Windows 7 May

speedyink

VIP Member
Eggh, I don't like the dock. I much prefer the new taskbar to any dock.

It's nothing like that. It's basically a revised edition of Vista, but it's lighter
than anything. You can run it on Netbooks with 1.6Ghz Atom CPU's if that
tells you anything.

+1, works awesome on my 900HA, even in power saving mode (which clocks the cpu to a max of 1.2ghz).

For those who are going from the public beta to the RC are gonna be in for a nice surprise. A lot has changed since build 7000. It feels much more complete now, with some new icons, new much needed options, and a ton of default wallpapers and sound schemes. Not to mention the performance increase.

Last edited:

jashsayani

do beta versions if windows 7 update?

Yes. There are newer build releases in Beta. But you have to manually get them and upgrade. Theres no Automatic Updates.

Win 7 Beta that M$ released at PDC was 6801, then the Public beta was Build 7000, the current build is 7068.

And Build 7100 is Coming Soon (Via Download Squad.com)

tlarkin

VIP Member
I thought end of 2009 is when 7 is going to be released....

Guess they are trying to compete with Snow Leopard? I would rather wait the 7 more months to have it better at release...

Also, I hate the task bar and the start menu. Stacks + dock + keyboard short cuts FTW. Much more efficient.

Droogie

Win 7 could be released today and it would be fine.

It's a great OS.

it seems pretty sweet, can't wait to get my hands on it. it's sweet that virtually everything compatible with xp will also be comaptible with 7.

Last edited:

tlarkin

VIP Member
Win 7 could be released today and it would be fine.

It's a great OS.

Never in my entire life of using MS Operating systems, has one been perfect at release or near perfect after three or four service packs.

I hope they offer a cheap upgrade for those that have Vista because really there is nothing new under the hood in Win 7, it it just an overhaul of the GUI and some minor tweaking to make things more smooth. I have yet to see anything that indicates a major kernel overhaul or anything else that would exponentially increase performance.

I had the beta in a VM and it really just seemed like Vista 2.0 to me. I do think that memory management may be slightly better, but that is subjective.

Bodaggit23

Some people are more particular than
others and you just can't please some.

To me its the best yet but I'm not that picky.
If it does what I need it to do then I'm happy.

My 1.6Ghz laptop with 512RAM was a turd with
Vista on it. Windows 7 woke it right up.

I don't think VM is a good way to form an opinion
about it either way is it? True its much like Vista
Except lighter and faster. What's wrong with that?

tlarkin

VIP Member
Some people are more particular than
others and you just can't please some.

To me its the best yet but I'm not that picky.
If it does what I need it to do then I'm happy.

My 1.6Ghz laptop with 512RAM was a turd with
Vista on it. Windows 7 woke it right up.

I don't think VM is a good way to form an opinion
about it either way is it? True its much like Vista
Except lighter and faster. What's wrong with that?

Why is that, it is not like I was gaming or 3D rendering in it, a VM is a very viable solution for testing. I was looking at new features, and don't ever run a beta OS as my main OS and I only have one PC at the moment that can run such things. My other PC is a HTPC running Linux which 1TB of media on it, no way was I taking that thing down to look at a beta OS. My main PC is for gaming mostly and some minor things and everything else I do on my Macs.

A VM is a great way and very valid on top of that to test an OS. VM technology is so good now there is virtually no overhead for basic usage. I mean there are enterprise deployments that run virtual desktop workstations and many virtual servers, if VM software wasn't viable why would they use it?

The only thing I may give you is that free open source VM software may not perform as nice as say the pay for kind, but I am running VMware fusion here.

This reminds me of when I lost all respect for Maximum PC magazine. They gave Windows XP a perfect 10 score and said it was flawless. I agreed with them that XP was, and still is the best released OS they have released so far, however no OS, and I mean no OS deserves a perfect 10 out of the box. I fired up XP (all my jobs have always had MSDN subscription site licenses, so that means I get whatever I want for free, and I get early beta versions not available to the public) when I first got the release version and immediately found like over 15 bugs with it, then I thought of that Maximum PC article. Then I thought what a crock of crap, and stopped buying their magazine. Though, they first went downhill when they got bought out, their original zine was called "Boot Magazine," and it was some of the best written tech articles I had ever read. Now they are commercialized and just one giant advertisement.

I am in no hurry to give MS $150 for an upgrade that will be buggy, and lack features I want. I mean they still have multiple versions which is retarded, and they still have 32/64 separate versions as well. No other OS does that crap but them.

bomberboysk

Why is that, it is not like I was gaming or 3D rendering in it, a VM is a very viable solution for testing. I was looking at new features, and don't ever run a beta OS as my main OS and I only have one PC at the moment that can run such things. My other PC is a HTPC running Linux which 1TB of media on it, no way was I taking that thing down to look at a beta OS. My main PC is for gaming mostly and some minor things and everything else I do on my Macs.

