Will this work? help with first time computer build

Benny Boy

Am I missing something?

The build seems out of balance to me.

The GPU and PSU point towards Crossfire, yet the motherboard runs at x16/x4.

Rather see a smaller drive for the os/programs.

For an AMD 1k build, should be able to have 6950 + SSD without really giving up anything.

Knunez

benny boy, thank you for pointing that out can you plz help me with that?

what should I look for in a mobo If I plan to crossfire (and overclock if that matters) in the future.

and what do you mean by a smaller drive?

thanks so much I really need help before I buy my parts to make sure it all works together

thank you

Knunez

Am I missing something?

The build seems out of balance to me.

The GPU and PSU point towards Crossfire, yet the motherboard runs at x16/x4.

Rather see a smaller drive for the os/programs.

For an AMD 1k build, should be able to have 6950 + SSD without really giving up anything.

please dont let this thread die!!!! lol

so what is the problem with the mobo??

jonnyp11

the mobo if you get a second gpu will have the second at a very slow bandwidth, in other words, for every 16mb's info the first recieves, the second only gets like 4, probably not exactly like that but you get my point, it won't be able to do its job at those speeds.

Knunez

Than what should I look for in a mobo?

oh and benny, or anyone else that an answer my question.

Do you mean I should get a smaller second HDD for my OS and Programs?

Benny Boy

Looks like the above build is a bit over $1,000.

The one below has a case combo and maybe you don't like the case. No biggy.

There's $35 off before checkout using promo's that end this Tues @ 23:59, on 7 x64 Home Premium and the RAM. There's another $55 in rebates, so hopefully you can do that.

A good CF or SLI mb will run 2 or more PCIE slots at x16 lanes each or x8 lanes each. X16 for each slot is best, but x8/x8 isn't bad either.
This one has 4 PCIE slots and will run 2 of them @ x16/x16.
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Your cpu/6950 2gb/ and ps.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX + case

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE ...

2x4GB 1600 @CL8
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

I meant I'd rather have 2 or more drives vs 1 for c:\ +everythingelse.
boot/frequent large prog's.
OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

infrequent and small prog's/data.
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

solid performer and quiet.
SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Need eblast promo to make this $80 ^.

Out the door for $1,055.54
$1,000.54 after rebates.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Than what should I look for in a mobo?

oh and benny, or anyone else that an answer my question.

Do you mean I should get a smaller second HDD for my OS and Programs?

i believe he means smaller ssd for os and a few programs/game, ssd's are much faster than hdd's, which with how fast todays cpu's are, the thing holding your system back is actually the speed or lack of it in the hdd.

Knunez

Looks like the above build is a bit over $1,000.

The one below has a case combo and maybe you don't like the case. No biggy.

There's $35 off before checkout using promo's that end this Tues @ 23:59, on 7 x64 Home Premium and the RAM. There's another $55 in rebates, so hopefully you can do that.

A good CF or SLI mb will run 2 or more PCIE slots at x16 lanes each or x8 lanes each. X16 for each slot is best, but x8/x8 isn't bad either.
This one has 4 PCIE slots and will run 2 of them @ x16/x16.
GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Your cpu/6950 2gb/ and ps.
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor HDZ965FBGMBOX + case

SAPPHIRE 100312-3SR Radeon HD 6950 Dirt3 Edition 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video ...

Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-750 750W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS BRONZE ...

2x4GB 1600 @CL8
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-8GBXM

I meant I'd rather have 2 or more drives vs 1 for c:\ +everythingelse.
boot/frequent large prog's.
OCZ Vertex 3 VTX3-25SAT3-60G 2.5" 60GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

infrequent and small prog's/data.
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

solid performer and quiet.
SAMSUNG CD/DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-222AB - OEM

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
Need eblast promo to make this $80 ^.

Out the door for $1,055.54
$1,000.54 after rebates.

So what I should do is replace my current HDD for the SSD for OS and a few games/programs

and use the HDD you recommended for the other programs/games

but wouldn't adding the SSD increase the price by about 100$ or more?

p.s THX ALOT YOU GUYS

Benny Boy

So what I should do is replace my current HDD for the SSD for OS and a few games/programs

and use the HDD you recommended for the other programs/games

but wouldn't adding the SSD increase the price by about 100$ or more?

p.s THX ALOT YOU GUYS

You should do what you want to do regarding getting a SSD or not. It's a worthy investment. Games will only load faster if on it. Won't get more fps. So unless it's a favorite that's going to pretty much stay on there for a long time, most put big games on the HDD so they don't use/fill up their SSD. A SSD is quite the improvment to system resposiveness. The F3 is a fast HDD. I wouldn't recommend using the 5900 drive for these purposes.

Knunez

Thx guys

so after all this fixing Everything should work fine right?

I just can't say thank you enough guys the helo here is awesome

Benny Boy

Yes, it will work great! If you want to save some $, you could upgrade to the ssd later and just use the HDD. It will still be great. And if you hold off on the ssd, you could also save a bit more by going with 2x2gb memory instead of 8.
for what reason
Generlly the green/blue/5900rpm drives are slower than F3/WD Black/Seagate 7200.12
They're ok if you need a lot of storage, but for the os and programs, the F3 is better.

Last edited:

jonnyp11

Yes, and even while gaming most people never max out 4gb's of ram, but if you do i'd recommend upgrading it to either a higher mhz or a lower cas latency, if not both.

Knunez

also would this mobo and CPU work fine with a nVidia GPU

im considering the gtx 560 ti as it is around a similar price point but seems to preform better

thoughts?

Knunez

also would this mobo and CPU work fine with a nVidia GPU

im considering the gtx 560 ti as it is around a similar price point but seems to preform better

thoughts?

also will my CPU and PSU be able to handle it?

jonnyp11

for the 2x2 not 8, he posted another list on the last page, and what is your current list so i can say, but as long as it's any pcie (1.0/2.0/2.1/3.0) x16, and for some of you, look on newegg, there are 1 or 2 3.0's so don't start saying crap bout that, and if it's a good quality 500waatt or higher then you're fine for that too.

Knunez

for the 2x2 not 8, he posted another list on the last page, and what is your current list so i can say, but as long as it's any pcie (1.0/2.0/2.1/3.0) x16, and for some of you, look on newegg, there are 1 or 2 3.0's so don't start saying crap bout that, and if it's a good quality 500waatt or higher then you're fine for that too.
'
my current list is in the OP everything is updated so you can check it and I'm still thinking about getting an SSD