Windows 8.1, Start Menu return

The start button doesnt do anything new though, it just shows the area to click to open the metro if I am right.

So if that is true, it would just be easier to put a post-it note with M$ logo on it, where the area to activate the metro screen is...right?

speedyink

VIP Member
What I'd really like to see in 8.1 too is an easier way of shutting down. Since when was shutting down your computer a setting? That's one thing I really didn't like about 8.

I made this WAAAAY easier by putting this shortcut on my start screen. It's on the lowest leftmost tile to simulate the same sort of mouse movement I got used to for shutting down my PC.

derp.jpg

I made this WAAAAY easier by putting this shortcut on my start screen. It's on the lowest leftmost tile to simulate the same sort of mouse movement I got used to for shutting down my PC.

derp.jpg

As much as it is handy, I cant see the point in actually having to make that shortcut, or install Pokki, or any other modification (first or third party) just to make the PC easier to use. Microsoft should have fixed everything before releasing it. When I install an OS, I dont want to use tonnes of third party programs just to make it like what I am used to. Hence why I am staying with 7 until they get their ideas together again :(

spirit

Staff member
Yeah I know you can do that. I did. And I did it for my mum too to make things easier for her.

Would be nice if they did it for us though. The shut down method in 8 is daft to say the least. And like I said before, they need to make it more obvious how to close metro apps.

Yeah I know you can do that. I did. And I did it for my mum too to make things easier for her.

Would be nice if they did it for us though. The shut down method in 8 is daft to say the least. And like I said before, they make it more obvious how to close metro apps.

Hence why I detest Windows 8. People dont want to have to add shortcuts just to do simple things like shutting down or using the classic start menu. It is more trouble than what 2 seconds off startup time is worth.

Stay with 7. It is simpler, and more convenient. If you are five, and like the bright colours of metro, and do not care about how you access things on the computer, use 8.

spirit

Staff member
I want to give 8.1 a shot when it comes out. Should be a bit better than 8 I think.

It makes me laugh slightly how the BETAs for 8 were only deactivated in January and by April, there is a new update to the OS.

Craaash and Buuurrnnn...

@Spirit tell me how you get on, I will be interested to know if they have added anything back into 8.1 from 7 that they removed. I might give it a small shot in a VM if I think it is worth it. I definately wont use it as my main OS though.

spirit

Staff member
@Spirit tell me how you get on, I will be interested to know if they have added anything back into 8.1 from 7 that they removed. I might give it a small shot in a VM if I think it is worth it. I definately wont use it as my main OS though.
Sure. Might even use the public beta as a primary OS, but I'd probably test it in a VM first just to be sure that it was stable.

Sure. Might even use the public beta as a primary OS, but I'd probably test it in a VM first just to be sure that it was stable.

Take it from experience. Don't use the BETAs as your main OS. Causes too many problems when it expires. With your PC spec, just run it in a VM or old PC you don't use.

spirit

Staff member
Take it from experience. Don't use the BETAs as your main OS. Causes too many problems when it expires. With your PC spec, just run it in a VM or old PC you don't use.

I've run beta operating systems and software in the past. Might just run it in a VM though.

salvage-this

You could run it on a separate HDD. That is how I usually do it. I have a few spares that I use that I tore out of laptops that I couldn't fix.

spirit

Staff member
You could run it on a separate HDD. That is how I usually do it. I have a few spares that I use that I tore out of laptops that I couldn't fix.

Could do. Not got any SATA ones spare at the moment, and I've tried dual booting 7 and 8 in the past. It didn't go too well (8 is picky when you try and dual-boot it with 7). ;)

I think a VM may be the best option. :)

salvage-this

I install them without the other drive connected. That way I don't mess with how the other boots. It is a bit more hassle when you have to change the boot order to boot the different systems but it works really well if you want to test the OS with all of your current hardware.

speedyink

VIP Member

Would be nice if they did it for us though. The shut down method in 8 is daft to say the least. And like I said before, they need to make it more obvious how to close metro apps.

Oh I see, yeah it would've been nice. As with the booting straight into desktop function to begin with. Otherwise, most of the important stuff you need it accessed by right clicking the bottom left hand corner (it's like the alternate start menu). To close metro apps, right click the top left corner (weird, yes)

Could do. Not got any SATA ones spare at the moment, and I've tried dual booting 7 and 8 in the past. It didn't go too well (8 is picky when you try and dual-boot it with 7). ;)

I think a VM may be the best option. :)

Never had an issue here. Even dual booting off the same hard drive in partitions. In fact my windows 8 install from ages ago is still installed on here on a partition. Should format that...

spirit

Staff member
I install them without the other drive connected. That way I don't mess with how the other boots. It is a bit more hassle when you have to change the boot order to boot the different systems but it works really well if you want to test the OS with all of your current hardware.

I'm pretty sure when I tried that it didn't work - it was a while ago now so I can't remember. I don't remember ever being able to get them to the point where you could select which OS to boot from.

If I can find another SATA hard drive (may have one actually, only 80GB but that's big enough for the OS) it might just plug it in and install the beta on there when it's released. :)

speedyink

VIP Member
I'm pretty sure when I tried that it didn't work - it was a while ago now so I can't remember. I don't remember ever being able to get them to the point where you could select which OS to boot from.

If I can find another SATA hard drive (may have one actually, only 80GB but that's big enough for the OS) it might just plug it in and install the beta on there when it's released. :)

Really? Windows 8 even has a new OS Select menu that supports a mouse. It only appears when you have windows 8 as default though, and if you choose windows 7 it has this small reboot it has to do, adding to startup time.

salvage-this

I'm not talking about having a boot menu with both operating systems. I'm saying have each drive completely independent from the other. You would have to switch in the BIOS what HDD you want to boot from. That way if the beta is terrible you can just leave Windows 7 as the primary drive and format the other with no hassle.

StrangleHold

Staff member
Its just another way for Microshaft to start getting money for Service Packs. Started after Vista with 7. Windows 7 should have been a free SP. Bet Microshaft will start releasing updates with added features and charging 20 bucks a pop.