A VM is a great way and very valid on top of that to test an OS. VM technology is so good now there is virtually no overhead for basic usage. I mean there are enterprise deployments that run virtual desktop workstations and many virtual servers, if VM software wasn't viable why would they use it?

The only thing I may give you is that free open source VM software may not perform as nice as say the pay for kind, but I am running VMware fusion here.

This reminds me of when I lost all respect for Maximum PC magazine. They gave Windows XP a perfect 10 score and said it was flawless. I agreed with them that XP was, and still is the best released OS they have released so far, however no OS, and I mean no OS deserves a perfect 10 out of the box. I fired up XP (all my jobs have always had MSDN subscription site licenses, so that means I get whatever I want for free, and I get early beta versions not available to the public) when I first got the release version and immediately found like over 15 bugs with it, then I thought of that Maximum PC article. Then I thought what a crock of crap, and stopped buying their magazine. Though, they first went downhill when they got bought out, their original zine was called "Boot Magazine," and it was some of the best written tech articles I had ever read. Now they are commercialized and just one giant advertisement.

I am in no hurry to give MS $150 for an upgrade that will be buggy, and lack features I want. I mean they still have multiple versions which is retarded, and they still have 32/64 separate versions as well. No other OS does that crap but them.

Buy retail if you want 32 and 64bit, only the OEM editions come with seperate versions/serials for 32 and 64bit. Albeit only ultimate comes with the 64bit discs in the box, with home basic, home premium, and business you have to pay $10 or so to get the 64bit discs.

tlarkin

VIP Member
Buy retail if you want 32 and 64bit, only the OEM editions come with seperate versions/serials for 32 and 64bit. Albeit only ultimate comes with the 64bit discs in the box, with home basic, home premium, and business you have to pay $10 or so to get the 64bit discs.

Why would anyone buy a retail version of an OS?

Also, every other OS in existence puts both the 32bit and the 64bit library files in the OS, so when it installs it detects what is going on and loads the proper libraries. Some, Linux distros, to keep them more slim, don't always include both libraries, but others do. Unix and OS X of course also do as well as solaris.

bomberboysk

Why would anyone buy a retail version of an OS?

Also, every other OS in existence puts both the 32bit and the 64bit library files in the OS, so when it installs it detects what is going on and loads the proper libraries. Some, Linux distros, to keep them more slim, don't always include both libraries, but others do. Unix and OS X of course also do as well as solaris.

I always buy retail as vista oem is essentially tied to the motherboard you orignally have, and i upgrade my motherboard every couple years, although i will probably end up buying windows 7 anyhow....

tlarkin

VIP Member
I always buy retail as vista oem is essentially tied to the motherboard you orignally have, and i upgrade my motherboard every couple years, although i will probably end up buying windows 7 anyhow....

Yeah just buy bundle deals and OEM is not always tied to the motherboard, you can bundle OEM with a keyboard if you want. I used to work for a certified MS reseller and System's builder years ago. I did plenty of OEM preinstalls in my time and I knew the license agreements. OEM is tied to a machine if you buy it in conjunction with a new computer.

bomberboysk

Yeah just buy bundle deals and OEM is not always tied to the motherboard, you can bundle OEM with a keyboard if you want. I used to work for a certified MS reseller and System's builder years ago. I did plenty of OEM preinstalls in my time and I knew the license agreements. OEM is tied to a machine if you buy it in conjunction with a new computer.

Nah, thats not what im saying, what im saying is windows activation tyes it to the motherboard, and its a pita to get it to activate once you change motherboards. Plus vista oem doesnt require you to purchase any other parts to be able to get it afaik. Windows XP required you to purchase some kind of hardware but vista does not;)

tlarkin

VIP Member
Nah, thats not what im saying, what im saying is windows activation tyes it to the motherboard, and its a pita to get it to activate once you change motherboards. Plus vista oem doesnt require you to purchase any other parts to be able to get it afaik. Windows XP required you to purchase some kind of hardware but vista does not;)

OEM has always required the sale of something, and the activation doesn't tie itself to the motherboard, it ties itself to a hash code generated by an algorithm that parses your hardware configuration, so any major change (NIC, motherboard, processor, etc) will trigger that DRM crap. Which is why I disable it on every Windows machine I ever have.

I used to sell OEM software with a case fan, for $3.99 at one of my old jobs.

Bodaggit23

I was looking at new features, and don't ever run a beta OS as my main OS and I only have one PC at the moment that can run such things. My other PC is a HTPC running Linux which 1TB of media on it, no way was I taking that thing down to look at a beta OS. My main PC is for gaming mostly and some minor things and everything else I do on my Macs.
Who said anything about using it as your main OS? Or tearing down a server
to try it? Ever heard of a partition? :p

I guess I don't know the particular VM program you have, but does it allow you to use 100% of your CPU and RAM to fully test the OS?

I'm just saying, don't be so quick to bash it before you really try it.

Sounds like your mind was made up before they even announced it.