Windows 8.1, Start Menu return

spirit

Staff member
Really? Windows 8 even has a new OS Select menu that supports a mouse. It only appears when you have windows 8 as default though, and if you choose windows 7 it has this small reboot it has to do, adding to startup time.
Could have fooled me, I never knew it had one because I could never get it to multi-boot with 7 correctly, and 8 was the default OS. I must have done something along the way but I've been experimenting with multi-boots for a while now (usually with XP and/or Vista and 7).

I'm not talking about having a boot menu with both operating systems. I'm saying have each drive completely independent from the other. You would have to switch in the BIOS what HDD you want to boot from. That way if the beta is terrible you can just leave Windows 7 as the primary drive and format the other with no hassle.
Yeah I knew what you were talking about. My Dad does that. I'll probably do it that way, or just stick to a virtual machine for convenience.

Its just another way for Microshaft to start getting money for Service Packs. Started after Vista with 7. Windows 7 should have been a free SP. Bet Microshaft will start releasing updates with added features and charging 20 bucks a pop.
It would have been nice if it was a free update or service pack for 8, but this is Micro$oft we're talking about here. I guess this is almost comparable to the 98 and 98 SE situation?

Service Pack 1 cost money at one point?
I don't believe a service pack has ever cost money. Strangle was just saying that Microsoft's decision to make 8.1 an entirely new OS rather than just an update or service pack for 8 meant it was a way of getting more money out of customers.

DMGrier

VIP Member
They will be offering yearly updates in between major releases. It is still up in the air if these major updates will cost, I am hearing that windows blue will not cost in a hope to push sales but once and if M$ can get back on the ball with the sales in the future updates are suppose to be similar in price to OS X updates releases.

Big deal about the start menu since there are fixes for that already, I am more excited about the Metro fixes to make it more usable. From what I have read to include more icon options when you right click on them which one of those option is to resize the icons. Plus the ability to run split screen which currently only lets you run a 75/25 split will able to do to a 50/50 split. I am mainly looking at this feature since I am in college now and I am taking a mix of ground and online classes which means I can have my text book open and do my assignments on one screen without doing constant switching.

Also on a side note when we look at service packs being free this is true but when you look at the amount of work going into this update if it will be called a service pack it looks like it has more gui changes then any service in the past few release so I would expect it to cost.

Last edited:
I am mainly looking at this feature since I am in college now and I am taking a mix of ground and online classes which means I can have my text book open and do my assignments on one screen without doing constant switching.

Hence why I still use 7. And if that is not good enough, just plug in a second screen into my 9300GT. Simples.

I am really considering looking into CrunchBang or DebianNet or something though. Really considering it. If I can learn how to fluently use it, I wont ever have to be pushed back like I am with 8. It is free and constantly being developed. Especially now things like Android are branching off of it (Android and the 2.0.8 Linux kernal if I remember correctly).

speedyink

VIP Member
Its just another way for Microshaft to start getting money for Service Packs. Started after Vista with 7. Windows 7 should have been a free SP. Bet Microshaft will start releasing updates with added features and charging 20 bucks a pop.

How about Microsoft just gives away all versions of Windows :p
Seriously though, There was a huge jump between Windows XP to Vista, and from Vista to Win 7. When has a service pack ever included such massive changes? Hell, windows 98 was basically just a more animated windows 95, they should've called it Windows 95 SP1 and released it for free. And windows XP should've been SP2, since it's just a Crayola funded version of windows 98. Sounds like a GREAT business model!
Even with the new business model, whats the difference between paying 20 bucks a year to paying $130 or whatever every 3 years?

Could have fooled me, I never knew it had one because I could never get it to multi-boot with 7 correctly, and 8 was the default OS. I must have done something along the way but I've been experimenting with multi-boots for a while now (usually with XP and/or Vista and 7).

Weird, I just installed as I did every other dual boot

Hence why I still use 7. And if that is not good enough, just plug in a second screen into my 9300GT. Simples.

And...why do you need Windows 7 to multitask regular windows software? The only time it's not possible in Windows 8 is with the new Metro apps, which Win 7 doesn't have access to anyway.

Last edited:

DMGrier

VIP Member

I am really considering looking into CrunchBang or DebianNet or something though. Really considering it. If I can learn how to fluently use it, I wont ever have to be pushed back like I am with 8. It is free and constantly being developed. Especially now things like Android are branching off of it (Android and the 2.0.8 Linux kernal if I remember correctly).

