Will this RAM upgrade work?

UnholyVision

I swear a third of your posts drag Linux in from a totally unrelated standpoint. :p It's still a third gen i5, it's not like it can't handle Windows.
Nothing I said was unrelated. OP is trying to speed up their 6 year old computer based off the first post. At least this is what it seemed like. I made a valid reply with truthful information. Sorry for listing a possible option. Jeez.

beers

Staff member
Nothing I said was unrelated. OP is trying to speed up their 6 year old computer based off the first post. At least this is what it seemed like. I made a valid reply with truthful information. Sorry for listing a possible option. Jeez.
He's just giving you grief.

W10 is pretty snappy with an SSD on even old hardware like that still, though.

Darren

Staff member
It's a valid suggestion, was just poking fun. W10 actually runs better than 7 a lot of the time. Even on older hardware.

UnholyVision

It's a valid suggestion, was just poking fun.

W10 actually runs better than 7 a lot of the time. Even on older hardware.
Here lies the power of text at work. I got the gist of what your first reply was saying, but seemed a little condescending on how it read to me. Wasn't a big deal to me, but just like, wow rude. Yet as stated the power of text on the internet.

I know it's snappier in some ways, I did install the Windows 10 day one of release. Though a lot of the time it was about the same in some areas. Until Microsoft goes and borks it up again, lol. (Way to save money Microsoft, by laying off the testers & half the building).

As for this guys laptop, I would argue that Intel graphics on Windows vs Linux is debatable. Specially now when you have the Vulkan drivers for that extra little push & Windows has the questionable patches that can slow down an Intel chip for no good reason, while there refused in Linux. (https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/21/192) I'm generally curious about how much of an impact it has on a Windows before and after machine.
(Also this is a year old, but https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=win10-creators-hd630&num=2 that rolling release is killing Ubuntu & Windows 10 in some things).

Speaking of one of my install of Windows 10, uggh that upgrade was annoying. If you didn't backup your Windows 7 restore quickly Windows 10 could delete the option. I had a computer delete it the second day of the upgrade. =/ Burned the HDD afterwards, well dd'ed if that counts as burning, lol.

Darren

Staff member
Here lies the power of text at work. I got the gist of what your first reply was saying, but seemed a little condescending on how it read to me. Wasn't a big deal to me, but just like, wow rude. Yet as stated the power of text on the internet.

I know it's snappier in some ways, I did install the Windows 10 day one of release. Though a lot of the time it was about the same in some areas. Until Microsoft goes and borks it up again, lol. (Way to save money Microsoft, by laying off the testers & half the building).

As for this guys laptop, I would argue that Intel graphics on Windows vs Linux is debatable. Specially now when you have the Vulkan drivers for that extra little push & Windows has the questionable patches that can slow down an Intel chip for no good reason, while there refused in Linux. (https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/1/21/192) I'm generally curious about how much of an impact it has on a Windows before and after machine.
(Also this is a year old, but https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=win10-creators-hd630&num=2 that rolling release is killing Ubuntu & Windows 10 in some things).

Speaking of one of my install of Windows 10, uggh that upgrade was annoying. If you didn't backup your Windows 7 restore quickly Windows 10 could delete the option. I had a computer delete it the second day of the upgrade. =/ Burned the HDD afterwards, well dd'ed if that counts as burning, lol.

Noted.

I will say it does irk me when Linux lovers (which is fine and totally valid) suggest more typical users install Linux as a supposed fix or cure. The vast majority of the public (like less than 1 percent) would feel comfortable switching to Linux and it's almost always going to give you more trouble than it's worth. Us? Sure we can deal with Linux, and you even prefer it, but generally speaking it's not the best advice for anyone except a tech user. It's made big gains in usablity and the like but an OS switch to something new is no small thing regardless of the platform.

UnholyVision

I will say it does irk me when Linux lovers (which is fine and totally valid) suggest more typical users install Linux as a supposed fix or cure. The vast majority of the public (like less than 1 percent) would feel comfortable switching to Linux and it's almost always going to give you more trouble than it's worth. Us? Sure we can deal with Linux, and you even prefer it, but generally speaking it's not the best advice for anyone except a tech user. It's made big gains in usablity and the like but an OS switch to something new is no small thing regardless of the platform.
What irks me is this here. Suggesting that Linux as a whole is harder for non-tech users. I can tell you the installer for an Windows 10 vs say Ubuntu is far easier for a basic person. They also sell distro's already partitioned on a USB stick. Things are in the software centers and sometimes app stores that make finding software much easier for the average user making the terminal never touched.

