windos xp pc alternative

Brenna

I might be buying a computer overseas (north africa) and i was thinking of using something other than the horrors of microsoft. I've heard of linux and apple. what would you guys recommend?

patrickv

i suggest when you buy your Pc, (it will be windows unless you ask something of a different OS from the stores) download a copy of Ubuntu and install it. The most easiest distro you could go with for now

cheers

Brenna

re: windows xp pc alternative

What was negative about your experience with Microsoft?

everything on windox xp home is complete bloatware, and certain components that are "unnecessary" won't allow you to delete. Not a lot of freedom. i've had problems in the past of burning cds and then when i put the cd back in only the items I recently burned are on the cd. it give me problems my apple never gave me. I honestly hate microsoft. and then microsft office - it came outdated adn it costs hundreds of dolllars to update or to buy. no, i'd rather not deal with it at all.

mac550

everything on windox xp home is complete bloatware, and certain components that are "unnecessary" won't allow you to delete. Not a lot of freedom. i've had problems in the past of burning cds and then when i put the cd back in only the items I recently burned are on the cd. it give me problems my apple never gave me. I honestly hate microsoft. and then microsft office - it came outdated adn it costs hundreds of dolllars to update or to buy. no, i'd rather not deal with it at all.

although Ubuntu is a good OS, some programs wont work with it because it linux, quite alot of apps are writen for linux, you need to download the right file. you will need to do a small bit of programming but most of what you need can be found online.

patrickv

some programs wont work with it because it linux, quite alot of apps are writen for linux, you need to download the right file.
This is handled by synaptics he does not even have to worry instead, know the software.It even gives explanation

you will need to do a small bit of programming but most of what you need can be found online.
No not at all, i've seen people that knows sh*t but still find their way around ubuntu. He will have to learn terminal commands though as they will be useful.

Intel_man

VIP Member

This is why you go and buy Windows XP PROFESSIONAL.

tlarkin

VIP Member
although Ubuntu is a good OS, some programs wont work with it because it linux, quite alot of apps are writen for linux, you need to download the right file. you will need to do a small bit of programming but most of what you need can be found online.

That is why Ubuntu and other Debian based Linux Distros use the magically awesome package manager APT. It will download and install all prerequisite softwares for whatever package you are trying to install. The only problem is, not all the repositories are up to date, so some stuff you do have to install manually.

tlarkin

VIP Member
What? There are few differences between Home and Professional.

Correct the only differences are, Pro has built in remote desktop support, and the ability to connect to a domain level network (ie it can be bound to an AD server) and I think a few command line applications are more robust on Pro. However, I am sure you can install the CLI apps as an extra install on Home.

Otherwise they are pretty much the same OS.

mac550

No not at all, i've seen people that knows sh*t but still find their way around ubuntu. He will have to learn terminal commands though as they will be useful.
that's my point, from the stuff i have done with Ubuntu some terminal commands can be a few lines long, and typing in commands like that is programming.

That is why Ubuntu and other Debian based Linux Distros use the magically awesome package manager APT. It will download and install all prerequisite softwares for whatever package you are trying to install. The only problem is, not all the repositories are up to date, so some stuff you do have to install manually.

thats the thing i dont get about linux, why do you have to manually install stuff, all apps should have a file (like a .exe) the you click and it install itself.

If you want to run windows apps on linux you need WINE.

yeah but can you run games like crysis though WINE, i doubt it

tlarkin

VIP Member
that's my point, from the stuff i have done with Ubuntu some terminal commands can be a few lines long, and typing in commands like that is programming.

thats the thing i dont get about linux, why do you have to manually install stuff, all apps should have a file (like a .exe) the you click and it install itself.

yeah but can you run games like crysis though WINE, i doubt it

Just because you can run a video game on an OS does not make it the greatest, there are also GUI based package managers that you can just double click and install in linux. The only difference is you can also do almost everything from the command line in Linux where as in Windows you can't.

Redhat based distros use .rpm files as installers
debian based use .debs

There are plenty of gui based package installers. The problem is most likely you did not take the time to fully learn it. I would say it easily takes a year of day to day use to learn any platform, even windows. You have been using windows for such a long time now though you probably lost sight of that.

`PaWz

banned
The fact that Linux is far superior to WIndows in terms of security and stability makes me think the higher learning curve for Linux is more than worth it.

And the learning curve for Ubuntu is not that bad at all, IMO, especially since most of the things you'll use can be installed via the Package Manager. And installing via konsole requires minimal knowledge.

TrainTrackHack

VIP Member
What? There are few differences between Home and Professional.
Correct the only differences are, Pro has built in remote desktop support, and the ability to connect to a domain level network (ie it can be bound to an AD server) and I think a few command line applications are more robust on Pro. However, I am sure you can install the CLI apps as an extra install on Home.

Otherwise they are pretty much the same OS.
WTHBBQ????? LOL!
Firstly, some things in System Properties are arranged slightly differently (I know this; went from Home to Pro). Also, even the bar that slides across during the startup is different - in XP Home it's green, in XP Pro it's blue. Not to mention it says "Professional" (cool) rather than "Home edition" (lame).

There's a world of difference between those two OSs... next time, get your facts right

:p