Will this RAM upgrade work?

Mosely22

Hey guys, haven't been on here forever! Nice to be back

I never upgraded any Laptops I've had but would like to, as mine is nearly 6 years old now! Currently have 6g DDR3. Would an upgrade of 16g (2 x 8g) of DDR4 work for my laptop? Or would I have to go with DDR3?

_Pete_

Have you looked to see what the maximum RAM is for that computer? I did and it says 8 Gb so you could be wasting your money if you go for 16 Gb. Have a look at the specs just to make sure before you commit.

Mosely22

Have you looked to see what the maximum RAM is for that computer? I did and it says 8 Gb so you could be wasting your money if you go for 16 Gb. Have a look at the specs just to make sure before you commit.

You're right. I know this is basic stuff, sorry guys. Glad I made this thread, lol.

Max RAM is 8GB for this laptop. So I'll get 2 x 4gb. Should I get the highest MHz?

Darren

Staff member
I'd just get like 1600MHz or 1333MHz. Any higher and you're liable for it to not work, higher speed DDR3 didn't even exist when that laptop came out and any speed difference you might find between the two (if it even worked) would be bottlenecked by your CPU anyway.

Mosely22

Okay, I'll go with 1600MHz then. 100% it should work right?
I tried plugging in my laptop model on Amazon and NewEgg but it didn't even have the option to see if it was compatible for me or not lol

Darren

Staff member
The current config is a 4 and a 2 at 1333MHz. Really just snag a matching 4GB stick of the other one and run with it. Going up an extra 2GB of RAM will be somewhat negligible anyway on that.

Quite frankly I wouldn't even bother, if you want a speed increase get a new machine. An extra 2GB of RAM won't do anything at all except under heavier multi tasking.

Darren

Staff member
Sidenote: An SSD drive would have a huge performance improvement if that's not something you already have.

UnholyVision

I second the SSD thing. It would add some speed to the experience.

If you're just giving life into an older machine, you could also install a Linux distro on it. It would give you a snapper experience and even get you updates that may not be there in Windows 7 & faster than installing Windows 10 with older hardware.

Darren

Staff member
I second the SSD thing. It would add some speed to the experience.

If you're just giving life into an older machine, you could also install a Linux distro on it. It would give you a snapper experience and even get you updates that may not be there in Windows 7 & faster than installing Windows 10 with older hardware.

I swear a third of your posts drag Linux in from a totally unrelated standpoint. :p It's still a third gen i5, it's not like it can't handle Windows.

Mosely22

Thanks for the feedback guys, really appreciate the help

I may not even upgrade it. I was mainly thinking of getting some more RAM because I use a couple different browsers with a few tabs in each...

beers

Staff member
You can find some used kits on like Mercari or something for $50ish if you wanted 16g if that's worth it to you.

Darren

Staff member
Are you monitoring RAM usage in task manager? Are you maxing out or getting close? If so yeah grab another stick but a new machine is ideal naturally.