So you use windows 7 for dual monitor support, so your saying windows 8 doesn't support dual monitors?

Linux is great and in many ways better and maybe after college I will go back to using s my PRIMARY desktop but I am writing crazy papers per week right now and with all the page requirements from my Professors LibreOffice just would not cut it.

So you use windows 7 for dual monitor support, so your saying windows 8 doesn't support dual monitors?

Linux is great and in many ways better and maybe after college I will go back to using s my PRIMARY desktop but I am writing crazy papers per week right now and with all the page requirements from my Professors LibreOffice just would not cut it.

It does. As far as I know, with dual screen, you couldn't run a metro app on both screens, which annoyed me.

And...why do you need Windows 7 to multitask regular windows software? The only time it's not possible in Windows 8 is with the new Metro apps, which Win 7 doesn't have access to anyway.

I have no need for metro. It is just a waste of HDD space. I use 7 because then I don't have to spend hours removing things I don't want. Its just easier.:p

spirit

Staff member
Barely takes any time at all to remove the metro apps. Right click them on the tiles screen, then select uninstall. Takes seconds at most.

speedyink

VIP Member
But because I have nothing to benefit from that, there is no point upgrading...that is the point.

...Then don't? Don't know why we have to hear about it. Forums would be much cleaner if people stopped posting in threads about things they're apparently not interested in.

I'm hooked on the metro music app...makes not having Pandora in Canada less painful

Last edited:

Okedokey

...Then don't? Don't know why we have to hear about it. Forums would be much cleaner if people stopped posting in threads about things they're apparently not interested in.

I'm hooked on the metro music app...makes not having Pandora in Canada less painful

People are entitled to discuss anything they want mate (within the rules).

claptonman

I don't believe a service pack has ever cost money. Strangle was just saying that Microsoft's decision to make 8.1 an entirely new OS rather than just an update or service pack for 8 meant it was a way of getting more money out of customers.

I get what he means now. Windows Seven should have never existed, should have just made Vista SP3 and have the same features as 7.

People are entitled to discuss anything they want mate (within the rules).

I see his point, though. It seems like they're complaining about something they don't have to get.

2048Megabytes

Ha! Microsoft breaks their own products and then charges people to fix the issue. Quite dishonest in my opinion providing inferior services and products. I am staying with Windows 7 and my Linux Mint version 13.

I support Vista and Windows 7 at my work so I have no reason to dabble with the putrid Windows 8 operating system.

Okedokey

Ha! Microsoft breaks their own products and then charges people to fix the issue. Quite dishonest in my opinion providing inferior services and products. ....

Watch you don't get a libel case against you mate.

Claiming MS breaks their OS knowingly to gain extra revenue for repairing it is essentially fraud and you need to show proof.

DMGrier

VIP Member
Ha! Microsoft breaks their own products and then charges people to fix the issue. Quite dishonest in my opinion providing inferior services and products. I am staying with Windows 7 and my Linux Mint version 13.

I support Vista and Windows 7 at my work so I have no reason to dabble with the putrid Windows 8 operating system.

There is a difference between breaking a product and releasing a fix example being more Vista with the release of SP1 and releasing Windows 8 which runs fine and releasing a update to add much needed features.

spirit

Staff member
Looks like it is now official that the start button is returning and there will be an option to boot straight to the desktop. I see also there is now possibly going to be the option to have a custom image as your start screen background which is something MS should have included in the RTM Windows 8 http://mashable.com/2013/05/30/windows-8-1-features/

I wonder if the new changes will make people more inclined to upgrade from 7 to 8? I read elsewhere that 8.1 is going to be an update to 8 (like a service pack), so you won't have to buy the OS again hopefully.

Ironic how just as MS are reintroducing the old methods, I've just gotten used to the new methods. Bam!

2048Megabytes

There is a difference between breaking a product and releasing a fix example being more Vista with the release of SP1 and releasing Windows 8 which runs fine and releasing a update to add much needed features.

Do you use Windows Vista? Even with Service Pack 2 it does not run well. The Users I support with Vista complain many times about their system not running well. Microsoft could fix it if they wanted to. They have no desire. Just spend another $100 and buy the Windows 7 or 8 operating system they say.

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Do you use Windows Vista? Even with Service Pack 2 it does not run well. The Users I support with Vista complain many times about their system not running well. Microsoft could fix it if they wanted to. They have no desire. Just spend another $100 and buy the Windows 7 or 8 operating system they say.

How is the rest of their system? With the two service packs and a decent system Vista runs perfectly fine.