Windows 7 failed to start error message

caboose73

So every time i try and turn on my computer i get an error screen saying "Windows 7 failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause " then it asks me to Launch startup repair (recommended) or start windows normally.

Ive tried both steps a few times and nothing works when i launch startup repair some times it freezes while loading files other times it completes the repair and restarts and ends up in the same error window i just had. If i launch windows normally it freezes before i get to the log in screen.

I dont know alot about computers so is there anything i can do to fix this with the help of the forum or is it something real serious were i should bring it to a place to get fixed?

gamblingman

VIP Member
While trying to start the computer keep pressing the F8 key. This will (should!) give you the option to start in safe mode. Try to go into "safe mode with networking".

If that will not boot into safe mode, then turn off the computer and restart and do the same of pressing the F8 key while it is turning on. This time select "Last known good configuration".

Let us know if either works. If either work and result in the computer going to the desktop do not turn the computer off just post and say so. If pressing the F8 key while the computer is starting doesn't offer any of the prompts tell us.

So we know, do you have the operating system disks that are used for installing the operating system? And tell us what kind of computer it is and how old it is, have you dropped it or spilled anything on it, if it is under warranty, and any changes you have made lately like: driver updates/operating system updates/or new software you have installed?

Also before this problem happened where you having any problems with the computer? Like blue screen errors, or operating system messages saying that you need to run check-disk.

caboose73

Yes i have the operating disks. I havnt dropped or spilled anything on the computer i was on it yesterday and it worked ok but it was running a little slow then i tried going on today and all i get is the error screen. The computer is:
CASE- ANTEC|THREE HUNDRED ILLUSION
MB- MSI P55-GD55 P55 1156
CPU- INTEL|CORE I5 750 2.66G
PSU- ANTEC|EA750 750W
VIDEO CARD- Radeon HD 5770
MEM- 2Gx2 | MUSHKIN 996782
DVD Burner- LITE-ON | IHAS-324-98
CPU COOLER - PROLIMA| MEGAHALEMS REV
WINDOWS 7 64 BIT
Its about 7 months old the last thing i installed was an update for windows 7 a day or 2 ago and sins of a solar empire about a month ago. Pressing F8 works but when i tried safe mode with networking it froze while loading. Then i tried the last know good configuration and it started to load windows then went in to a black screen.

Last edited:

gamblingman

VIP Member
  1. Put the OS disk in that has the repair tools on it.
  2. When restarting the computer select to start from the DVD.
  3. Select language, region, etc... to next.
  4. Repair your computer.
  5. Select your Win7 installation.
  6. Select Command Prompt.
  7. The Command Prompt black box will appear, put the following, spaces and all!

chkdsk C: /r

Note: If you don't use the C drive as your location of the installed OS, then change the letter C to where ever you have the OS installed.
  8. Watch the check disk operation, yes it moves slowly(!) but keep an eye on it to catch if it finds major problems with the hard drive. If it finds problems jot them down as best you can and let us know what they said.
  9. After that test, type "EXIT" and press Enter to restart the computer, remove the DVD quickly after leaving the repair menu! See if it will boot into safe mode with networking.

If this does not work dont freak, there is more we can do.

Note for Step 2: If you do not get the option to boot from the DVD. Boot the computer and go to BIOS boot options. You can access this by pressing the Delete or Del key while booting. If the Del key doesn't work, try these other keys in order of trial/error: F2, F1, F10, F8. An option for boot/bios options should show at the top of the screen during the computer POST process. Access this menu and set the computer to boot from the DVD disk drive before HDD.

NOTE! Check-disk can take hours to run! On my computer it takes about 4 hours give or take an hour! Run it when you have the time to keep an eye on it. You need to be around so you can watch it from time to time and see if it reports problems.

Last edited:

caboose73

Ok i did it the step 2 way and it started the repairs and the status bar was moving like it was loading then just stoped now its been at
screenshot.jpg
that position for about 20mins now not moving at all is this normal?

gamblingman

VIP Member
having johnb35 come in on this one. I'm not at home and the mouse I was using JUST broke, it wont left click anymore! You can trust Johnb35, just follow what he says to the letter.

gamblingman

VIP Member
Ok luckily found another mouse that worked, hurray!
No thats not normal.

Did you follow the instructions to run checkdisk yet?

Okedokey

No that is not normal. Disconnect everyting except the windows hdd, 1 stick of ram and your mouse, keyboard etc. Try again.

caboose73

Ok luckily found another mouse that worked, hurray!
No thats not normal.

Did you follow the instructions to run checkdisk yet?

I followed the instructions to this point
# Select your Win7 installation.
# Select Command Prompt.
# The Command Prompt black box will appear, put the following, spaces and all!

chkdsk C: /r

i didnt see were to select win7 installation all i had was repair,restore point or load drivers. I did run the auto fix again from the cd and it seems to be working this time and not freezing.