I've helped elderly people install Linux easier than Windows. Which have found distros like Mint easier to navigate than Windows. In fact I would argue that the average user is more suited on Linux than Windows. Because what I consider an average user is the normal, got to get on my PC to look something up online, talk to a friend, and basic little tasks like word documents.

If you're more advanced you're talking about video editing and all that jazz. Yet, there are alternatives, but if you can't adapt that's the users issue & not the software. (Considering people like to get stuck in workflows). Basically the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair. That is not intended to be snarky, but true in any case be it switching from any OS. Someone can cry over that all day, but really doesn't matter in such an argument. (In other words, feelings and being stuck in ones ways, doesn't make anything better or worse).

Edit: I'm not suggesting anyone change just because either. Use what you want, but don't pull the, "Oh well it's harder" crap. Because, that is just silly. Also, all OS's have problems. If you can't see them, you're just dealing with them & not really focusing on them as you got use to it. That's a silly stance as well to take.

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
What irks me is this here. Suggesting that Linux as a whole is harder for non-tech users. I can tell you the installer for an Windows 10 vs say Ubuntu is far easier for a basic person. They also sell distro's already partitioned on a USB stick. Things are in the software centers and sometimes app stores that make finding software much easier for the average user making the terminal never touched.

I've helped elderly people install Linux easier than Windows. Which have found distros like Mint easier to navigate than Windows. In fact I would argue that the average user is more suited on Linux than Windows. Because what I consider an average user is the normal, got to get on my PC to look something up online, talk to a friend, and basic little tasks like word documents.

If you're more advanced you're talking about video editing and all that jazz. Yet, there are alternatives, but if you can't adapt that's the users issue & not the software. (Considering people like to get stuck in workflows). Basically the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair. That is not intended to be snarky, but true in any case be it switching from any OS. Someone can cry over that all day, but really doesn't matter in such an argument. (In other words, feelings and being stuck in ones ways, doesn't make anything better or worse).

Edit: I'm not suggesting anyone change just because either. Use what you want, but don't pull the, "Oh well it's harder" crap. Because, that is just silly. Also, all OS's have problems. If you can't see them, you're just dealing with them & not really focusing on them as you got use to it. That's a silly stance as well to take.
This is the exact response I expected. Every discussion I've ever had with a Linux fan pulls the "it's not harder to use" when that's not even really my point.

Agree to disagree.

UnholyVision

This is the exact response I expected. Every discussion I've ever had with a Linux fan pulls the "it's not harder to use" when that's not even really my point.
Okay then what did you mean? Because you clearly didn't convey it well if you weren't trying to make it sound like it's harder. I'm open for discussion, but you clearly holding some grudge here, towards someone else. Taking it out on me with that canned, "I expected you to say that" isn't explaining your stance. It's just making you seem passive aggressive to me. At least how that reads and how you're quick to just shut it down with no true conversation.

Us? Sure we can deal with Linux, and you even prefer it, but generally speaking it's not the best advice for anyone except a tech user.
I mean, when you say stuff like this. Saying Linux is more of a needing to be a Tech user to use. Then how is one to read that?

OmniDyne

Think I'm going to upgrade to 8g. Brought Facebook up on a tab and its in the mid 80's easily. Wouldn't mind 2 more Gigs at the prices they are. Let me know what you guys think about this RAM for my laptop, 1600MHz, or should I just stick to 1333? https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-CMSX...4168&sr=8-7&keywords=laptop+ram+ddr3+8gb+1600

No way. It's definitely not worth it. DDR3 is legacy at this point, so spending $60 on a laptop you're going to be throwing away in a year would be a waste of money, time, and hardware. We're encroaching upon DDR5.

You don't need more RAM. A cheap $20 or $25 SSD would totally revamp the computer.

beers

Staff member
If you're dead set on upgrading, try buying one 8GB stick and pair it with your 4GB stick. You'll spend about the same amount but end up with 12G instead of 8G.

There are a couple 1600 1x8G sticks on Newegg for about $40 and can run at the lower speed when mixed.

I have a spare 4g stick laying around, you can have it for the cost of postage if you want. Hynix 1333

Last edited:

Darren

Staff member
If you're dead set on upgrading, try buying one 8GB stick and pair it with your 4GB stick. You'll spend about the same amount but end up with 12G instead of 8G.

There are a couple 1600 1x8G sticks on Newegg for about $40 and can run at the lower speed when mixed.

I have a spare 4g stick laying around, you can have it for the cost of postage if you want. Hynix 1333
Supposedly the board only supports 8GB but might still work.

Even if you do want to upgrade, 2x4GB is pointless. You already have a 4GB, just need one more not two.