Windows 7 - finding large files

djchapple

I have a laptop running Windows 7 and I have my 240 GB HD set up with two partitions (C: and D:). I have also set up some backup software to backup both C: and D: to an external HD (F:).

However it would appear that the software is trying to backup drive C: to drive D:, instead of to drive F: and drive D: is now full.

I have had great difficulty finding where the backup file is stored on drive D: and my question is as below:

How can I find all large files stored on a hard drive?

I have tried simply looking through all the directories and after deleting many unused file I managed to delete the culprit but in many cases Windows explorer did not give the size of some of the files with weird file names.

maceman

Our software jv16 has a very good finding tools.
You can search by size.
Trial (full version) for 60 days is free :D

djchapple

What sort of backup software are you using?

Are you sure you configured it correctly?

Acronis on-click backup.

No I did not configure it correctly but this has been corrected and so this particular problem will not arise again.

However I am still interested in being able to find the largest files on a disc so that I can see if some more space can be liberated.

Pikachuwee

Well this software doesn't search for big files but it does tell you where the most of your space goes.

http://download.cnet.com/WinDirStat/3000-2248_4-10614593.html

114794_large.jpeg

Freeware.