Last edited:

caboose73

well it ran this time and this is what came up:"start up repair cannot repair this computer automatically" and the problems are:
PROBLEM EVENT NAME: STARTUP REPAIR OFFLINE
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 1: 6.1.7600.16385
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 2: 6.1.7600.16385
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 3: UNKNOWN
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 4: 21200642
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 5: AUTOFAILOVER
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 6: 2
PROBLEM SIGNATURE 7: NOROOTCAUASE
OS VERSION: 6.1.

Ok the chkdsk finally completed this is what i got
dskchkscreenshot.jpg

So is there anything else i should do?

Last edited:

gamblingman

VIP Member
We're going to try and fix your boot problem now. I wanted you to run check-disk earlier because I wanted to make sure your hard drive wasn't damaged or holding a corrupt file system.

If you have any other hard drives, usb's than the primary hard drive that the OS installed on, remove them from the computer, Leave the hard drive that contains the operating system connected.

Again go through the DVD diagnostic.

1. Put the OS disk in that has the repair tools on it.
  2. When restarting the computer select to start from the DVD.
  3. Select language, region, etc... to next.
  4. Repair your computer.
  5. Select your Win7 installation.
  6. Select Command Prompt.
  7. The Command Prompt black box will appear, put the following (the red text) exactly, spaces and all!

NOTE! After each command entry you type in press the ENTER/RETURN key.

1. Bootrec.exe (After pressing enter it will list some commands, just keep going)
    2. bcdedit /export C:\BCD_Backup
    3. c:
    4. cd boot
    5. attrib bcd -s -h -r
    6. ren c:\boot\bcd bcd.old
    7. bootrec /RebuildBcd
    8. After this it will ask you which boot installation to fix, use the correct number entry to select your OS boot location.
      [*]When it asks if you want to add to boot list press
      Y

8. After that test, type "EXIT" and press Enter to restart the computer, remove the DVD quickly after leaving the repair menu! See if it will boot into safe mode with networking.

Last edited:

gamblingman

VIP Member
Yeah definitely try starting up normally, sorry didnt mention it. Post if you show any errors, and if you get to desktop there is more I'd like to have you do. But lets make sure it will start up correctly first. Thank god it will at least go into safe mode eh!

Last edited:

caboose73

Yeah definitely try starting up normally, sorry didnt mention it. Post if you show any errors, and if you get to desktop there is more I'd like to have you do. But lets make sure it will start up correctly first. Thank god it will at least go into safe mode eh!

The 1st time i tried rebooting from safe mode it showed this error screen again
Errorscreenshot.jpg

So i clicked start normally and it works now ive tried it twice and it loads up without any error messages but its a lot slower loading then it was before all this started happening.

gamblingman

VIP Member
I want you to check the computer for infection. Also the HiJackThis log will show if you have unnecessary things running. Please, don't do anything else on the computer while working with these programs. Proceed through these instructions and perform all the below steps in the order listed, and do all in normal boot mode NOT safe mode. If you cannot boot normally and all you can boot into is safe mode, tell me.

Also, Do not restart your computer unless someone from here or the program Malwarebytes informs you that its necessary to restart. If you cannot get any files to download from the links we have provided, then stop what you are doing and tell us.

Please download Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware HERE or HERE and save it to your desktop.

• Double-click mbam-setup.exe and follow the prompts to install the program.
  • At the end, be sure a checkmark is placed next to
    o Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    o and Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version. Please keep updating until it says you have the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Perform quick scan, then click Scan.
  • When the scan is complete, click OK, then Show Results to view the results.
  • Be sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • A log will be saved automatically which you can access by clicking on the Logs tab within Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -
NOTE!
If for some reason Malwarebytes will not install or run please download these files: Rkill.scr, Rkill.exe, or Rkill.com.

First, run the .SCR file by clicking it. If a black window opens then closes (or you get a message from the infection that RKill is infected) run the file again, do this until it generates a log of processes stopped. If .SCR will not run at all, try the .EXE, if the .EXE wont work then use the .COM until one of them gives you a log. If none will run and produce a log then stop and tell us immediately. Then work to install or run Malwarebytes.

DO NOT reboot immediately after running RKill because doing so will deactivate RKill and you will have to run it again. Just run RKill then malwarebytes, then HijackThis.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now, generate a HijackThis log.

Download the HijackThis installer from HERE.

Run the installer and choose Install, indicating that you accept the licence agreement. The installer will place a shortcut on your desktop and launch HijackThis.

Click Do a system scan and save a logfile

Most of what HijackThis lists will be harmless or even essential, don't fix anything yet.

Post the logfile that HijackThis produces along with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log.

caboose73

This is the malebytes log
malbytesscreenshot.jpg

How do i attach the hijackthis log cause i tried going to attachments and uploading it but it says its an invalid file and wont let me upload it to the site also while i was in the middle of writing this my computer just rebooted its self and went to the error message screen i posted at 3:01 and clicked start normally and it booted right up.