Windows 7 on Atom N280

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Just a thought. Windows XP runs quite well on my little Netbook, but I've considered giving Windows 7 a try. I know on my Dell it runs pretty smooth. Plus I really like how quickly it resumes from suspend/hibernation. I figured with most of Aero disabled performance should be pretty good. Guess I'm curious if anyone's tried it. I googled some but really can't find anyone who tried it on their Atom's.

aviation_man

Hmm. I've seen Windows 7 Starter on a Netbook with the N270 online, at Newegg or Tigerdirect... But I'm not sure if that's like a 'demo' version or what..
The minimum specs for Windows 7 is 1.0Ghz.. So I guess it'd be ok.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hmm... Any real noticeable difference in performance or battery life?

One thing I really liked about Windows 7 on my Dell is the time it takes to resume. This includes from hibernation and then reconnecting to the network. I could probably do a full reboot and reconnect to the network as fast as my netbook reconnects from standby :p I also typically run in "Power Saving" mode to help with battery life and heat.

Hmm... Maybe sometime soon I'll image the computer then give it a shot

The_Other_One

VIP Member
Hmm... So far it seems to be doing alright, but the fan is simply too active for my liking. I'll play around with it for a little while, but I do think it's a bit too much for the 'lil Atom CPU.

The_Other_One

VIP Member
All in all it seemed to run pretty well, but the fan was running all the time. It bugs me that it runs any with XP, but in W7 it would kick up to max speed at times. This was even set to Power Saving mode, too. However, I will agree that it works quite well. If it were for an Atom-based desktop or something, I'd say go for it.

And Bodaggit23, it most certainly will. If I hadn't gotten so fed up with the fan last night, I would have gotten a video for you :p

Bodaggit23

Very nice.

I got one for my oldest daughter for Christmas last year and she loves it.

I almost got one for myself, but my eyes are way too bad for that little guy.
She got the original 8.9 screen.

kc-atl

yea, i paid 199 for this at office depot on clearance. i have been running 7 for a week, no issues, of course i did a clean install using the upgrade disc. Also todate since W7 install i have not installed the first driver...