Windows 8: Who's Getting It

Are you upgrading to Windows 8?

• Yes, I'll upgrade.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • No, I don't want to.

Votes: 32 88.9%

• Total voters

Machin3

Anyone here getting Windows 8? Just curious to see the numbers. I, personally, am not simply because I see nothing wrong with Windows 7, so what's the point. How bout you guys?

voyagerfan99

Master of Turning Things Off and Back On Again
Staff member
Nope, nope, and nope. I have not been impressed with Windows 8, and Microsoft seems to have targeted it more towards touchscreen tablets than desktops.

NyxCharon

Well, I mean I'm going to download it since i get it for free (through my school). But i don't see myself using it on any new builds

No, it should be windows touch, along with Windows 7. I'm upgrading at windows 9 probobly, upgrading in 3 years, when I get an ssd.

wolfeking

banned
I voted no, but I will probably get a copy just to have ifn I need it. Probably at that point I will still be on 2000/XP or at a most Vista. I am going vista 64 on my new build, so that will be there for years.

tremmor

No. Have windows 7 pro. When it expires and no updates, critical or security and done.
If i bought or had a new build of course. It just makes sense. I will not do it just because its there.

johnb35

Administrator
Staff member
No. Have windows 7 pro. When it expires and no updates, critical or security and done.
If i bought or had a new build of course. It just makes sense. I will not do it just because its there.

When windows 7 support ends, there will be like 3 new operating systems out by then. I mean XP is supported through 2014 now. I believe it came out in 2001 so thats 13 years for an OS.

claptonman

What everyone else said. If they ever come out with a desktop-oriented version, and I have a new build, then sure, why not, if its similarly priced?

tremmor

When windows 7 support ends, there will be like 3 new operating systems out by then. I mean XP is supported through 2014 now. I believe it came out in 2001 so thats 13 years for an OS.

Im surprised Johnb. I did not think so near the end. I have 4 other computers with XP Pro . So, as long as the updates are there then i will wait. Didn't know about the 2014 date. Then again, Microsoft has been good about the updates and support i think. Been a good ride. Will update and buy when needed.
thanks
tremmor

There was talk about the end for xp soon maybe two years ago. I think. .....

spynoodle

I'm currently running an old version of Win8 developer preview (build 8102). There's a registry hack for this particular version that makes it basically look and act just like Windows 7, with some under-the-hood memory tweaks and an improved task manager. I never broke down and payed the $100 for an actual version of Windows 7, so this is good for me. :) It's supposed to expire January of next year, so I'll have to figure out some way around the set expiration date. :(

StrangleHold

Staff member
Microshaft is notorious for not remembering past mistakes. ME/Vista. Smart phones/Tablets get popular, they freak out and release a Smart phone desktop OS. Just wait, people will install it and cant even figure out how to shut it down. People start raising hell, then Microshaft will release a patch to turn the crap off.

MyCattMaxx

For me W8 will depend on what the price is.
So far I have made it to work like a desktop with some tweaks here and there.

But so far the pluses of W8 are not worth that much to me since W7 works just fine.

Shane

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope,I don't like it at all....They made it too much like a Tablets GUI like mentioned.

I just prefer to keep things very simple...id still be using XP Pro if only it supported DX11 and had decent 64bit support. :D

Last edited:

spirit

Staff member
I said "no I don't want to upgrade" but I suspect I will eventually end up upgrading just like I did with Vista. :/

I have and like Windows 7 Pro right now, supports for Windows 7 Pro ends in 2020 I believe, so another 8 years of updates to go for Windows 7 Pro. By 2020 there will like 3 more Windows OSes out anyway.

Machin3

I said "no I don't want to upgrade" but I suspect I will eventually end up upgrading just like I did with Vista. :/

I have and like Windows 7 Pro right now, supports for Windows 7 Pro ends in 2020 I believe, so another 8 years of updates to go for Windows 7 Pro. By 2020 there will like 3 more Windows OSes out anyway.

Resist the urge! :p

spirit

Staff member
Machin3 said:
Resist the urge! :p
Well you never know, the full version may be *vaguely* usable if you're on a desktop or a laptop or something that's not a bloody tablet. I'm sick of tablets now. :/