Windows 8 Dev Build Available for Download.

wolfeking

banned
just to be sure, Using the boot flashdrive program from Ubuntu should work with this as long as we select 7 as the .iso and then select the dev preview as the .iso file?

strollin

I have it installed and running. The new Metro gui is very much like a smartphone OS. The Start page has your apps "tiled" on the screen and when you run them, they run full screen like on a phone. It's oriented toward a touch device but I don't have a touch devie to try it on.

wolfeking

banned
ok, got it downloaded, but its not working on my flashkey for some reason. So... waiting for mum to fetch some DVDs....

NyxCharon

windows8.png

Interesting so far, still working playing with it. Vbox setup was pretty easy, luckily.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
LoL you people want Windows 8 and it's still in the development and contains many bugs.What's the rush lol...aren't you satisfied with Windows 7 xD ?
Hell I am still on Windows 98 and XP and I am able to do everything you people do on Windows 7 lol.
Besides all the software I bought was WAY TOO EXPENSIVE and I am not so crazy to switch to Windows 7 or 8 just because it's new and then buy the newest versions of ALL that expensive software again just because my current software is not compatible with Windows 7 and 8 lol.Not to mention that all the programs work under Windows XP :p
I wasted more than 4000 dollars on all original software I have and believe it or not none of it is not compatible on Windows 7 even when using the compatibility mode.So I'll be damn if I waste so MUCH money AGAIN just to buy the newest versions of all that software JUST TO MAKE IT COMPATIBLE with Windows 7 lmao!!!!!!And even the newest versions of all that software WORKS on XP while on Windows 7 ONLY the newest versions work lmao!
And please don't say that I can always use the copy of virtual XP under Windows 7 because I will rather use the real XP than virtual XP.

I am not saying that Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 are bad.No they are not bad of course.They are great they really are and I like them so much believe it or not,but if I have to waste SO MUCH money on ALL my software AGAIN PLUS on new Windows OS TOO,that sucks lol and it is a LOT LOT LOT of money and why should I do that and waste a LOT of money if EVERY SINGLE program wether it is the oldest or newest version works on XP lmao!

Say whatever you want,but I am sticking with XP.........unless if someone gives me 5000 dollars so I can buy newest Windows OS together with all the software I have :D Hehehehe :p

Cheers folks!

wolfeking

banned
LoL you people want Windows 8 and it's still in the development and contains many bugs.What's the rush lol...aren't you satisfied with Windows 7 xD ?
Hell I am still on Windows 98 and XP and I am able to do everything you people do on Windows 7 lol.
Besides all the software I bought was WAY TOO EXPENSIVE and I am not so crazy to switch to Windows 7 or 8 just because it's new and then buy the newest versions of ALL that expensive software again just because my current software is not compatible with Windows 7 and 8 lol.Not to mention that all the programs work under Windows XP :p
I wasted more than 4000 dollars on all original software I have and believe it or not none of it is not compatible on Windows 7 even when using the compatibility mode.So I'll be damn if I waste so MUCH money AGAIN just to buy the newest versions of all that software JUST TO MAKE IT COMPATIBLE with Windows 7 lmao!!!!!!And even the newest versions of all that software WORKS on XP while on Windows 7 ONLY the newest versions work lmao!
And please don't say that I can always use the copy of virtual XP under Windows 7 because I will rather use the real XP than virtual XP.

I am not saying that Windows Vista,Windows 7 and Windows 8 are bad.No they are not bad of course.They are great they really are and I like them so much believe it or not,but if I have to waste SO MUCH money on ALL my software AGAIN PLUS on new Windows OS TOO,that sucks lol and it is a LOT LOT LOT of money and why should I do that and waste a LOT of money if EVERY SINGLE program wether it is the oldest or newest version works on XP lmao!

Say whatever you want,but I am sticking with XP.........unless if someone gives me 5000 dollars so I can buy newest Windows OS together with all the software I have :D Hehehehe :p

Cheers folks!
absolutely not. But i wanted to make a stab at trying some debugging. thats what Dev preview is for after all.

S.T.A.R.S.

banned
absolutely not. But i wanted to make a stab at trying some debugging. thats what Dev preview is for after all.

Oh thank God lol.I already thought you were gonna say that I should buy all that again because it's new and better ^^
Yea I know what DEV is for lol.By the way are there any news about new Visual Studio? Not that I am gonna switch to it or anything lol,but I was just wondering.And hey who knows maybe Microsoft finally decides to put the method for copying simple folders/directories in it ^^ Still not enough good reason for me to switch ^^ ,but it would be cool so you can avoid writing so many lines of code for the same thing hehe :p
Still I like writing more code than do all from just one line...I am crazy I know XD XD XD!!!

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
If this is what Windows 8 is going to be like then i think il give it a miss,Its too much like a Smartphones Gui! IM ON A PC!!!!

Last edited:

wellhellothere

If this is what Windows 8 is going to be like then i think il give it a miss,Its too much like a Smartphones Gui! IM ON A PC!!!!

Basically this.

Been on it all morning. Its a Tablet GUI, that you can slide out the way and return to, what is basically Windows 7 with some minor changes (on the surface anyway).

Its a big dissapointment to me, and is quite clearly built from the ground up for tablets and smartphones. It also looks like they're trying to take a leaf out of Apple's book in making the grammar and presentation as 'simple' as possible, but it just comes across like its treating you as a retard.

I for one, will not be buying - and i don't think any desktop or laptop user in their right mind should plan on running this OS

CrayonMuncher

Basically this.

Been on it all morning. Its a Tablet GUI, that you can slide out the way and return to, what is basically Windows 7 with some minor changes (on the surface anyway).

Its a big dissapointment to me, and is quite clearly built from the ground up for tablets and smartphones. It also looks like they're trying to take a leaf out of Apple's book in making the grammar and presentation as 'simple' as possible, but it just comes across like its treating you as a retard.

I for one, will not be buying - and i don't think any desktop or laptop user in their right mind should plan on running this OS

This is what I am afraid of, I haven't had chance to install it yet, having a good touch screen interface is important in this current market but but at the end of the day most people on their home PCs are using a keyboard and mouse and I really dont imagine current touch screen interfaces will make them obsolete, I for one will always prefer to control my pc with a keyboard and mouse, There should be an option to enable either a touchscreen friendly ui or enable a ui for standard mice and keyboard setups as a default ui depending on your hardware setup.

I love how microsoft are consistent with one thing, getting what end users want wrong.

wolfeking

banned
I love how microsoft are consistent with one thing, getting what end users want wrong.
I hear a sig!
And I agree. I currently havent tried it yet, but rest assured when I do, I will be looking for a Classic, or Areo, or some flashback to the DESKTOP world, away from the Ipad world Gates is in.

wellhellothere

I was suggesting more that it will be a stop-gap between 7, and the next serious Windows desktop OS. I'd like to think so anyway!

wolfeking

banned
Id like to see them adapt a new File system. But that is not going to happen. After all NTFS hasnt been new for 18 years.

and, yea, stop gap would be right. But then again 7 is more like a Vista R2 (look at the servers 2008 and 2008R2)

strollin

Maybe MS has people working for them that are smarter than some here give them credit for. They are trying to create an OS that could run on pretty much any device. I'm not saying they will be successful, that remains to be seen. But what if your phone, tablet, PC, laptop, in-dash car computer, home entertainment system, etc... all ran the same OS?

Not to mention that there's lots of people that are intimidated by the mouse or keyboard but love using a touch interface. Remember that there are more non-geeks out there than there are geeks.