Windows 8 opinions

Tumultus

I've looked through reviews, etc., and am really just wanting to see what you good people think of it. No bickering or I'll travel back in time and put asbestos in your crib.

Punk

Staff member
It's pretty good, used it for about five minutes before my GF's laptop died but from what I've seen it's good. The new UI is good looking but there is a way to change it back to a classic Win7 UI :)

spirit

Staff member
There's already been about half a dozen threads about this. My opinion is 'I prefer Windows 7.'

Havoc

Windows 7 is better in my Opinion, Windows 8 will not last, Since Microsoft has already begin working on windows 9...

i_hate_toms

pros:
*The modern UI is pretty cool. it takes 5 to 10 minutes to understand how the damn thing works, and once ur past that, you can do everything in Windows 8 that you could in windows 7.

*It feels somewhat faster and more responsive than Windows 7. Startups and shutdowns are definitely faster.

*A Microsoft account keeps all your Windows 8 computers in sync. You log-in to all your Windows 8 devices using a single user profile that's stored in the cloud.

*Live tiles at first might look like Windows 7 (vista sidebar) gadgets showing live feeds from the internet, but they are more than that. Clicking on them launches full-screen modern UI apps, which you'd either love, or hate. I love them.

*I've heard rumors that Windows 8 is more resistant to malware compared to Windows 7. I'm not sure if that's true, because to be honest I've never had an infection on a Windows 7 computer, neither on a Vista. Last time I remember a virus, was when I was in junior high surfing something obscene on a Windows XP system running the terrible "PC Tools Free Antivirus".

cons:
*No Start button. Not much of a con, because the new start screen more than compensates for the missing start orb, and there are 3rd party alternative start button apps available for download all over the internet. But I for one, have not installed any of those. The start screen is good for me.

*Weird multitasking implementation while working with modern UI apps. Of course you can switch to the desktop mode and enjoy the traditional windows multiprogramming facilities you've always had, but if you want to run lots of modern UI apps at the same time, it can get pretty annoying. Not that you can't, of course you can. But it feels weird. Maybe it's just me.

*No Aero. This is the one thing I really dislike about Windows 8. When you are on the desktop, all the Windows 7 (Vista) Aero effects are gone. No 3D glass effects, no 3D flip, and flat ugly window borders with sharp unrounded edges. I've heard of people who dislike Aero. But I'm not one of them. I miss Aero.

Overall, it's not a complete waste. There are things about Windows 8 you'd come to like. In fact, I'm typing this on Windows 8. It's not as bad as some people describe it. But the UI changes seem to be all geared towards a touch based device. It works perfectly ok with a mouse and a keyboard, you can still do everything you want to do, but on a traditional computer without a touch screen, it feels a little awkward. You'd get used to it though, and over time, you'd stop missing Windows 7. Of course, all this is my personal opinion. Your experience might be something entirely different. So if I were you, I would try it myself for a day or two before agreeing with things I read on the internet. Good luck. :)

Calin

The Aero thing is the only thing that I don;t like in 8...
But there are lots of things that I don't like in 7...

AlienMenace

Yea, you should go to a store and try it out. But I am running Windows 8 Pro x64 on my computer now. I was running the Release Preview version from August to December. But since I was coming from Windows XP Pro x64, and had no experience with With Windows 7, I don't have anything to do with "Aero".
If you want a start button instead of the metro UI, then download "Classic Shell". It is free.
Remember that 8 is built on the Windows 7 platform.

speedyink

VIP Member
I'm actually liking it on my new desktop. It's not a surprise, I liked it before.

Really enjoying Xbox music. It's pretty sick to just stream random music, and the smart DJ is fantastic. It seems to be a really good OS for my media PC that's hooked up the to the 46" TV and home theatre system.

Okedokey

Yea, except for hundreds of code optimizations, and a different FS, and most importantly a new core. But none of that matters, right?

As i understand it the FS hasn't been implemented, and is unlikely to be the case for quite a while.

pelon

I don't like the new look in Vista, 7 and Win8.

I still heart my Windows XP Pro/Ubuntu on Intel Core 2 Quad desktop. It's good enough for me.

EvanK

I've had the opportunity to try out W8 on a couple of occasions now. My laptop is running the consumer preview, and I've tried it out at a couple of stores on laptops and desktops, plus on a few tablets like the MS Surface. Overall I've come away quite impressed.

First off the bat, I'm going to go ahead and say that I applaud MS fo taking a risk and changing things up. I think that it was a necessary change, it was goingto happen eventually one way or another. Like it or not, the general consumer is moving away from desktops and laptops, in favour of tablets and even their smartphones to an extent. I'll be honest too, when it comes to typing out relatively short emails, browsing the web or playing the odd casual game, my tablet's much better than my desktop. I don't NEED an i7 for playing Angry Birds or Googleing something, and lower powered hand held devices serve that purpose just fine. Not only that, but their interface (at least IMO) is much better for those everyday tasks. That's the way that the market is headed, and MS decided to jump on board.

Whether Metro (or "Moden UI" as it's called now because of a copyright infringement) is good on a traditional setup (mouse, keyboard, non-touch monitor) is a different story entirely. I don't think that it's bad per se, but it's not as easy or intuitive as it is on a tablet or touch screen PC. It works, and after you get used to it I don't think that it's any better or worse than W7. What W8 offers for the desktop user is a more future proof setup, and speed and performance improvements. Nothing more, and nothing less. People are saying that "MS will come to their senses, and release an update that brings back Aero and the start menu", and I think that's crap. MS won't take a step back in time, they recognize that for us geeks and nerds that WANT the start menu, we'll find a 3rd party alternative and get it back. But they also see where the market is headed and how their software needs to be designed for touch, which is the future like it or not.

Whether you agree or disagree is totally up to you, but I've been pretty impressed and when I build my new PC I'm definitely going W8. Metro isn't any better for desktops, but I don't think that it's any worse either. Metro's awesome on touch devices, I absolutely love it on my Windows Phone, and it's very useful on tablets like the Surface. That's the future of computing, so I for one will embrace it.