Will Rzyen make some Intel builds cheaper?

Calin

Yes, the 6c/12 and 8c/16t Ryzens will beat the 6500, but the 6500 is still a great CPU

Yes, the 6c/12 and 8c/16t Ryzens will beat the 6500, but the 6500 is still a great CPU

I expect the AMD CPU to be cheaper or better for the price though. I will have to ask my store when they will be able to get hold of the parts. When will the new stuff be on Part picker?

EDIT: Although, honestly, I think the people at the store would still recommend the Intel CPU / GTX 1060.

Darren

Staff member
The only Ryzen chips officially unveiled are the 1700, 1700X, and 1800X. All 8 core 16 thread and starting at $330. The cheaper CPU's won't come for another month it looks like so pricing for both brands is gonna be all over the place over the next couple months I'd guess.

Ryzen will force Intel to drop prices on their current chips to remain competitive. No way around that.

mistersprinkles

If you have not built your machine yet it would be wise to wait for Intel to drop their prices in response to the Zen launch as well as waiting for the 6/4 core ZEN cpus to see how they compare in terms of performance/price/overclocking compared to Intel offerings.

So far the really crappy thing about Zen seems to be that it doesn't overclock that high (which can be forgiven since it's 8 core) and also the higher clocks really put a lot of hurt on the motherboard's power delivery section. That phantom has followed AMD over from the FX debacle.