Windows 7 Recycle Bin: How do you see total size?

JohnJSal

Am I missing something here? I can't figure out how to see the total space the Recycle Bin is using. It used to be in the status bar, didn't it? But now the status bar just shows the number of files.

Thanks.

linkin

VIP Member
I think you need to go into the bin, hold the right mosue button and select all the files, release the button and then click on properties. it should start adding up the file sizes. i never use the recycle bin anyway, i just use shift+delete.

G25r8cer

^^ To my knowledge this is the only way. Unfortunately there is no "properties" for the recycle bin that shows the space. There is but, it just lets you change the Max size.

If anyone knows another way, please enlighten me and others

Bodaggit23

No need to yell...!

It's simple really.

The size of the files in the Recycle Bin is less than the max allowed in the Recycle Bin Properties.

Besides, all you have to do is navigate to the Recycle Bin through Windows Explorer and highlight
all the files in the bin. Total file size shows up at the bottom.

RecycleBin.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJSal

No need to yell...!

It's simple really.

The size of the files in the Recycle Bin is less than the max allowed in the Recycle Bin Properties.

Besides, all you have to do is navigate to the Recycle Bin through Windows Explorer and highlight
all the files in the bin. Total file size shows up at the bottom.

That's......less than ideal.

JohnJSal

We know that!

There should be a more simple way. Such as when going to properties on any other mass folder.

Yeah, we don't deny that your method works, but 1) seeing that the Recycle Bin holds less than the maximum that it can hold and 2) having to navigate into Windows Explorer to get to what is already a desktop icon, are not good solutions for something so simple (and that was already a feature of previous Windows versions).

JohnJSal

I should add that going to the Recycle Bin and selecting all the files does show the size at the bottom, but this ceases to work once you have more than a few files selected. Once you have several files selected, you get a "See more details" link in the status bar, but clicking on that does not display the total file size. Frustrating....

Bodaggit23

Once you have several files selected, you get a "See more details" link in the status bar, but clicking on that does not display the total file size. Frustrating....

Really? I do...

Besides, I suggested navigating to the Recycle Bin using Windows Explorer because I have
no icons on my desktop.

Just double click on it from your desktop...

Maybe you don't have your window maximized, like the details are hiding below the taksbar?

RecycleBin-1.jpg

Last edited:

JohnJSal

Weird. I just tried it again and resizing didn't help. What's really strange is that I had 25 files selected and it *did* show the total size, but when I added one more, it didn't! :(

G25r8cer

Weird. I just tried it again and resizing didn't help. What's really strange is that I had 25 files selected and it *did* show the total size, but when I added one more, it didn't! :(

It has to be "Refreshed". There should still be an even more simple way.

linkin

VIP Member
It matters how much disk space is being used, so yes. As i said before i just use shift+delete to delete anything.