. But it also allows the two worlds of XP and Vista and even others when you decide to add Linux or another OS on the system even a 64bit edition of Vista or XP Pro. This allows for things one OS will offer while not seen in another.

yea I created a new partition on my xp hard drive I think thats where I screwed up

PC eye

banned
When creating a second partition for Vista it failed right there. Vista just seems to love the first one on a drive for some reason. When trying to install Vista when XP Pro was on the second ide in the last build the installer simply stalled until the first primary was later selected for the upgrade/replacement there.

XP has to go on the second primary first it seems before installing Vista on the first. That will see XP then added into Vista's own boot configuration. Vista being the newer version wants to take over being the problem you saw.

Jabes

banned
that wasn't the problem the problem was that I couldn't see the files on the xp partition in vista unless I made myself the owner of the files I wanted to see so I made myself the owner in vista and it screwed xp up

PC eye

banned
In other words you needed permissions that were not set correctly. Yet without any new permissions and a simple install of both versions you should have ready access to files and folders while not having access to the protected system files and some folders under your user name.

Jabes

banned
In other words you needed permissions that were not set correctly. Yet without any new permissions and a simple install of both versions you should have ready access to files and folders while not having access to the protected system files and some folders under your user name.

yea I don't think any of my files were protected but watever idc

Howski

Whats the best way to tell which processes to shut down for optimum gaming performance in Vista?, like in XP, shut down all except for taskmgr. exe, explorer.exe,sys,local service, it seems like Vista is hungry, for services